Topic Closed"Pomp Rock lives, but don't run away"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Pomp Rock lives, but don't run away"
    Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:07

Ok, time to discuss Pomp Rock!

I recently red a quite boring magazine called Classic Rock (# 92 if I'm not wrong). As said, it was quite boring except for an article about Pomp Rock. According to the article, this is american music from the late 70s and early 80s inspired by british Prog Rock. Major acts is, among others, Kansas, Starcastle and Styx. 

According to my 10 year old Rock Lexicon (EMP International Rock Digilex), Pomp Rock is pretty much the same as symphonic rock played by bands sush as Genesis.
According to the same source, Yes plays in a genre called Technoflash.

Who are right and who are wrong? The anwer is up to you to discuss!

Edited by Frasse - April 26 2006 at 17:23
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:17
I have also read that word "Technoflash" in a guitar magazine. In a list of "Technoflash" players they included Steve Howe. Confused
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:18
I'll stay with my prog rock thank you very much. I'll label Genesis and Kansas the same (progressive rock)

Now, about Technoflash . . .

Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:29
A lot of people think Fripp's work in the 80's is technoflash. Personally I find it to be more organic than the efforts of guitarists such as Steve Howe.
www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:35
I remember the term technoflash being used (I think) by NME in the 1970s, usually referring to prog bands like Yes. It was quite a negative term back then, the inplication being that the players were all about technique but were devoid of feeling or content, something which I feel is a bit unfair to Steve Howe but which describes some more contemporary shredders to a T.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:42
Isn't Journey pomprock ?
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 17:51
When I look again at my Lexicon, Technoflash is nowhere to be found. I dunno where I heard the term and why I relate it with Yes.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 18:22
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I remember the term technoflash being used (I think) by NME in the 1970s, usually referring to prog bands like Yes. It was quite a negative term back then, the inplication being that the players were all about technique but were devoid of feeling or content, something which I feel is a bit unfair to Steve Howe but which describes some more contemporary shredders to a T.

But it was refferd to bands that sounded like yes and gave more importance to the techniques, or were there any band that didn't sound like yes but gave more importance to technique so it was considered technoflas?
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 21:52
Pomp Rock could be another name for Prog Related...

Wow, this is my first time hearing of Technoflash
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 23:13
Pomp Rock was the definition mostly created to divide British Prog bands from suposedly USA "second class wannabe Prog bands".

The definition was so extended that Kansas despite being  born in 1970 was described as Pomp Rock, when as a fact they started almost simultaneously with the Pioneers being that they joined in 1970 but spent almost 4 years before releasing an album.

I believe the term is not only elitist but even worst xenophobic and false. Some USA bands are IMO in the same level as British Prog ones.

About Technoflash, any magazine that describes a musician like Steve Howe who bases a lot of his sound in acoustic technique is not worth to be bought. This term could maybe describe such guitar players as Malmsteen who had an excellent technique, were extremely fast but based their performance and songwritting in making evident this skills.

Howe is technicall yes, but his music is very emotional.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 26 2006 at 23:20

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 00:17
According to "The Progressive Rock Files" by jerry Lucky , pomp rock is:
Possibly an offshot of the whole progressive rock idea. This music is characterized by two basic qualities: 1) numerous crescendos, possible changes in time and tempo,accompanied by relatively bombastic intros and extros. 2)The music tends to be relatively fast paced and heavier through out. LP`s tend to sound at first listen basically like hard rock with a few ballads thrown in. Lyrics tend to be on the aggressive side. This subgenre led directly to prog metal bands like Dream Theater
Pomp Rock: Styx, Nightwish, Magnum.. etc...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 01:12
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

According to "The Progressive Rock Files" by jerry Lucky , pomp rock is:
Possibly an offshot of the whole progressive rock idea. This music is characterized by two basic qualities: 1) numerous crescendos, possible changes in time and tempo,accompanied by relatively bombastic intros and extros. 2)The music tends to be relatively fast paced and heavier through out. LP`s tend to sound at first listen basically like hard rock with a few ballads thrown in. Lyrics tend to be on the aggressive side. This subgenre led directly to prog metal bands like Dream Theater
Pomp Rock: Styx, Nightwish, Magnum.. etc...

Still not convinced Memo:

• STYX is AOR or Prog Related,  fitted perfectly in the old Art Rock definition (Borderline between Prog and AOR) (Early 70's to 00's)
  • Nightwish is mostly Gothic Prog Metal (1997 - 00's)
  • Magnum is a case of Prog Related/Metal related band but this time from the late 70's with some AORISH influences.

Honestly I don't find any real connection between the three, except maybe that Magnum is the middle of the road between STYX and Nightwish (Even when closer to the first one).

And even if there's a connectiopn, the movement range of this pseudo sub-genre would be too wide and vague.

The description of crescendos, bommbastic intros and closing sections plus faster and heavier approach, describes some ELP works also.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply