FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfavorite movie soundtracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: favorite movie soundtracks
    Posted: April 28 2006 at 23:46
Okay, I've seen about a billion threads on "favorite progggg albums ever" and "howe or hackett?", and  I'm really sick to death of them. I love progressive music too but let's branch out.

I'm a huge fan of movies and movie soundtracks and how they add to the flavor and power of a film. So what are some of your favorite (non-prog artist) movie soundtracks? Mine are:

-Death Wish II (love the evil, intense-sounding Roland Synth Guitars and hard-rocking tunes blasting out of the thug's boombox; all the music was composed and played by Jimmy Page)

-Psycho (shower scene, 'nuff said. The music made the two death scenes and the discovery of "Mother" at the end three of the most terrifying movie scenes of all-time)

-On the Waterfront (unbelievable soundtrack done by Leonard Bernstein; for a movie that came out in 1954, this soundtrack sounds so modern and fresh; really jarring and powerful, kind of reminds me of the intensity of "Death Wish's II"'s)

-The Good the Bad and the Ugly (one of the most beautiful soundtracks in history; I get chills when I hear the haunting "Carriage of the Spirits", and of course "Ecstasy of Gold" is absolutely timeless)

-2001: A Space Odyssey (the soundtrack of Ligeti tunes is unbelievable; "Atmospheres" is a chilling piece of music that every fan of Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd should love; "Lux Aeterna" isn't far behind)

-Terminator (classic music for a classic film; the intro theme, set to the scrolling title, is just timeless)

-Star Trek (just the series in general, Goldsmith did most of it and he did an amazing job)

Edited by coffeeintheface - April 28 2006 at 23:47
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 12:13
Guigo

~~~~~~
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 16:31
'Death Wish 2' lol. Charles Bronson was a hero of mine from his performances (if that's the right word...) in these, wasting criminals with increasing absurdity in every film. I still love these films for the pure reckless abandon alone, and Page's score is ace, I agree. Notably, the same score, more or less, was rehashed for the 3rd film in the series- that was the most notorious of them all, with Bronson exterminating hundreds of biker punks with a WW2 machine gun, old folks running out of their houses hitting villains with brooms and mops, oh and some booby traps with nails attached to incapacitate criminals' teeth. Top, 100% OTT stuff!!!LOL
The first film in the series has a top score too- by Herbie Hancock.

Sticking with Bronson, the 'Once Upon A Time In The West' score is unbelievably moving and perfect for the film. It's attached to it as every scene is added to immensely by the swirling, operatic and occasionally hypnotic. 'Harmonica Theme' is an unbelivably good piece of music- heavy, chiming fuzz guitars and swirling strings.
'The Stone Killer', a lesser piece of Dirty Harry-hokum which is nonetheless enjoyable. It has a great jazz rock score by Roy Budd, whose best work was for the Brit gangster classic, 'Get Carter'.

Much my favourite composers are Ennio Morricone and John Barry. Morricone's twin peaks are OUATIC and of course, 'The Good The Bad and The Ugly', which is another extremely moving piece- one scene in particular stands out for the music, where prisoners of war are forced to play a heartbreaking melody to drown out the torture of their fellow soldiers. And of course, the astonishing shoot out at the end which relies almost entirely upon the music for its tension.
Another Morricone favourite is 'For A Few Dollars More', 'Once Upon A Time In America', and one of his more underrated ones, 'A Fistful Of Dynamite'. The film is a bit hit and miss but the score is superb- the Irish parts of the film particularly.

John Barry contributed to most of the best Bond films- none better than 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service', his best score and best Bond film ever for me (best action scenes, best Bond girl ever, best in terms of acting and genuine emotion...). Lots of Moog heavy workouts and the lovely 'We Have All The Time In The World'.
Other faves of mine he's done are 'The Ipcress File', 'Quiller Memorandum', and his most underrated one, 'Game Of Death'. The film is an exploitative piece that used heavy and bad doubling to complete Bruce Lee's unfinished movie, but the score is superb. His theme for 'The Persuaders', one of my fave TV shows, is very good too.

Though he didn't do many films I know of, Laurie Johnson soundtracked some of my favourite TV shows. I like the quirkiness of 'The Avengers', the funkiness of 'The New Avengers' and 'The Professionals' and the various incidental themes he came up with for all of these.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 16:40
Flash Gordon!
no Im not kidding either, Queen did an amazing job, too catch to ignore! Wink
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 20:46
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Hey, coffeeintheface:

Wink

oops! 

Edited by coffeeintheface - April 29 2006 at 21:32
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 21:10
FM (SKY radio - "We'll Never Come Down to Earth!").  A two-record set, included Steely Dan's "FM" and "Do It Again" plus a whole lot of other 70's tunes.

Tuff Turf.  Stupid movie, great soundtrack.  Jim Carroll Band, Lene Lovich, Marianne Faithful, Jack Mack & the Heart Attack (loved those horns!), and Southside Johnny.

Mike's Murder.  Another stupid movie, but the Joe Jackson soundtrack is awesome.

The late 70's Friday night drive-in movie trifecta: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Heavy Metal, and The Rose.

This is Spinal Tap, The Commitments, Last of the Mohicans, Superfly, The Virgin Suicides, Philadelphia.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 21:54
The Thin Red Line

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 22:49
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 12:56
Just finished watching 'My Name Is Nobody'- an uneven film which is half a masterpiece being a moving eulogy to the Spaghetti Western, and half a stupid affair full of silly comedy. Nonetheless, the best bits are terrific, none more so than Ennio Morricone's superb score. It draws upon past glories, quoting from most of his earlier Spaghetti western scores but adds some wondrous, often lovely new parts in that add to the sentimentality but moving nature of the film.
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 22:10
Anything by Morriconne or Hans Zimmer.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 23:04
Or by Philipp Glass and Kronos Quartet

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman