FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMostly Autumn, Milton Keynes, UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mostly Autumn, Milton Keynes, UK
    Posted: May 13 2006 at 20:00
Just home from a Mostly Autumn gig at the Milton Keynes Stables, and what a fantastic show it was too! My first glimpse of MA live, and they really turned it on in style tonight. I was sitting about 5 metres from the band. Heather Findlay really lights up the stage, but there were excellent performance all round, in particular Angela Gordon on keyboards and flute, and I thought the drumming was excellent. They also had an excellent backing vocalist (sorry but didn't get the name) who did an excellent 'duet', imitating the sounds played by Mr Josh on his guitar.

Finished up with Mother Nature as encore which segued into a snippit from Floyd's 'Echoes'.

Firmly on my 'must see again' list of bands!!
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 20:14
Heather & Angela are very busy artists as they supported Fish on Wednesday night!
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 22:37
I'll hope and wait until they come to Puerto Rico. There are alot of bands I would like to see, but saddly I live in a place where most people don't even know it exist. Unhappy

Mr. Sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 22:41
Woah, if you think that Puerto Rico is bad then don't come down to where I live. We practically get NO live gigs by any well known artists, only the locals bands who try their best not to sound like absolute s**t. Tasmania is sadly not a musical place whatsoever, and is hardly on the map.

the only way to see a decent live show is to travel to the mainland, or even overseas.

I would very much like to see Mostly Autumn live, their music is pretty darn good.

Edited by Mr. Sanchez - May 13 2006 at 22:55
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:55

Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Heather & Angela are very busy artists as they supported Fish on Wednesday night!

Fish's girlfriend is supporting him on the last leg of the Return to Childhood tour now? Heh, cool. I'd go see the show, but I've already been to see him on this tour twice last year.

Edited by richeym - May 13 2006 at 23:56
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:00
Originally posted by Mr. Sanchez Mr. Sanchez wrote:

Woah, if you think that Puerto Rico is bad then don't come down to where I live. We practically get NO live gigs by any well known artists, only the locals bands who try their best not to sound like absolute s**t. Tasmania is sadly not a musical place whatsoever, and is hardly on the map.

the only way to see a decent live show is to travel to the mainland, or even overseas.

I would very much like to see Mostly Autumn live, their music is pretty darn good.

I feel your pain man Cry

Edited by chamberry - May 14 2006 at 00:01

Mr. Sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 02:18
Haha..yeah it sucks aye. But thats the good bit, you wait so long to see your favoutire bands live, and when you do, god its worth it!
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 04:49
Wow, I just listened to the Mostly Autumn songs on PA. I must admit i've never heard them before. If I were to buy one of their albums, which is best?

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 05:42
Originally posted by Kleynan Kleynan wrote:

Wow, I just listened to the Mostly Autumn songs on PA. I must admit i've never heard them before. If I were to buy one of their albums, which is best?

For All We Shared, The Last Bright Light or The Spirit of Autumn Past if you like their folkier stuff. If you like the heavier side, Passengers or Storms Over Still Water. But they're all 4 or 5*.

The new backing vocalist is Olivia Sparnenn. Quite an eyeful as well as a remarkable singer!

If you want to see MA at their best, try to get tickets for their Christmas party (they did 2 last year) at the Lion Inn at Blakey. I did last year. There was a band of 7 + Olivia and about 80 fans crammed into a tiny room. They started at 9.15, finished at 1.15 with a half hour break for beer (7 real ales!!!). It was the best gig I've ever been to; great music and a lot of fun and banter. Even my 17 year old son loved it and he generally doesn't like prog.

I bumped into Andy Smith (bassist) at a gig my son's band were doing a few weeks ago in York and he said MA are probably going into the studios this summer, as soon as Bryan Josh has written enough good songs.
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 05:52
The Last Bright Light maybe
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
StarshipTrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:19
I went to last nights show in Milton Keynes as well. Now this is the 16th time I have seen Mostly Autumn and I have to say, i found the performance to be one of the worse I have seen from them. It has nothing to do with their individual talent, its just that there was something missing......Iain Jennings. Now this is the second MA show i have seen without Iain and in my opinion the band miss him a lot. Chris Johnson is ok as a tempory replacement but, he remains hidden behind Angie's keyboards and remains totally anonymous. Iain had a presence about him and the gap has not been filled IMHO. There is talk about Chris Johnson becoming the permanent replacement for IJ. I hope this turns out not to be the case.
The concert was ok though except for the idiots at the back who kept shouting out.
The highlights for me were Evergreen and Carpe Diem, both great songs.
I didn't stay behind to chat to the band this time, although I have done on many occasions. A 2 hour trip back home put paid to that, but, they are among the nicest people you could wish to meet and if you get the chance to stay behind after a show to chat to them, then do so.
ProgFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 10:39
I saw MA live in Verviers (BE). It was a very good concert. I like to see them againClap
carpetcrawl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:31
Poor Mr Sanchez Well i thought Melbourne was bad enough but poor old Tassie, well as you know we did get YES and Tull here, well they have been around for years so how long before we do See Mostly Autumn here? if ever? I have givin up on RUSH coming here.
 Post Reply Post Reply