FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLITERACY IN THE FORUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LITERACY IN THE FORUM
    Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:38
It's such a shame that there's so much lack of literacy amongst progressive rock fans.

I mean, apart from the occasional contributor, the rest cannot spell.

Let's get it right, for f**k's sake!!

It looks like all the fans have never gone to school.

Shame on ya!!

Thank goodness the Gabriels, Andersons and Waters were literate...

Edited by Minkia
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:42
Is this in "Just For Fun" or "Just for making fun"?
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:43
Did you edit your post because you wrote a word wrong?
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:45
No, I edited it because I added the Gabriels,Anderson and Waters part...
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 17:53
Wot r yo tokink abut?

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 18:06

Originally posted by Minkia Minkia wrote:

No, I edited it because I added the Gabriels,Anderson and Waters part...

That part wasn't there when I posted in this thread, but your post was still edited!

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 18:06

Originally posted by Minkia Minkia wrote:

It's such a shame that there's so much lack of literacy amongst progressive rock fans.

I mean, apart from the occasional contributor, the rest cannot spell.

Let's get it right, for f**k's sake!!

It looks like all the fans have never gone to school.

Shame on ya!!

Thank goodness the Gabriels, Andersons and Waters were literate...

It's all over the Western world , I assure you -- not just among "prog" fans.

(And don't forget that prog is now metal.)

I lay some of the blame squarely on computers (especially chat rooms), and a VERY large part on parents who let TV and video games raise their children.

The remote control generation have too many toys too soon, and seem to always expect instant gratification. They also resist anything which is seen as 'boring," and learning to spell well takes time and effort, and is not particularly exciting.

Alas, muscles, aggression, tattoos, disrespect and push-up bras seem to be "cool" -- brains and communication skills are not.Ouch

Well, that should offend lots of the young'uns! Ermm

BTW, I teach in the adult literacy/academic upgrading field -- I know a fair bit about this issue. Colleges and universities are increasingly frustrated by growing numbers of high school graduates who simply cannot spell, or write a coherent sentence.

Read to your kids, folks! Stern Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 21 2006 at 14:51
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 18:07
Who was it what said, proggers is illiterate? Probly some geezer wot writes for roling stone or nme. If it werent for us briany English porggers noone on ere would use the Quens English like what they ought to. Educashun helpd me to right proper like what Im doing now, and as a English teecher I does me best to keep standards up. If your not shore what words is proper, use your spel chequer - its a absolute must, even more invaluabler than what I thought it would of bean.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 18:18
You're absolutely right, Peter Rideout! Although, no doubt you'll get some flak from those who'll consider your opinion as conservative.

As for Syzygy, well ah know wot u mean, pal, innit?

Nice one, anywayz.

PS: I wonder if Vicki Pollard from Littel Britain is Prog rock fan...
Progladyte View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 09:28
My ol' man went and lerned me real good inglish proppa like and tol me to only spuk back when spuk to. Wacko.

Actually, I agree with Minkia. The inability of todays younger generation to spell, use correct grammar or construct a simple sentence is a tragic waste of our educational resources. As someone else mentioned earlier, to use a TV, computer game, spelling checker or even a calculator is depriving the kids of their chance to learn by themselves. Who is going to provide the answers for them when the batteries have gone flat, they're in an exam room or there is no more electricty available?

Recent studies conducted here in Australia showed that a lot of our younger teachers themselves were so inept at spelling and simple grammar. The results that so many of our kids were also hopeless at these basic but essential tasks, was therefore not so surprising.  When I was at school, all of these tasks were considered mandatory and you were encouraged to practise at least 50 spelling words each week.

It really annoys me at work to think that all the other guys in the office constantly ask me how to spell the simplest of words. Bring back the cane I say!! Evil Smile 

[Rant Off]
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:43
Have you guys heard of the new rap duo that all the kids are looking up to as role models?  They're called "Grunt and Point."
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:47

In our society we feel the need to conform. This need pushes people, particularly the younger generation, to use slang and inarticulate speech to express themsleves. This is leading to the downfall of of our society. Essentially, what we are doing by using improper grammar and unintelligent language is turning off our brains. We use only the easiest possible phrase availabe, such as "whatever" to describe things we are too lazy to think about. We are abusing our freedom of speech.

Sometimes, instead of expressing our true opinions and finding exactly the right words to use, we ignore the situation which we are speaking of and make seemingly elightened arguments without backing them up. For example I got in a huge political/social/world issues/war/anarchy argument with a fellow student who is a "communist". He couldn't seem to back up his opinions. I told him that unless he did so, I refused to respect his opinion, because without a properly supported argument, it was nothing more than something he heard somewhere else and thought it made sense without looking further into it. Another guy actually thought the argument was hilarious.

Now there is definitely something wrong with this generation when people think it's funny to have an opinion and express it in an articulate manner, and look no further than what is socially acceptable into deeply concerning issues.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 13:40
I agre.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 13:48
I actually don't care too much (sorry Peter Embarrassed). I think what really matter is what you say (or in this case, type) not if everything is spelled correctly. The message is what's important.

PS: I'm usually very good at English, grammar, etc. There are certain exceptions to all of the rules laid (or is is layed Wink) out by the language that always trick me. I don't care much, but some people do. Mistakes from me aon the forum are usually because I am terrible at typing, therefore I have to look at the keyboard when I type. So, I may overlook some errors. But I don't care. Star
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 14:00
great funny thread,
this one will have long life
defenetly ( did i spell it properly?)
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 15:00
Stonebeard's view :

" I think what really matter is what you say (or in this case, type) not if everything is spelled correctly. The message is what's important. "

Trouble is, if you don't get the words right, you ain't got no message.......
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 15:14
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

Stonebeard's view :

" I think what really matter is what you say (or in this case, type) not if everything is spelled correctly. The message is what's important. "

I couldn't agree more. Worse, in my case the message gets lost on the second spelling error (yes, I am too forgiving), because I simply stop reading. For the record, I'm not even a native speaker....

Angelo
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 15:42
Ther are places where proper grammar, spelling, and nazi like adherence to punctuation are to be respected. Then there are chat rooms and informal forums (like this one) where such things should be played down a bit.  Ignoring valid opinions over two mispelled words is a bit extreme here. In an english teachers forum or something more formal and acedemic it would be appropriate. I don't think it necassary to follow the literary rules for our language while merely exchanging ideas on a friendly basis. Common vernacular is fine here. Like Stonebeard I am a sight typer and often miss typos. Really people... are you not inteliigent enough to decipher a few mispelled words? it's not that big a deal. We don't speak with perfect grammar and punctuation in everyday life. In certain ritualized and very formal setting we do... but not with common communication. We shouldn't be forced to do so here either. If we are smart enough to know the proper grammar and rules we are smart enough to "read through" improper grammar and bad spelling. The exchange of  MUSICAL ideas and information is paramount here, not strict adherence to acedemic excellence.

P.S.  I may be playing a bit of devils advocate here since going overbaord with leet speak and typos does indeed make it hard to know what someone is trying to say.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 15:50
Your P.S. says it all - I can't stand that type of thing in reviews - which I thought the discussion was about. I do agree that a forum is a bit different than a review in a database that calls itself 'the ultimate prog rock resource' - there's something like an informal quality standard that I expect there.

And yes, the two spelling errors is a bit black and white, I was just trying to make a point here.

B.T.W.: what annoys me more is the use of words like 'nazi' in discussions like this. Let's stay nice here.

Angelo

Edited by Angelo - May 27 2006 at 15:52
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

Stonebeard's view :

Oh give me a break. I've never met someone on the forum who speels so bad you don't get what he's saying. Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>