Topic ClosedAUDIOPHILE "TEST" DISCS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AUDIOPHILE "TEST" DISCS
    Posted: April 04 2006 at 13:22

In a recent issue of "Hi Fi Choice", they issued a supplement listing "the 50 best hi-fi test discs of all time". the idea behind this goes thus....

"the key when auditioning any hi-fi product is to take a variety of favourite discs with you, the sort your system will have to handle in order to bring you musical pleasure. and it always helps to have a few extremes - discs that will thoroughly test certain parameters of a component's overall performance."

most of the cd's they list are classical but there are a few rock/prog gems included:

" captain beefheart - clear spot (reprise) - the music is all about timing, and big eyed beans from venus should build up an unstoppable accelerating momentum.

eric clapton - unplugged (reprise) - see if you can spot the piano playing slightly off the beat and rhythmically across bar lines 2:16 into layla.

grateful dead - reckoning (arista) - check out the bass picking on Jack-a-roe, which will show up any shortfalls in bass agility and timing.

jimi hendrix - axis : bold as love (MCA) - hendrix's awesome backwards guitar on Castles made of sand (1:31) should drip from your speakers like honeyed cream.

led zeppelin - physical graffiti (swan song 2-200) - the staggering drums of john bonham - you should be hearing real skins and cymbals, particularly on the epic in my time of dying.

pink floyd - wish you were here (EMI) - the first four and a half minutes will test any system. if it cannot pick up the synth drip six seconds in, deal with the incremental drone volume or separate the ambience around the tinkling glasses and gilmour's heavenly chime (4:07) give your system an early bath.

the rolling stones - let it bleed (ABKCO SACD) - midnight rambler shifts up a gear after 2:15 as jagger picks up a harmonica. can your system cope with the changes in rhythm? "

there are many more lp's and cd's that are of exceptional sound quality, here are a few of my own suggestions i use for testing gear ;

marillion - script for a jester's tear (CD) - crystal clear spacious sound, drums nice and punchy - stand too close you could get hurt!!

pink floyd - dark side of the moon (VINYL/SACD) - very close to the ultimate sound, feel yourself get lost in this. more stereo tricks and effects here than you could shake a stick at.

peter gabriel - so (SACD) - sumptuous  sound, clear and punchy, the bass should make the floor rumble.

genesis - nursery cryme (VINYL/CD) - full clear sound, listen very carefully to the  intro on musical box and you should just hear a closed hi-hat being tapped slowly to the beat.

deep purple - machine head (CD/SACD) - powerful solid driving beat guaranteed to get you moving!

yes - relayer (VINYL/CD) - plenty going on in soundchaser to keep your ears and your system busy!

leo kottke - mudlark (VINYL) - love listening to the clear intimate sound on this one. hi-hat jumps out at you.

porcupine tree - metanoia (CD) - amazing sound quality on all the steve wilson  albums i've heard, clear and spacious, soaring guitars, and that amazing drum sound!

metallica -and justice for all (CD) - scorching guitars and earth-moving drums on this one - amazing!

stevie ray vaughan - couldn't stand the weather (VINYL/CD/SACD) - brilliant clear sound, those cymbal crashes will make you jump - tin pan alley is a classic audiophile must-hear!

tommy - the who (SACD) - can't believe this was recorded in 1969 - sounds solid, fresh and clear, great job on remastering.

bakerloo - (CD) - another excellent 1969 recording of blues group bakerloo ( originally EMI HARVEST ), crystal clear sound, good stereo imagery, and a brilliant drum solo gang bang - you can almost see the kit!

if any one has any other favourite recordings, vinyl or cd/sacd/dvd-audio (mainly based on outstanding sound quality),  your suggestions will be most appreciated!

Edited by mystic fred
Prog Archives Tour Van
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 21:19
Good suggestions. Others I like to use:

Steely Dan - Aja - Gadd's drums on the title cut just kick nice and crisp.

Alan Parsons - I Robot (Or just about anything else he did) - I love hearing those tubular bells & harps jump out on the opening track.

The Who - Tommy the new SACD - Pete's acoustic guitar workout on Capt. Walker comes in really clean.

Zappa - Apostrophe - So many voices and instruments to listen for on Yellow Snow.
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 22:30
Wow dudes. I guess if your spending as much as youd spend on a new car the sales person might let ya listen to all that. Me, at the price range I shop,  I'm lucky if I can find a sales person that will let me turn anything on   On those rare occasions I am getting something I can test I always bring in Rush Caress of Steel. Que it up to Didacts and Narpets and watch the salesman face scrunch up.. its always a hoot.
 Post Reply Post Reply