FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe thin line between music and sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The thin line between music and sound
    Posted: April 10 2006 at 16:27

Some days ago a friend told me about a band called Sunn0))) wich another friend of his was listening to. I found their name interesting so I checked them up. According to wikipedia.org, their music is classified as Drone Metal, or just Drone. The song I heard was like 15 minutes or something and contained only some guitars and bas guitars building up (an atmospheric?) feedback wich reached it's highest point in the middle of the song and then faded. The only other element were a few screams wich probably were ment to be evil.

After wasting my time listening to this sound I started to wonder - is this music? Or is it just sound? Where do you draw the line? Is there a line? Tell me you opinions!!  

Edited by BookAboutSalad
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 17:12

Sunn 0))) bores me to death. I don't get them, there doesn't seem to be anything there, just sound.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
BookAboutSalad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 19:20
It sure is a total waste of time ^^ I mean, who sit's down with their headphones and a nice cup of tea and listens to feedback for an hour?

Edited by BookAboutSalad
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 21:15

Music has no limits, what is and isn't good music is determined by the ear of the listener,

that said is it any different than listening to a long drawn out ambient piece of music by say Pauline Oliveros or Terry Riley or Merzbow or Lustmord or Anthony Braxton? all of which are applauded as pure genius in their fields of music?

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 21:31
There's probably a lot of music I listen to and am in awe by that many people would consider "just noise" or some other equivalent. I haven't heard Sunn0))) (aren't they pretty popular???), but I can say that as mithrandir stated in the previous post, "music has no limits."
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 00:43

A music professor once told me that his dictionary defined music as "organized sound"; so, one could say that a LOT of stuff that doesn't sound very musical IS music.    It was an Electronic Music professor, incidentally.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 17:35

Originally posted by Zac M Zac M wrote:

There's probably a lot of music I listen to and am in awe by that many people would consider "just noise" or some other equivalent. I haven't heard Sunn0))) (aren't they pretty popular???), but I can say that as mithrandir stated in the previous post, "music has no limits."

Sunn0))) has a decent following among underground metal fans I believe, yes.

I do agree that music has no limits, but I personally see nothing in this group.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 20:40
Earth! especially Earth 2
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:43
Music has limits and its called Merzbow
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
yeppp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 12:06
Well  i love Drone especially " Ambient " Drone and some Drone rock bands.. you have to listen these bands with a different attitude. You cant wait " when the next riff starts " or waiting something " cool " to happen.. It's about the atmosphere it creates. Some one mentioned Merzbow - i think most of the people on progarchives wouldn't call that music. yeah it's noise but Organized noise. i find it intresting but hard to listen. Infact The most Experimental music is usually MINIMAL not complex !! 

Edited by yeppp
BookAboutSalad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 16:56

Sunn 0))) is a tribute to earth  (for thoose who didn't know)

Organized sound is music? Okay, so when I can sit in my room and scream "cheeeeeese", record it and call it music? Hey, that's a good idea :D

Okay, maybe it's up to oneself to decide what is music and what is sound, but I have problems to find the thing with Sunn 0))).  I know much more exciting bands that just build up atmospheres.

And why listen to music you don't like when you can listen to music you like? :D

IcedSabbath View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 01:27

Originally posted by BookAboutSalad BookAboutSalad wrote:

It sure is a total waste of time ^^ I mean, who sit's down with their headphones and a nice cup of tea and listens to feedback for an hour?

I do.

I dig drone -- the atmosphere it creates and its unabashed minimalism. I'm even in a drone band (Quiet) who will be recording/gigging within the next few months (http://www.myspace.com/quietdrone).

Sunn O))) are great, especially live. Their live show is incredible. A Sunn O))) show is an EXPERIENCE, not just a concert.

There's better drone than Sunn, though. I personally prefer Hyatari and Growing, but that's really not as much on the "Metal" side of drone as it is on the post-rock/indie side.

BUY CHEAP METAL (and prog!)
http://www.headsofmetal.cjb.net
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 03:23
Originally posted by Mithrandir Mithrandir wrote:

Music has no limits, what is and isn't good music is determined by the ear of the listener,

that said is it any different than listening to a long drawn out ambient piece of music by say Pauline Oliveros or Terry Riley or Merzbow or Lustmord or Anthony Braxton? all of which are applauded as pure genius in their fields of music?

Well said (welcome to our little Forum, BTW ), just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so music is in the ear of the listener; taste is completely subjective.

Is there really a pidgeon hole labeled "drone metal"?

Originally posted by BookAboutSalad BookAboutSalad wrote:

I mean, who sit's down with their headphones and a nice cup of tea and listens to feedback for an hour?

Welcome, too!

About 15 years ago on his 'Ragged Glory' tour, Neil Young recorded what was to become the 'Arc-Weld' live album (now that was an angry album...); the third disc of the album was "Arc" a 45 minute collage of feedback from various live versions of "Like A Hurricane", which on first listening seemed, well, unlistenable, but if you stuck with it, you began to see the structure of the piece, and where Young was going with it.

Not for everyone, sure (my wife thought there was something wrong with our amplifier the first time she heard 'Arc'), but certainly not to be dismissed.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 14:53

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Mithrandir Mithrandir wrote:

Music has no limits, what is and isn't good music is determined by the ear of the listener,

that said is it any different than listening to a long drawn out ambient piece of music by say Pauline Oliveros or Terry Riley or Merzbow or Lustmord or Anthony Braxton? all of which are applauded as pure genius in their fields of music?

Well said (welcome to our little Forum, BTW ), just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so music is in the ear of the listener; taste is completely subjective.

Is there really a pidgeon hole labeled "drone metal"?  

The funny thing is Im not even a fan of Sunn really, dont own any Sunn albums, though I had to say something, I DO happen to like O'Malley's other bands though, Burning Witch, Khanate, Teeth of the Lions,

The whole Drone Metal thing, is a recent trend and tag perpetuated by Wire mag and Southern Lord records, its supposedly a subgenre of the subgenre of metal; Doom Metal, though its really nothing new, even though they'd like to make you think its a recent phenomenon,   

lordoflight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 05:36

I still have to check out Sunn O)) and Earth. Are they similar to Khanate? because I cant bear  Khanate - they have songs of over 20minutes consisting only of feedback and tortured screaming.

I also intend to check out Boris and Mezbow - though id rather download some samples first since i dont know what to expect.

Their are many types of "organized sound" - drone metal (Earth, Khanate, Sunn O))), Sleep and Electric Wizard (to some extent), funeral doom like Skeptisicm and industrial (Einsturzde Neubauten or whathever they're called) and minimalistic ambient like Lustmord - thus they cannot all be lumped into the same group.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Music has no limits, what is and isn't good music is determined by the ear of the listener,

that said is it any different than listening to a long drawn out ambient piece of music by say Pauline Oliveros or Terry Riley or Merzbow or Lustmord or Anthony Braxton? all of which are applauded as pure genius in their fields of music?

No, it's not (and I can't get enough of Anthony Braxton). Sunn0))) and the other artists you mention seem cool, too.  

Post Reply Post Reply