Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwho made you pick up that instrument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 03:26
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Angus Young.

'nuff said

At least you only need the one string then, Cert

Originally posted by Prog-man Prog-man wrote:

STEVE HACKETT'S "FIRTH OF FIFTH" GUITAR SOLO (GENESIS - "SECONDS OUT") WAS MY REASON TO PLAY GUITAR.

Good call - if you're going to be inspired, be inspired by the best!

Personally, it was a combination of Ken Hensley, Thjis Van Leer & Tony Banks who made me crave a Hammond Organ; over the years (bear in mind, this is since about 1971), other players such as Greg Rolie, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord, Hugh Banton and a host of others came at me from the prog/rock scene, plus players like Charles Earland, Joey DiFrancesco (probably spelt wrong) & Jimmy Smith from the jazz side...

In the end, I gave in & bought a 1971 Hammond L122 & Leslie 145; slowly (oh, so slowly!), I am learning to play (not easy to begin a completely new discipline at the age of 43 ) - I'll never be on the stage, but hey, who cares? I got me a Hammond!

Edited by Jim Garten - June 28 2006 at 03:36

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
VERS View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 02:12
I Picked up the bass thanks to Mr. Les Claypool, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and my stepbrother. Gotta love that tone.
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 21:07
I started to play guitar because I was so amazed by Steve Howe and I still am.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 11:48
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Neil Peart and the music of Rush inspired me to play drums. 
Unfortunately, I haven't played in many years.  However, now that
I have a house with a big basement I may reassemble my kit and try to
start playing again (much to my wife's dismay )

Same here. Peart and the first serious drum fill of 2112. I heard it and said to myself "I gotta play that!"

Funny thing, when I first heard Portnoy, I told myself, "that is a case of overplaying." Then I realized I was told the same thing early on by other drummers that Peart over-played. Plus ca change!
pepo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 20:46
I love each and every instrument but you can't do much if you play a violin, flute or trumpet alone. That's why I picked a polyphonic instrument. When I heard ELP or Wakeman I thought that it would be great to play those solos and those extended complex pieces. Sadly I found that these guys were real monsters and although I managed to replicate some of the solos I was far from playing like them so I took it easy and started all over with easier mainstream songs. Then I found that it was fun to play keys or guitar while you're singing because you can make a song alone. When I played flute or violin I needed someone else to accompany me. In conclusion, the keyboard is what I like the most, you can do all the chords, play fast and sing along. Furthermore it has other sounds sampled so you can do lots of things. In fact, many of the newer prog bands like Ars Nova and Minimun Vital (if I dont mistake) use sampled keyboards to mimic other instruments with good effect. However I'd like to get my hands into a real piano or harpsichord, it has a magic of its own.
spacecraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 19:43
Dream Theatre made me pick up the axe.....so i could go down my local record/cd shop and smash up all their woeful records/cd's...ditto Phil Collins.
____VdGG____ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 01:55
I started paying piano when I was 4, because my mother made me, and started playing bass somewhat more recently after I heard Jannik Top's bass playing for the first time. It was really inspiring for me to see a bass in the forefront of a band's sound instead of a guitar. Still haven't even tried to learn to play any Magma yet, because no-one tabs it and it's insane!
Iron throated monsters are forcing the screams;
Mind and machinery box-press our dreams
hanselnmetal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 01:30
john zorn definately made me pick up my sax
Sharier View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 07:39
It was 1980--- and I picked up guitar to play Uriah Heep, The Eagles and The Beatles. things changed later on.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 07:34
David Gilmour was the first person who inspired me to play guitar. The problem was that, although most of what he plays isn't technically difficult, it's well nigh impossible to play with the emotion and intensity he displays on (for example) the solos on Comfortably Numb. 25 years later I'm still trying! 
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 12:11
Originally posted by fungusucantkill fungusucantkill wrote:

what band gives you chills
what musician made you realize I definetly have to start getting into this

my first prog listen was YYZ by Rush, i wasn't influenced much by it. I enjoyed it.

But then i picked up Yes "Fragile" and I listened to roundabout

i had to pick up prog bass

wahts yours?

Rush - 2112 - Neil Peart
Heavily influenced by Peart and then Collins just a bit. Drums were part of my youth, before hearing any Prog. Always wanted to play and I wasn't able to until I could buy my own at the age of 17. My parents wouldn't encourage any budding rock star. It was not an appropriate career. LOL!!!!
thetick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:21
I was beating away Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida on my Dungeons and Dragons books and then when I got a set and it was Ian Paice and John Bonham. That was until I remebered this Tom Sawyer tune I heard on the radio. That was it then. I was a Peart freak after that. I wore out 2 A Farewell to Kings tapes practicing to them.  Now I still play Rush, DT, Synphony X, Dali's Dillemma, Shadow Gallery, Yes (a little, not much of a jazz player), and Porcupine Tree to name a few.
Handing sanity to a faceless mind
I step though the void into this blind
Memory where I see life, death and purity
Clocks dream tolls endlessly
imoeng View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 09:48
My ultimate favorite band, who turns me from Guns and Roses, who turns me to a guitar geek, who turns me to a boy who keep spend his mom money just to buy a cd...

Dream Theater..

oh, at first, i listen to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, yeah, G3 stuff, when i started to play guitar...

vaportrail View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 09:46
Sir Chris Squire and Geddy Lee got me to pick up the bass. Two years on and still absolutely hooked, which is odd for me. First two things I learned were 'Red Sector A' and 'Parralels'
I can feel no sense of measure
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 09:11
Angus Young.

'nuff said
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
progrockgirl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 04:23
I took up alto saxophone in 5th grade, before I discovered prog. As I remember, I was impressed with the Average White Band's "Pick Up the Pieces" and with Bobby Keys, who played tenor sax for the Rolling Stones. Alto sax was the only offering at the time, although I would have preferred tenor.

My grandparents tryed to discourage me, saying  sax was too masculine and that I should pick a "nice" instrument such as the flute or clarinet-lol!

These days, I'm obsessed with mellotrons and would love to learn to play one although I've never played any keyboards.
sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 19:21
I picked up drums/percussion at 11.  I didn't have an influence, until I discovered Neil Peart in 1994.  I then started writing songs in 1995, influenced by Richard Marx, Rush, Journey and Melissa Etheridge.  I'm taking guitar lessons at the moment, inspired by Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci and Eddie Van Halen.  I gotta add; Mikael Akerfeldt and Steve Wilson are influencing me, both for their great songs and emotionality.
Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 17:30
Danny Elfman
Pneubauer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 17:21
Ive been meaning to buy a cheap electric guitar for a long time now, either that or 3 or 4 old, used keyboards so I can mess around with the electronics... I'd rather get a guitar though...

Robert Fripp, Hackett, and Gary Green would probably be the biggest influences making me want to play guitar... I love Fripp's and Hackett's styles but I like Gary Green purely because he brings some bluesy rock riffs and solos to Gentle Giant when their music is usually... unusual... haha. Two good examples I can think of are the solos on 'Peel the paint' and on 'The House, The Street, The Room' (or is it on 'Wreck'? or 'Plain truth'? I cant remember!!! AAAAAAAAH! I just listened to the damn thing last night!! Im almost 80% certain its on 'tHtStR' though'

anyways! All three of em are great... I guess Howe is good too.. but I am certainly more strongly influenced by those three... NOW... to buy a guitar. ..  .

Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 17:13
Dan Hawkins (The Darkness) inspired me to pick up the guitar. Since then guitarists like Steve Rothery, Steve Hackett and Andy Latimer have been a huge influence on my playing style.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>