Topic ClosedTrading could be considered illegal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trading could be considered illegal
    Posted: April 12 2006 at 21:49

This new thread is related to one recently closed to avoid legal problems.

I add this because if we are all informed, we can avoid personal or groupal problems.

The FBI page has published:

In the meantime, it is perfectly fine for anyone, without FBI approval, to use the following generic language on material protected under U.S. copyright law: "Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

Even when it's stupid, the word unauthorized distribution could include trading. It doesn't say reproduction and distribution, it clearly says reproduction OR distribution.

This is another one from other source:

Quote Warning the copyright proprietor has licensed this DVD (including its soundtrack) for private home use only. Unless otherwise expressly licensed by the copyright proprietor, all other rights are reserved. Any unauthorised copying, editing, exhibition, renting, lending, public performance, diffusion and or broadcast of this DVD, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited. This DVD is not to be exported, resupplied or distributed by way of trade outside the EU without a proper license from Classic Entertainment. (Disc format DVD9).

This one is even more clear. So it's 100% illegal to trade DVD's with people outside USA and the interpretation of distribution in the first screen MAY include trading inside USA.

Iván

cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 01:31
So what you are saying Ivan, is that it is both ethically and legally wrong to share, copy or distribute copywritten material - wow, that's a surprise!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 02:08

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

So what you are saying Ivan, is that it is both ethically and legally wrong to share, copy or distribute copywritten material - wow, that's a surprise!

I don't talk about ethics, but my obligation as member of Prog Archives is to avoid risks being RIAA and their associates in other countries so strong lately.

Of course the law may change from country to country, but the FBI warning ckearly states this.

Being that Prog Archives doesn't encourage or allows illegal activities, I believe this policy must be informed.

Iván

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 08:53

Ivan,

It's great that you are keeping an eye on such things on behalf of the site. I must admit, i find it astonishing that offering to sell CDs or DVDs you have legally bought may be illegal. There must be second hand CD and DVD shops world-wide. Are they really technically breaking the law every time they buy or sell a CD or DVD?

The other thing you could perhaps clarify. Does the site have any responsibility if people chose to trade in CDs and DVDs (legitimate ones, not bootlegs, copies etc.)? I.E. If the site is not actually offering to buy or sell the CDs itself, can it be implicated because someone posed a message here?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 09:02
Of course you can sell anything that you have bought. One problem may arise if you bought the CD in an internet store overseas, and the merchant wasn't authorized to sell the item to customers in your country. THEN you might have a problem if you later sell that album in your country. Especially in Germany - there are lawyers who specialize in harassing people who sell such items on Ebay. They just threaten people with lawsuits, hoping that these people settle out of court (with 3-4 figure fines).
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 09:17
I never did understand why its illegal to copy a CD for someone and yet ok to sell it second hand.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 09:25

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I never did understand why its illegal to copy a CD for someone and yet ok to sell it second hand.

You bought the CD - so you can also sell it. Same as when you buy an apple, a car our a house. But copying the CD ... in Germany it is legal if that "someone" is a relative, or a very close friend. Other than that, copying the CD and giving it to someone is essentially creating a second CD from the one you bought, and thus causing potential damage to the rights owners - because your friend might otherwise have bought the CD himself.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

You bought the CD - so you can also sell it

Yes I know that obviously. I never said you couldn't. BVut why is it ok to sell it? Don't say its like an apple because its not.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:01
^ sure it is - a compact disc is not virtual. It's a piece of plastic, some paper and a plastic case. Of course you can sell it.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:05
^Copied CDs are pieces of plastic as well, yet selling them is illegal. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:09

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

^Copied CDs are pieces of plastic as well, yet selling them is illegal. 

The copying is usually not illegal, just the selling. After all, you didn't buy them.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:47
I've download official bootlegs before now (from www.archive.org), which the bands in question, have been happy to co-operate with and have even advertised this fact as well, they freely let people record at concerts and put the concert up for free on the Internet.  Now, if the bootlegger in question was selling these on for a profit, that could be a different matter.

I have also bought a concert from an official band concert website, which have come directly from the soundboard of the band in question.

But my question is, is this legal?  I presume it is, as long as I do not re-distribute said music for a profit  (except for the one I bought)?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:16

^theoretically it may be possible that even the artist him/erself is not authorized to sell those recordings, or to give them away for free. I remember that on the Devin Townsend homepage a link to a bootleg was removed a couple of weeks later "on request of the record label". Apparently sometimes the record label has more rights than the artist.

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:22
But surely live recordings are separate to the record company?  Do record companies really have the right to the recordings of every live recording?  Even those ones done in a basement in the guitarist's house, to a small audience?

I guess those bands on archive.org have permission from their record companies, otherwise they'd be in breach of copyright laws themselves.

This is an interesting thread indeed.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:43

Apparently sometimes the record label has more rights than the artist.

Sometimes?

Pure Brilliance:
White Queen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:49
According to these laws, you can't watch a movie with a friend

"Any unauthorized....public performance....is strictly prohibited"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:49
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Apparently sometimes the record label has more rights than the artist.

Sometimes?

Sometimes the artists produce the music themselves and keep all rights - today more so than in the past decades, because today it's less expensive to record an album. Let's hope that this trend continues!

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:03

^ sure it is - a compact disc is not virtual. It's a piece of plastic, some paper and a plastic case. Of course you can sell it.

Are you deliberately not understanding????

Its not just a piece of plastic, if it was we would have nothing to write about!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:12

Are you deliberately not understanding????

Its not just a piece of plastic, if it was we would have nothing to write about!

About a month ago there was a lengthy article in my favorite computer magazine. From that I gather that it's absolutely legal (at least in Germany) to sell CDs and DVDs. Other countries might be different, but Germany is one of the most strict countries in terms of copyright ...

Why are you all so concerned about the word "distribution"? It hasn't got much to do with selling a used CD, has it?

Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:12

Sometimes the artists produce the music themselves and keep all rights - today more so than in the past decades, because today it's less expensive to record an album. Let's hope that this trend continues!

I know it will continue for me! Now, if there were only some way to avoid getting lost in the sea of information out there...
Pure Brilliance:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>