Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 16:32
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Some Wicked Rhytms:

African music in 6/8
Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" opening riff 7/8
Led Zeppelin's "The Crunge" 4,5/4 or maybe 12/16
Pink Floyd - Money 7/8
Yes - 3-4 mins into "Close To The Edge" 6/8
Eloy - 4 mins into "Decay Of The Logos" just 4/4, 8/8 or 16/16... but mans what a rhytm! Big smileClap
Led Zeppelin - Opening bars of "Four Sticks" 5/8

a few more wicked rythms, a bit more complex - these are the really brain killers:

Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra - 18/8 (Guitar plays 5+5+5+3, and drums and violin make mind blowing polly rythms all over the place)

Hell's Bell's - Bill Bruford - 19/16 (Interesting piece...)

The Crimson Sunrise (ACOS) - Dream Theater - 19/8 (Difficult to count but it's definitly 19/8, theres no other way to think of it)

2116 - Planet X - 21/16 (one of the more pretentious pieces I've ever listened to....)

Which part of The Crimson Sunrise are you talking about?

And I consider Birds fo Fire a 9/8 piece.

Edited by Moatilliatta - April 28 2006 at 16:33
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 16:35
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

Right, it's all about feeling the rhythm.

Listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd, a song that's in 7/8. Tap your foot along with the bassline, and you'll see that there are 7 beats for every time through the phrase. It will be obvious once you do it.

Actually, it's 7/4. Simply count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3, or 1-2-1-2-1-2-3.Smile

Nobody seems to have read what I wrote about Money. It's clearly in a triplet meter. 12/8 followed by 9/8, or 21/8. I can see how it could just be 7/4, but the rhythm is based on triplets.

Edited by Moatilliatta - April 28 2006 at 16:36
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
UnknownFlow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 04:22
Up to a certain degree of restriction, the composer can techincally decide what time signature his music is in, for example 7/4, 7/8, or 7/16
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 02:16

Eloy - Decay of the logos is in 6/8 time, not 4/4 sorry...

Can you help me? which time signature is "Dance on a vulcano" by GENESIS???
i just couldn't count
Proghat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 15:19
Alright, so I'm kinda confused on this matter too -- for example, the main riff in "Red" by KC that starts at 00:28 would be in 8/4 right? Or am I doing this wrong? I've never truly understood how to do this, but I've always had a very basic idea of what to do.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 02:08
8/4 is just the regular 4/4 rhytm. In 8-notes, it's 8/8
do you get it?
Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 02:21

Yeah one bar of 8/4 is two bars of 4/4. I can see why you would say it's in 8/4, and really it could be written as 8/4 without a problem, but i personally would call it 4/4. It makes no audible difference at all, it would really only change how you count the riff. Instead of counting to 4 and starting again in the next bar (1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4), you'd count to 8 (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8).

I'd be more inclined to use 8/4 if there was a riff that fit snuggly into that time frame and for some reason i prefered to lock it into one bar. Also if the surrounding time sigs were all */8 (something/8) i might find it more pleasing to use 8/4 rather than two bars of 4/4 but i don't think that's ever come up.

It's kind of weird because i have no problem using 12/8 (as opposed to two bars of 6/8), yet i'm not sure i've ever used 8/4.

I hope i'm not confusing you even more Proghat
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 03:15
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Nobody seems to have read what I wrote about Money. It's clearly in a triplet meter. 12/8 followed by 9/8, or 21/8. I can see how it could just be 7/4, but the rhythm is based on triplets.

It's not uncommon to not triplet (shuffle) rhythms in plain meters (e.g. 12/8 -> 4/4) and then to define straight 8ths as shuffle feel 8ths:

1 + + 2 + + 3 + + 4 + +

becomes

1   + 2   + 3   + 4   +

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 05:27
Minim time is rarely used these days, so we can pretty much ignore it. It has a slow pulse.

Crotchet time, or Simple time is more common, and is anything over 4.

Quaver time is most often used as Compound time - indeed, the way I was taught, that is the reason for using Quaver time.

It's compound, because although the top number represents the number of quavers to a bar, the beat is actually dotted crotchets - which gives a triplet swing to the music.

Compare a Strauss Waltz with the last movement of Beethoven's 6th symphony to get the idea.

There are 7 beats to a bar in Money, therefore it's 7/4. Waters himself has described the piece in that way.

Normally 7/8 would be 2 and 1/3 beats to a bar, with a triplet swing - as I described in compound time.

Time signatures like this, and 5/4, etc, are known as irregular time signatures.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 05:32
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Normally 7/8 would be 2 and 1/3 beats to a bar, with a triplet swing

What has 7/8 got to do with triplet swing/shuffle feel? 6/8, 9/8, 12/8 ... sure (although 9/8 can also mean 2+2+2+3/8 or something like that). I mean ... it is possible that there are songs that work like 3+3+1/8, but I think that 2+2+2+1/8 is far more common.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 11 2006 at 05:46
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 07:37

What has 7/8 got to do with triplet swing/shuffle feel? 6/8, 9/8, 12/8 ... sure (although 9/8 can also mean 2+2+2+3/8 or something like that). I mean ... it is possible that there are songs that work like 3+3+1/8, but I think that 2+2+2+1/8 is far more common.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote - a common trait of yours, I've noticed.

Compound time carries an implicit triplet swing - I said nothing about a shuffle feel.

The general rule that I have been taught (and you can argue with my teachers if you like, but it seems reasonable to me), is that anything over 8 is compound time, and anything over 4 is simple time.

It's not as black and white as that, of course - but one of the points here is simplification for those who are not at an advanced level as you obviously are. Do you have a Ph.D. in music theory?

9/8 is more like 3/4 with triplets or soft syncopation - so "Apocalypse in 9/8" is not truly in 9/8 but 9/4, as has oft been discussed here.

2+2+2+3/8 is not the way that 9/8 is normally used, and would give a feel more of 9/4 than 9/8, since it becomes irregular time rather than compound time - as I described above.

If someone has written a piece that is scored like that, then it is written in ignorance of conventions - although it could be the odd bar written that way through necessity - I'm thinking of Stravinsky particularly, who occasionally threw in some oddball bars like this - and often even wierder ones like 3/16 - into a piece.

In the same way, if there are 7 distinct beats to a bar - as you break down your perception of 7/8 - then by convention it should be 7/4 - that's what the time signature is there for. Otherwise it would be irregular compound time, and be counted in terms of fractions of beats, ie 2 and 1/3 beats per bar, and the 7 quaver notes per bar would be nothing to do with the metre, but a convenient way of putting loosely syncopated or triplet feel melodies across.

That is the difference between /4 and /8.

Simple and Compound.

Simple!

Edited by Certif1ed - May 11 2006 at 07:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 07:52

You obviously didn't read what I wrote - a common trait of yours, I've noticed.

Compound time carries an implicit triplet swing - I said nothing about a shuffle feel.

Let's try not to make ironic stabs at each other, shall we?Wink

BTW: I am reading what you write - and by saying "swing" you again say that compound time (*/8 in this context) is implying a ternary grouping.

The general rule that I have been taught (and you can argue with my teachers if you like, but it seems reasonable to me), is that anything over 8 is compound time, and anything over 4 is simple time.

It's not as black and white as that, of course - but one of the points here is simplification for those who are not at an advanced level as you obviously are. Do you have a Ph.D. in music theory?

No, I don't havew a PH.D. in music theory. I just learned how to play music for almost 10 years and some of my teachers had the proper certificates. All I know is that only a very small percentage of 7/8 signatures that I have encountered implied a grouping of 3 (3+3+1/8). Most of them are 2+2+2+1/8 (4/4 - 1/8), or - if you prefer - 4+3/8.

9/8 is more like 3/4 with triplets or soft syncopation - so "Apocalypse in 9/8" is not truly in 9/8 but 9/4, as has oft been discussed here.

2+2+2+3/8 is not the way that 9/8 is normally used, and would give a feel more of 9/4 than 9/8, since it becomes irregular time rather than compound time - as I described above.

9/8 is often used like you described. Especially in prog metal it is also often used as 4/4+1/8. That's a normal 4/4 signature with one additional quaver. The bass drum/snare clearly indicates in those cases that it's not at all 3+3+3/8.

If someone has written a piece that is scored like that, then it is written in ignorance of conventions - although it could be the odd bar written that way through necessity - I'm thinking of Stravinsky particularly, who occasionally threw in some oddball bars like this - and often even wierder ones like 3/16 - into a piece.

In the same way, if there are 7 distinct beats to a bar - as you break down your perception of 7/8 - then by convention it should be 7/4 - that's what the time signature is there for. Otherwise it would be irregular compound time, and be counted in terms of fractions of beats, ie 2 and 1/3 beats per bar, and the 7 quaver notes per bar would be nothing to do with the metre, but a convenient way of putting loosely syncopated or triplet feel melodies across.

That is the difference between /4 and /8.

Simple and Compound.

Simple!

All I say is that /8 doesn't imply triplets! Don't make it all so complicated.LOL

BTW: read one of the other threads about signatures where I explained in detail how I see the major difference between /8 and /4.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 11 2006 at 07:53
Proghat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by Reverie Reverie wrote:

Yeah one bar of 8/4 is two bars of 4/4. I can see why you would say it's in 8/4, and really it could be written as 8/4 without a problem, but i personally would call it 4/4. It makes no audible difference at all, it would really only change how you count the riff. Instead of counting to 4 and starting again in the next bar (1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4), you'd count to 8 (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8).

I'd be more inclined to use 8/4 if there was a riff that fit snuggly into that time frame and for some reason i prefered to lock it into one bar. Also if the surrounding time sigs were all */8 (something/8) i might find it more pleasing to use 8/4 rather than two bars of 4/4 but i don't think that's ever come up.

It's kind of weird because i have no problem using 12/8 (as opposed to two bars of 6/8), yet i'm not sure i've ever used 8/4.

I hope i'm not confusing you even more Proghat

No, I think I know what you guys are saying. Thanks a lot! It's probably just gonna take some practice before I'm able to pick-out time sigs really easily.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 17:16

Let's try not to make ironic stabs at each other, shall we?

Hardly an ironic stab - just the truth. You often misread what I write - presumably through skim-reading. I've done it myself a bit recently - but have owned up to it.

It seems to be generalisations that you have an issue with, because in order to simplify everything above, I had to make some generalisations - as I thought I made fairly clear.

There is nothing incorrect in what I posted - so I don't see why you feel you need to correct it.

BTW: I am reading what you write - and by saying "swing" you again say that compound time (*/8 in this context) is implying a ternary grouping

That's because I did say that and it does. I also said it wasn't as simple as that (I wouldn't have to repeat myself if you'd read it, would I?), but for a simple illustration of the basics, it can be safely be taken as the general rule.

No, I don't havew a PH.D. in music theory. I just learned how to play music for almost 10 years and some of my teachers had the proper certificates. All I know is that only a very small percentage of 7/8 signatures that I have encountered implied a grouping of 3 (3+3+1/8). Most of them are 2+2+2+1/8 (4/4 - 1/8), or - if you prefer - 4+3/8.

It looks like 3 groups of 2 and a 1 the way you've laid it out - in which case that would be a simple 7 with alternate accents.

Alternatively, if 4+3/8, why not 4+3/4? What's the difference?

Simple = anything/4, hence it's 7/4 - like Money.

It's not a compound irregular rhythm like 2 and 1/3 beats to the bar - it's a simple irregular rhythm.

9/8 is often used like you described. Especially in prog metal it is also often used as 4/4+1/8. That's a normal 4/4 signature with one additional quaver. The bass drum/snare clearly indicates in those cases that it's not at all 3+3+3/8.

That seems more a more reasonable useage,on the surface, but again, it's not the convention - or maybe it has become a convention among Prog Metal bands.

There seems little point - are we considering beats, pulse or metre? This seems to be overlooked.

Really what's happening there is 9/4 with accents.

There's no compound feel, so putting it over 8 is pointless. The whole point of putting anything over 8 is to use compound time... although it's not quite that straightforward.

All I say is that /8 doesn't imply triplets! Don't make it all so complicated

Complicated?

I made an over-simplification - surely you can see that?
(That's the 3rd time I've said that - I hope you get it this time!).

read one of the other threads about signatures where I explained in detail how I see the major difference between /8 and /4.

I will, as soon as I can get around to it.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 18:07
Let's approach this from a different angle. Can you give me an example (a real song) for 3+3+1/8? I have yet to hear one (I think). 
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:03
CAN ANYONE ANSWER WHICH TIME SIGNATURE "DANCE ON A VULCANO" BY GENESIS IS????
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 16:14
Er, I double posted somehow...

Edited by Certif1ed - May 14 2006 at 16:33
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 16:32

Let's approach this from a different angle. Can you give me an example (a real song) for 3+3+1/8? I have yet to hear one (I think). 

There are plenty of parts in Stravinsy's "Rite of Spring" - for example, 2 bars after [43] in "Ritual of Abduction", where he uses 7/8 (3+4/8) - which is close enough to answering your question.

He also uses 2+2+2+1/8 (with 3 crotchet beats - underlining the use of 7/8 as compound, not simple time - which is the point here). Since the alternate quavers are weak - Stravinsky goes as far as to accent the first, 3rd and 5th, the feel of 3 (triple) crotchet beats is emphasised, while the last quaver is not accented and is weak, giving the feel of 2+2+3/8 - in other words, compound time.

Stravinsky illustrates 7/4 in the bar before [107] in "Glorification of the Chosen One", where 7 crotchet beats are used in simple irregular time - although Stravinsy complicates matters by syncopating them, so that the main beat is on the off-beat.

Conveniently, in the same piece, two bars before [106], Stravinsky uses 4+3/8, where the main beats are 1, 3 and 5 - effectively making 2+2+3/8.

These illustrations from the master of rhythm should suffice to show that 7/8 is used for compound irregular time and 7/4 for simple irregular time.

As I keep saying, this is convention, and the reason for this convention is simply that it's a bit pointless to use 7/8 if you're simply going to count 7 (or even 2+2+3) - you reduce the number of notes you can subdivide by, for a start!

You'd only rationally want to use it if you need to take advantage of the compound produced by dotted crotchet time, rather than the compound produced by crotchet time.

Genesis illustrate this nicely in "Dance on a Volcano", whose introduction roams through several time signatures; 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 3/4, 7/8 (showing the 3+2+2 compound movement for 3 bars), then, after a quick bar in 3/4, continuing in 7/8 for most of the piece, with a 2+2+2+1 movement used frequently (e.g. from 25-27 specifically).

Most of this piece is in 7/8 - but, as with the introduction, the other musical interludes pass through other Time signatures - so a good ear is recommended (or a Tab!).

I hope this helps.

Edited by Certif1ed - May 14 2006 at 16:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 17:53
^ I'm suggesting a 4+3/8 or 3+4/8 interpretation all the time ... it was you who suggested triplet/swing.

Let's not continue this ... I'll continue to listen to 4/4-1/8 or 4/4+1/8, and you won't (probably).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 14 2006 at 18:00
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 02:54

^ I'm suggesting a 4+3/8 or 3+4/8 interpretation all the time ... it was you who suggested triplet/swing.

Let's not continue this ... I'll continue to listen to 4/4-1/8 or 4/4+1/8, and you won't (probably).

Indeed.

I don't understand why you don't see the triplet nature of it - it's two triplets with a note spare (6/8+1/8), or one of the triplets extended by a note, or even three triplets minus a note with a note spare - unless used contextually in a /4 time piece. But the "triplets" are almost inevitably there.

The whole feel of dotted crotchet time is different to crotchet beats, which is why I say counting the melody notes is not very useful for determining the time signature.

But you do it your way - I've already passed my Aural tests using my methods.

Edited by Certif1ed - May 15 2006 at 03:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>