Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI don’t like Genesis. What to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don’t like Genesis. What to do?
    Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:29

I don't like Genesis. At all. I can't listen to it mote then 15 minutes. For me it seems to be boring and dull and unmelodic. But lots of people like it. They cannot be wrong, there's too much of 'em. This makes me wonder maybe I just don't understand something? Help me! Open my eyes!

yes, I know, my English is far from perfect. I comfortable with it.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:32

No need to open any eyes and no need to ask for it, either

I tend to agree with you. I love some of their songs, but too many leave me cold (talking about prog Genesis only).

Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:33

What to do?

Go play in the trafficLOLLOL

Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:36
Not sure I can help much except to say there is no right and wrong. Many people like it and understand it, but for whatever reason many others don't. There can be all sorts of reasons. No problem. Don't worry about it. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Don't see how you can think them to be 'unmelodic' though
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:36
Originally posted by Zavgorodny Zavgorodny wrote:

I don't like Genesis. At all. I can't listen to it mote then 15 minutes. For me it seems to be boring and dull and unmelodic. But lots of people like it. They cannot be wrong, there's too much of 'em. This makes me wonder maybe I just don't understand something? Help me! Open my eyes!

Only for curiosity: Which bands do you like?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:40

Stern Smile Very simple -- don't listen to them, or buy their music, and stop harping about it!

Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
leirbagaze View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:43

>>>I can't listen to it mote then 15 minutes. For me it seems to be boring and dull and unmelodic.

HAHAHA, I remember, once I gathered with my firends and listen for FOUR HOURS!  different versions of Musical Box live,  

I have spent one week listening only Genesis Bootlegs at a rate of aproximatly 4 hours daily.   I really enjoyed it. 

I understand the boring part, because you simply don't like it, so it is boring for you.

The unmelodic.......

I suggest to try :

1.  Can utility and the Coastliners from Foxtrot

2.  Dancing Out With the Moonlit..  From Selling england by the Pound

3.  Musical Box from Nursery Cryme.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:47

Don't worry about it. You're probably missing the specific Genesis - gen. You might have the Camel - gen or the Gentle Giant - gen or the Yes - gen or... Just listen to the music you like. If you don't like Genesis after repeated listenings, there's not much you can do about it. Maybe 5 years later you can try it again.

Dr. Moogtron, PA - shrink

Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:48

Zavgorodny:   Which Genesis songs or albums have you heard?   They have a variety of songs over their 30 year or so history, so maybe you just haven't heard the right phase yet.

bamba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:56
well listen first to Can (pekin 0) and then put  selling England by the pound.

Edited by bamba
Learning Flute [Amigo de Manticore y Memowakeman] (primo)[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2437702285_fbb450500d_o.jpg
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:00
Genesis is my favourite band, but I fully understand that others may not like them - it is not obligatory to like the famous prog bands. I think Jethro Tull is average and ELP a waste of my time. We all have different tastes.
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
Nightranger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:02

I didnt like Genesis either very much when I first discoverd progressive music but I gave it a try and now The Lamb is one of my favourite records. I guess you just have to listen and listen and tell yourself that it's good, then you will appreciate it! But it took me 5 years to really like them!

But I still have some problems with bands like Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Camel etc. Its not the songs that I have a problem with but the production and the sound, especially when you play those old records through an expensive amplifier with really good speakers.  

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:06
I had some trouble warming up to them too at first, but now they're one of my favorites. It may just take time, or maybe you just aren't meant to like them right now. No worries man, listen to what you like.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:10

Maybe you just weren't cut out for progressive rock.  Not that there's anything wrong with that....

I just hope you find some music that makes you feel the way I do when I listen to Genesis.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:11

I don't like Echolyn. I also don't like what happened with IQ after Subterranea. A lot of people is Gay; I don't have anything against... ¿Gayness?, but I'm not trying to become Gay because of the chance of missing something. ¿Don't like Genesis, but a lot of people do?... that's nothing. Everybody loves Italian prog, meanwhile, I listen to those Italian bands and all I can hear is a lot of clones, same kind of voice, same mixture of baroque music with rock and jazz. I think I'm trying to say that being a minority is not bad at all. Everybody loves Genesis... ¿so what?.

When I first listened to their Early works, I faced two major problems:

1.- My concept of Peter Gabriel was a much modern one, so he didn't fit into that epic music atmosphere.

2.- My concept of Genesis was also much modern, and a much more boring one, so I had troubles understanding the "twist".

¡Beware of the Bee!

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:11
Don't panic. I hate Genesis and I live for Prog. Ignore anyone who says you can't be a Prog fan if you don't like this band or that. It's bollocks. If you listen to lots of Prog, you're a Progger. If a band doesn't grab you, shrug your shoulders and move on. There's 1000s of other amazing bands waiting for you to discover them. 
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:12

Dobryden,zemlyache!!!
Wow,the third Ukrainian member,which I know...and with such an opposite tastes than mine Oh boy,they're my favouritest band...

Maybe,you like MARILLION?
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:15

I can't listen to it mote then 15 minutes.

why don't you try "Supper!s Ready"? it's well over 15 minutes  (near 22')

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 13:57

I don't like Genesis either, but I respect their talent.  Don't worry about it though; fortunately there is an incredible abundance of non-Genesis music available to you. 

As someone else stated, instead of worrying, share with us the bands you do enjoy.
Hierophant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 14:04
If you really hate them - then don't listen to them. If you think you aren't "getting it" you will have to give them some serious time. Start off listening to ONE song by them that you like or even one part of a song you like. The key is to not skip ahead. Keep listening to that song or songs and eventually (hopefully) you'll branch out to their other songs. You have to realize genesis aren't a head banging band. They're are not a band you blast in your car while you're doing 80 on the freeway. They're more of a sit down in a nice quiet room alone and listen to them, really listen to them type of a band.

Edited by Hierophant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>