Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBluejays and The Moody Blues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluejays and The Moody Blues
    Posted: April 19 2006 at 05:32
I have just noticed that Justin Hayward and John Lodge of The Moody Blues are defined in PA as 'Symphonic Prog' for their 1975 album Bluejays, yet the Moodies are themselves defined as 'Proto-Prog'.

I was wondering if this were not an anomaly? Surely, in musical terms, the only difference is that on Bluejays they used orchestra and orchestral type instruments that they were no longer using in the main group. Otherwise, I have always thought Bluejays sounds very much like the Moodies 9th. Same songwriters, same production team.

Anyone agree, or am I too close to this music to see the wood for the trees ......
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 07:17
Maybe MB are listed as proto-prog because their first album (well, actually their second - I'm talking about "Days of Future Passed") was released before prog rock achieved its status as a rock genre. By the way, IMHO "Blue Jays" is an excellent pop album with some prog elements, not a "pure" prog rock album.
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:54
I believe the MB's are wrongly classified, with too much emphasis being placed on the role of one album (DOFP). Overall, I reckon they shoudl be classified as Art rock or Symphonic prog. 
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:33
In my terminology, Moody Blues is proto-prog because they provided some of the building blocks to what would become prog rock. But they never really played full blown prog. In comparison, Pink Floyd released their debut the year of DOFP but evolved to a full blown prog act. Hence, they made a transition from proto-prog to actual prog rock contrary to Moody Blues. Therefore PF is prog rock, MB is not but merely stayed proto-prog.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:37
And by definition, proto-prog relates to pre-70's music so obviously Blue Jays falls out of this category. I don't know how proggy they were, perhaps close to prog-related or art rock (being lesser prog-related!).
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:22
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

In my terminology, Moody Blues is proto-prog because they provided some of the building blocks to what would become prog rock. But they never really played full blown prog. In comparison, Pink Floyd released their debut the year of DOFP but evolved to a full blown prog act. Hence, they made a transition from proto-prog to actual prog rock contrary to Moody Blues. Therefore PF is prog rock, MB is not but merely stayed proto-prog.

Quite true. So, the question was - how can Bluejays be Prog if the Moodies aren't? To me, they are essentially the same.

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:55
Maybe this happen because Moody Blues is proto-prog because their are between art rock and symphonic prog, but as they are one of the first prog bands, it was better to put then in proto-prog (which had a bad effect as many people disregards proto-prog genre).
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Quite true. So, the question was - how can Bluejays be Prog if the Moodies aren't? To me, they are essentially the same.

For me the Moody Blues are a full blown prog act, and for 99,99% of the progressive rock sites.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 14:33

Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

MB's post-60's output is most probably prog-related, but not symphonic prog. But to categorize them overall as prog-related would be unfair as they made major contributions to the devlopment of prog: Prog rock provides input to Prog-related bands not the other way around. And that's exactly what MB did i.e. they gave input to early prog rock. On the album level, MB was proto-prog in the 60's and prog-related after that. On the band level (as this site favours), MB was proto-prog.

There's no rule saying that because you come from a non-prog band then you cannot form a prog band like in the case of Bluejays. But I don't know Bluejays so I cannot say whether they are more or less prog than MB.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:13

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I believe the MB's are wrongly classified, with too much emphasis being placed on the role of one album (DOFP). Overall, I reckon they shoudl be classified as Art rock or Symphonic prog. 

I couldn't agree more!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:42
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I couldn't agree more!

ditto! this is the first time I totally agree with Bob (easy)!
btw, all of you folks might remember the time when MB were classified as "Art-Rock", from which they moved onto the newly established "proto-prog" genre... (not to mention that they had already moved into art-rock from folk-prog!!!!!)

to quote most of the folks up there, I do like each and every MB album (provided that it was released before their initial hiatus in 1972...) much more than the BJ album... In fact, no matter how I tried to like the album, I still can't enjoy it after several listens... maybe it's because its poppy characteristic...

btw, Bob, as the reviews editor, don't you consider moving MB some place else ? (but not to symphonic prog, please! it is already loaded with a bunch of easy listening art-rock bands, and Kansas is still in art-rock!!!)

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:50
No, Bilek. You cannot change the FACT that MB is proto-prog. Only when this site starts to label each album in a prog category will it transpire that MB in the 70's was nothing more than prog-related or art-rock.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 16:13
Thnaks Bilek. As reviews moderator, it's not my place to classify bands, we have expert teams for that purpose.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply