FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRichard Sinclair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard Sinclair
    Posted: April 26 2006 at 14:31
A great bassist and one of the most wonderful voices of english prog and jazz.

Being a key figure and vocalist in Cantebury bands like Caravan, Hatfield and the North (as well as Camel, National Health, Wilde Flowers) and playing bass on Robert Wyatt's masterpiece Rock Bottom should secure his legendary status atleast within the prog community.

I've noticed lately that my two other favorites Robert Wyatt as well as Peter Hammill seems to be getting some well deserved acknowledgement even in the more classic rock oriented press.

Richard Sinclair is often forgotten even in this forum in polls and discussions about who's the best vocalist etc. So lets talk about him.

To start off, here's three of my favorites, from very different parts of his career:

Caravan: As I Feel I Die - Classic Cantebury from their second album. Great song, sung by Pye Hastings. Listen to the subtle bassline.

Hatfield and the North: Halfway Beetween Heaven and Earth - Bonus song on The Rotter's Club CD. Sinclair's voice is funny and melancholic at the same time. Maybe the best example of his vocal virtouosity. Stream it here on this site.

Camel: Summer Lightning - From '78. Not a popular song at all here I know, almost disco or Steely Dan sounding. But I love the vocals and the long guitarsolo.

I hope this unsung hero is doing well, and having a nice life somewhere.  

Edited by Rocktopus - April 26 2006 at 16:51
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 15:07
Richard Sinclair is one of the very best singers i know of in Prog Thumbs Up.

Trendkill_md View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 15:52
I agree, beautifull voice, very emotional. My favourite is And I Wish I Were Stoned by Caravan.
For if the sky is seeded death
what is the point in catching breath? - Expel it.
Ultaigh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 16:11
^
That's a great song and a great performance by Sinclair.  He's definetly one of my favorite vocalists.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 16:28
He's a pretty good songwriter as well - he contributed quite a lot to In The Land Of Grey and Pink, after Pye Hastings had written the b*** of the first two Caravan albums, and also wrote a few little Canterbury gems for Hatfield and the North. Somewhat underrated, if we're still allowed to use the term on here.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

dagrush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 16:29
Sinclair is fantastic. Last time they had one of those "best bassist/vocalist" polls, I chose him.
Publius84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 18:14
I like him very much. Nice voice and nice bass playing. I love Caravan and Camel.
I know what I like and I like what I know...

Prog is in my heart, in my mind, in my soul...
Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 18:25
Richard Sinclair is amazing. I'm a fanatic of his. I love his work in Camel the most.
www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 21:23
He's still going, I saw him with Hatfield and the North last year and he was outstanding.  I got to meet him after the show as well and speak to him (as well as get my CD signed), he's a cool guy and so is his wife, who was running the merchandise stand.

Another legend, I am so glad I got the chance to see and meet him.  A great concert too and Halfway Between Heaven and Earth was a great performance (it, at the time, being one of the few Hatfields tunes I knew).  He said he almost did a Caravan song, but Phil Miller apparently didn't know it, now that's hard to believe!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 03:48
Winter Wine is my fave of his Caravan tracks
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 03:55
And I Wish I was Stoned  and Winter Wine is also great. I could have picked almost any song from 'If I Could..' or 'Grey and Pink'.

To Caravan classics but Hatfield and the North (not counting Wyatt's Rock Bottom) is my favorite Sinclair band. Share it is the funniest albumopener I've heard.

I think the term underrated must be allowed in this case, because that is exactly what he is. There is a thread here called 'What is so good about The Rotter's Club?'. Well I think its full of intersting musical ideas, humour and melancholy, wonderful singing and playing, great melodies, its original and genre defining. Its also a complex listening pleasure that takes time to get into. And when you get into it there's always something new to discover, which means you never have to grow tired of it. 

I guess I think he should be a too well known and respected legend for fans to even have the guts to walk up to him and have a chat, Geck0. LOL

Great to see another fan of Secret Chiefs 3 here as well, Tenth Chaffinch. Book of Horizons is my (one of my few) prog album favorite from the last couple of years.

Has anyone heard The Wilde Flowers? They sure have an interesting line up.

Edited by Rocktopus - April 27 2006 at 04:34
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 05:02

Long live Richard Sinclair. Intelligent guy, by the way. Has a very progressive view on music, still today.

Did you know that he used to play music with his fans together at his home? Amazing! A great guy Clap , and he's got a beautiful voice.

I like him the most on Caravan's In The Land Of Grey And Pink, on Winter Wine especially.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 05:10
Originally posted by Dirk Dirk wrote:

Richard Sinclair is one of the very best singers i know of in Prog

Indeed, a very soft, gentle and pleasant voice.
The english hippie dandy!

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 06:36
AT LAST!!!! Did any of you read any of my recent posts? I seem to mention him every other post these days... Fantastic voice, one of the best ever. Why people keep praising the likes of John Wetton or (God forbid) James LaBrie Dead and forget R.S. is beyond me.

BTW, let's start a fan club, as there's quite a few of us here....Smile
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 09:30
Originally posted by Trendkill_md Trendkill_md wrote:

I agree, beautifull voice, very emotional. My favourite is And I Wish I Were Stoned by Caravan.

What a great avatar!! (Blue Oyster Cult's symbol)ClapClap
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

AT LAST!!!! Did any of you read any of my recent posts? I seem to mention him every other post these days... Fantastic voice, one of the best ever. Why people keep praising the likes of John Wetton or (God forbid) James LaBrie Dead and forget R.S. is beyond me.

BTW, let's start a fan club, as there's quite a few of us here....Smile

I like very much Richard Sinclair musical skills and vocals! Caravan are Caravan no more after his departure!!
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:54
Got to agree with all the sentiments here! Approve

I recently picked up Sinclair's 2 "Caravan Of Dreams" discs. The live one - "An Evening Of Magic" - is terrific. Well worth a listen. Thumbs Up

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
Fritha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 17:44
I tend to kind of overlook vocals most of the time but Richard Sinclair is one of the great exceptions; his tone is very special to me and I love it dearly. Winter Wine, Frozen Rose, Halfway Between Heaven and Earth, Keep On Caring...all lovely songs, made even lovelier with THAT voice Clap

I just got the recent solo album by Theo Travis called Earth To Ether on which Richard sings on three tracks. His voice is remarkably intact!
I was made to love magic
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 17:53
I love his singing. His voice is the voice of british humor. And his bass playing is great. Especially on aristocracy.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 03:35
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

To start off, here's three of my favorites, from very different parts of his career:

Caravan: As I Feel I Die - Classic Cantebury from their second album. Great song, sung by Pye Hastings. Listen to the subtle bassline.

Hatfield and the North: Halfway Beetween Heaven and Earth - Bonus song on The Rotter's Club CD. Sinclair's voice is funny and melancholic at the same time. Maybe the best example of his vocal virtouosity. Stream it here on this site.

Camel: Summer Lightning - From '78. Not a popular song at all here I know, almost disco or Steely Dan sounding. But I love the vocals and the long guitarsolo.

I hope this unsung hero is doing well, and having a nice life somewhere.   

I wish him all the best too. As a matter of fact, I've read somewhere that he was moving to Lecce, in South-east Italy. It would be great if I got to see him live in Rome sometime... though I tend to be rather shy and would probably not approach him after a gig.

That said, I agree with your choices. I'm no great fan of Pye Hastings's voice, but that Caravan song is great. My favourite, though, is (quite obviously) the marvellous "Winter Wine", and I also love Richard's vocals on "Hello Hello" and "Disassociation 100% Proof".

All his songs on "The Rotters' Club" are utterly magnificent, and demonstrate his vocal prowess. I have some brief experience of singing in a choir (many years ago!), and I know how important proper control of breathing can be for a singer, especially when the lyrics are particularly long and elaborate. Just listen to "Share It" - a less skillful vocalist would have killed the song.

"Summer Lightning" is another favourite of mine, in spite of the disco beat. Latimer's solo and Richard's vocals vastly improve what would only be a commercial number in the hands of somebody else. Then, as I said before, I also like "Down on the Farm" quite a lot... It's funny and uplifiting, and not easy to sing at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>