Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRate Deep Purple albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:38

1/10 Scale

Mark I: Blackmore-Evans-Lord-Paice-Simper (1968-1969)

• Shades of Deep Purple: ?
  • The Book of Taliesyn: ?
  • Deep Purple: ?
Mark II: Blackmore-Gillan-Glover-Lord-Paice (1969-1973)
  • Concerto for Group and Orchestra: ?
  • In Rock: 8
  • Gemini Suite (not Jon Lord's version, of course!): ?
  • Fireball: 7
  • Machine Head: 9
  • Made in Japan: 10 
  • Who Do We Think We Are: 8
  • In Concert 1970-1972: ?
Mark III: Blackmore-Coverdale-Hughes-Lord-Paice (1974)
  • Burn: 9
  • Live in London: ? 
  • Stormbringer: 8
  • Made in Europe: 7
Mark IV: Bolin-Coverdale-Hughes-Lord-Paice (1975)
  • Come Taste the Band: 7
  • Last Concert in Japan: ?
Mark IIa: Blackmore-Gillan-Glover-Lord-Paice (1984-1986)
  • Perfect Strangers: ?
  • The House of Blue Light: ?
  • Nobody's Perfect: ?
Mark V: Blackmore-Glover-Lord-Paice-Turner (1990)
  • Slaves and Masters: ?
Mark IIb: Blackmore-Gillan-Glover-Lord-Paice (1993)
  • The Battle Rages On: ?
  • Come Hell or High Water: 8
Mark VI: Gillan-Glover-Lord-Morse-Paice (1996-1998)
  • Purpendicular: ?
  • Abandon: ?
  • Total Abandon Live in Australia: ?
  • Live in Hammersmith 2000: ?
Mark VII: Airey-Gillan-Glover-Morse-Paice (2003-now)
  • Bananas: 7
  • Rapture of the Deep: 8

I have these live albums, too:

• On the road: 9
  • Live in Europe (released 2006):8,5
  • Live in Paris 1975: 10  (One of the best live records ever, IMO)
  • This Time around, Live in Tokyo'75: 9
  • Live at the Olympia '96: 8
  • Knebworth 1985 [In the absence of pink]: 5
[IMG]http://www.belderrain.es/GIFs/tora.gif">
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:45

Thre's a lot of Blackmore's detractors here... I'm not one of them, so here goes my list:

Shades of deep purple - 2,5/5 (The originals plus Hush are the better songs).

The book of talyesin - 2/5  (Only Wring that neck and Anthem are really good).

Deep Purple - 3,25/5 (Best Mk 1 album. April, The bird has flown, chasing shadows are the best ones, but the tru classic is April, the best Mk I composition).

Concerto for group and orchestra - 2/5 (very confuse album. The remaster is worth buying for the ongs pre-Concerto itself)

In Rock - 5/5 (Best Deep Purple album. No fillers. Love Living wreck, Bloodsucker and Into the fire)

Fireball - 4/5 (Looking for new directions, what makes this album more diverse (unfocused?) than its precedent). Fools, The Mule, Firebal).

Machine Head - 4,75/5 (The best guitar solo ever: Highway star. Can't give a 5 because of Maybe I'm a Leo, a good song in a bad place).

Made in japan - 5/5 (THE live album. You can' beat this album).

Who do we think we are - 2,5/5 (freat disapointment. Woman from Tokio, rat bar blue and a lot of fillers).

Burn - 4,5/5 (Mk III in great form. Perfect side one - Burn is an imortal piece of rock'n'roll - and a well-balanced side two).

Live in London 4,75/5 (what a wonderful show! My first Purple album).

Stormbringer - 3/5 (Better than WDWTWA, what doesnt mean that this is a classic. Too much soul for Purple).

Live in Paris - 4/5 (The last MK III concert. Sad but beautiful)

Don't like Bolin era

Perfect Strangers - 2,75 (a good eighties album. Knockin... and Perfect strangers are the tru clasics).

The house of blue light - 2,25 (weaker than its precedent. FM hard-rock).

Nobody's perfect - 2/5 (a decent live album, with burocratic renditons of the classics).

Slaves and masters - 1/5 (An awful album. Turner and Blackmore made a coup 'etat agains Purple with this cr*p).

The Battle rages on - 2,25/5 (tryng to ressurect an almost rotten body. Title track, Anya (a real good composition) and Solitaire)

Come hell or high water - 2/5 (Gillan is very bad. Sad good bye for Blackmore).

All in all, the good albums are SO good that we can survive with the bad ones. Blackmore is my fav guitar player, a f**kin' riffmaker. Wish Mk III could reunite again).

Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:54

I'll keep it easy and point out the albums that seem most enjoyable:

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Europe, Come Taste the Band, Perfect Strangers, In the House of Blue Light, Perpendicular

Now, a band that really deserves attention is GILLAN!!!!!!!!!!   With Ian Gillan on vocals, the music is somewhat similar to classic Deep Purple, though updated.   Check out their albums Glory Road and Magic (although they also released other albums).  Very underrated and practically unknown...

Edited by Flip_Stone
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:06
Originally posted by Flip_Stone Flip_Stone wrote:

I'll keep it easy and point out the albums that seem most enjoyable:

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Europe, Come Taste the Band, Perfect Strangers, In the House of Blue Light, Perpendicular

Now, a band that really deserves attention is GILLAN!!!!!!!!!!   With Ian Gillan on vocals, the music is somewhat similar to classic Deep Purple, though updated.   Check out their albums Glory Road and Magic (although they also released other albums).  Very underrated and practically unknown...

You got it right: Gillan was the best band assembled by a former Purpleman. All their albums are at least interesting. I'm not that fond of Ian Gillan Band, but Gillan was fantastic, specially for its excellent musicians: Bernie Tormé, Colin Towns, Janick Gers, Liam Genocky, Mick Underwood. This band surely deserves more attention!

"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:31
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

you didn't like stormbringer?

mmmmmmmm not really, i have it but it's not their best............is it?Confused

no it isn't. i agree

Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:35

Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

BLAH DE BLAH DE BLAH DE BLAH... ...and most of all the perfect vocal blend of David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes, two of the greatest voices in rock history!

maybe in the studio, where glenns voice is smooth and very soul-like and davey's is "crispy".
But not live on stage! absolutely not in 1975! they both scream after each song and sing in diffrent scales. they match in studio, but not live

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:39

mmmmmmmm not really, i have it but it's not their best............is it?Confused

To me it is!
It has got such a variety of styles in it (funky: You Can't Do It Right, soul/blues: Love don't mean a thing/Hold On, beatlesque tastes: Holy Man, ballad: Soldier of Fortune, complex tunes: The Gypsy and naturally hard rock, the remainder), and most of all the perfect vocal blend of David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes, two of the greatest voices in rock history!

Burn has got the same blend, but it is slightly more immature...while with the acquisition of the more talented Tommy Bolin as a replacement for Ritchie Blackmore, I expected Come taste the band to have way less filler!

...fair enough... i'll give it a spin tonight and re-evaluate it..ok?Embarrassed

Prog Archives Tour Van
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 14:53

1.  Burn (killer album)

2.  Made in Japan (wonderful live recording)

3.  Machine Head (started a trend)

4.  Deep Purple (the Bosch cover and proto-prog music are a great combo)

5.  Book of Talisyn (teetered on the brink of progressive rock)

6.  Fireball (rocks big time)

Sorry, I stopped keeping up with them after Stormbringer when they sold out.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 15:08

I agree on Gillan- I love 'Glory Road', where he had the terrific band of Bernie Torme, Colin Towns, Mick Underwood and John McCoy alongside him.

'Stormbringer' isn't a particularly good or bad album. However, only a few songs stand out- 'Stormbringer' itself, 'Hold On' (which definitely needs more beef in its production), 'Gypsy' and best of all, 'Soldier Of Fortune'.  It's a very flat sounding album imo- I'd argue it's the very lackluster production that lets it down. Indeed, Ian Paice said that it, ahem, 'lacked bollocks', and I'd agree 100% with that. When EMI remaster it, I may well reappraise it though, as I did with all their previous and stupendous DP remasters.

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:49

To me it is!
It has got such a variety of styles in it (funky: You Can't Do It Right, soul/blues: Love don't mean a thing/Hold On, beatlesque tastes: Holy Man, ballad: Soldier of Fortune, complex tunes: The Gypsy and naturally hard rock, the remainder), and most of all the perfect vocal blend of David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes, two of the greatest voices in rock history!

Burn has got the same blend, but it is slightly more immature...while with the acquisition of the more talented Tommy Bolin as a replacement for Ritchie Blackmore, I expected Come taste the band to have way less filler!

...fair enough... i'll give it a spin tonight and re-evaluate it..ok?Embarrassed

well i just gave it another spin and decided to stick to my original prognosisLOL

Prog Archives Tour Van
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 05:11

well i just gave it another spin and decided to stick to my original prognosis

Different heads, different ideas!
That's the beauty of it all!
A flower?

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 06:41
I don't see how the 3rd album is better than Taliesyn. Taliesyn has some great songs like Listen learn read on, Shield, Anthem, a great version of We can work it out and Kentucky woman. I don't care for Wring that neck or River deep much though. The 3rd album has Chasing shadows, Blind and April which are very good. But I don't like Painter, Bird has flow or Why didn't Rosemary much. They sound very straight forward and unoriginal and I see why the band changed members. Lalena is cool in bits but those vocals are annoying. The 3rd album is a step down from taliesyn. I also think Burn is a slightly cheesy pop album and Stormbringer is easily better
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 17:49
'Tailesyn' is a real patchwork- I think even Jon Lord has said how it was a mess and I think also that 'we were trying to be a prog band but we didn't really know how'. By then though, I much prefer their originals to the covers that weighs the album down.

Just gave 'Stormbringer' another spin as I just reviewed it, and I was surprised by how good it was. It's far too unrepresentative to have a really high rating, but half the album is classic stuff, in truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12