Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedManeige and Conventum released by ProgQue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 12:06

Put me on the list of those who will buy the Lasting Weep,Dervieux and Vos Voisins stuff.

These are burning(no pun intend) to be released!
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 12:19

OOOPS!!!Shocked

I just found out that Toubabou are in!

Sorry.

smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Now I don't get it.
Ville-Emard Blues Band,Laferière,Kaczsinsky,L'Orchestre Sympatique,Toubabou and Agharta aren't on PA!
WHY???Shocked
As for Yvon DesChamps having ties with Vos Voisins,it should also help that he lives in West-Mount,near the headquarters of ProgQuebec!Approve

You guys just gotta add them I guess :). The powers that be might not want me reviewing our own stuff.

Regards,
Sean / ProgQuebec
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 14:05

Put me on the list of those who will buy the Lasting Weep,Dervieux and Vos Voisins stuff.

These are burning(no pun intend) to be released!

Awesome, thanks a lot man.

Regards,
Sean / ProgQuebec
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 06:40
Originally posted by smcfee smcfee wrote:

Now I don't get it.
Ville-Emard Blues Band,Laferière,Kaczsinsky,L'Orchestre Sympatique,Toubabou and Agharta aren't on PA!
WHY???Shocked
As for Yvon DesChamps having ties with Vos Voisins,it should also help that he lives in West-Mount,near the headquarters of ProgQuebec!Approve

You guys just gotta add them I guess :). The powers that be might not want me reviewing our own stuff.

Regards,
Sean / ProgQuebec

I added  and reviwed L' Orchestre Sympathique about a month agoWink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 06:42

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Although not Quebecois but Franco-Ontarians, I also added CANO Thumbs Up on the Archives a few weeks ago (reviews of the first two albums coming up this week) and their first three albums are  available as weel as a Best of

They are a lovely folk rock often reminding of the folkier Renaissance

Absolutely recommended also

Are you sure the third one ''Eclipse'' is out on CD?
Never seen it.Confused
Cannot be 100% sure, but I think I saw it in either Doug Larson or Greg Walker
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 09:52

Oh yeah,L'Orchestre Sympatique are in.I searched ''L'' instead of ''O''.Ermm

As for Cano's third album,I searched all around and didn't see it.Only the first couple and the compilation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:25

Oh yeah, L'Orchestre Sympatique are in.I searched ''L'' instead of ''O''.

As for Cano's third album,I searched all around and didn't see it.Only the first couple and the compilation.

Might just be I dreamt this also, because I cannot seem to find it either
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 13:22
here are the CANO reviews as promised

CANO – Tous dans L’même Bateau

Debut album from this combo emanating from a communal art association in Northern Ontario, and quite a pleasant surprise for the proghead looking for progressive folk music. Heavily laced with the rude weather and rough wildlife mixed with a superbly generous hippydom, Cano’s music shines in this writer’s memories of a happy “teendom”. Memories of campfire with girls (and condoms;-), beers (and doobies;-) and guitars (and bongos;-) on a lakeside beach (called Creemore Dirtywater Upheaval;-) with the stereo blasting Harmonium or Rush certainly, but also of Cano. The album came with a superb artwork evocating the old Pioneering days with Fur traders, Canoes and portages, which represent one facet on CANO.

Cano’s music certainly reflects the calm pastoral life of the mid-Northern Ontario, where French and English speakers lived alongside with few problems (in later albums Cano will also sing tracks in English), but as mentioned above, the rough conditions. Apart of the stunning 8-min opener (Viens Nous Voir inviting you to jump in their wonderful world), most of the first side is relatively short folk rock (trad folk as main inspiration but with a clear Acadian flavor) tracks, depicting crazy old fools (Mederic - a jig), to boring Sunday Afternoons and getting lost in the big cities (Rues D’Ottawa). The piano playing is sometimes reminding me of the one in Skynyrd’s Freebird.

The second side of the album was made of two lengthy stunners with a short interlude separating them. En Plein Hiver, depicting the winter “blah” (Ontarians will appreciate) with this especially beautiful spirit that Harmonium managed on their debut and the Cinquième Saison. As will be usual, Cano start slowly and calmly, taking their time in building a sweet but implacable crescendo, to culminate superbly, and then ending in a short recap of the intro. In some way, if people asked how rush could make so much “noise” being just a trio, one of the most intriguing antithesis of that is how could an octet such as Cano be so delicate? The closing Baie St-Marie (written by Marcel Aymar who also had done the opening salvo) is probably a better tourist postcard than any possible picture could probably: as cymbals, seagulls, creaking wooden boats will gradually lead into an acoustic strumming guitar doubled by an electric piano, bongos, a swinging funky electric guitar, then drums and a superb violin (remember this was an octet), the track is now into a delightful groove with Kohut’s violin twirling, swirling, twiddling, circling, flying from one ear to the other. Believe me, you’ll want to visit the place that inspired such a great musical moment. In the middle section, the track slows back down to allow a sleepy trumpet answers the seagulls and the dramatic violin underlining the sea-lost father (Acadian hardships are never really far away from the superb lyrics) and a solemn end. I think I found my next holiday destination (once more;-).

Both Cds are now coming with fully translated lyrics. I wonder if these guys actually ever considered their music to be the equivalent in quality of the great folk-prog groups that are included in our beloved Archives, but their more ambitious tracks certainly stand out with the masters of the genre.

Cano – Au Nord De Notre Vie

While the debut had scored some attention in French-speaking Canada, Cano decided to bring up Rachel Paiement’s delicious voice more upfront. Her voice timbre is halfway between Haslam (Renaissance) or Christina (Curved air) and Monique Fauteux (Harmonium) or Christiane Robichaux (Contraction). While still remaining a primarily folk spirit, this album is slightly rockier (and sometimes more fusion) than the debut. Needless to say this album struck the same chord in this writer’s soul (and his pack of friends also) and provided a healthy alternative (or counterbalance) to our hard rock leanings (Zep, Priest, Rush) and calmer nights around the campfire when the parents had not unknowingly left us the houses to organize our wild house-parties.

Again as the French title hints, the album is again centered around their Acadian roots, the rough Northern climates and their sheer generous (and hippy) idealism. The artwork is again representative of the (sometimes hostile) nature around them, also. Opening track is a visit to an old Amerindian spirit of the river (Che-Zeebe), and Rachel’s superb aerial voice is a pure joy, while the group is developing a great prog rock behind her. With a worthy (but unremarkable dure to the great surrounding tracks) Automne gone by, we find the 11-min mini-suite A La Poursuite Du Nord (from which suite the album title is taken from) and anyone living in mid-Canada, cannot help but experiencing chills down their spine. Rachel’s voice with Kendel’s piano reminds us the greatest moments of Renaissance (Haslam and Tout), but the track soon evolves in much more than the British group ever had to offer (remember we are dealing with an octet in Cano) into a wild soul-search of the spirit of the north. In New Orleans, this would be equivalent to emotive blues sung by cotton-field workers. Kohut’s violin, never very fast (preferring every slow meander it can possibly find) while staying concise, is reminding of JL Ponty’s albums of the same years.

The B side of the album starts with the stunning 12-min Mon Pays, which could almost be regarded as an updated version of Gilles Vigneault’s timeless anthemic Mon Pays (C’est L’ Hiver). After a delicious debut and a more fusion-like follow-up, the middle section almost stops to have the bass sing out with the birds and it slowly brings the track to an almost jazz-rock feeling (again, strangely, Renaissance springs up to mind but the first version of it with Cennamo on bass) with a delicious multi solo section and without warning popping back into the track into a superb finale. Another updated timeless classic is the nursery rhyme Frère Jacques in a stunning rearrangement! Du grand art , Monsieur! Such an album could not close away on anything else than a stunning instrumental, resuming the spirit of the album, and believe this writer, this is one hell of an exit. This 6-min is as delightful as a sunset over a lake in the mid-north, a brew in your hand and the partner in the other.

A stunning but grossly overlooked album (only yelling for the proghead’s attention to repair this huge and blatant injustice), clearly Cano had come of age, and their next step would be to start gaining more attention of the English part of Canada with their following Eclipse (which never got a Cd release as did none of their later albums. This album ranks among the very best of the country in the late-70’s and there was solid competition. Warmly recommended, especially if you long for Canada.

(About that time for holidays, Hugues ;-)

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 15:42
Your review of CANO albums are very interesting,thanks Sean.
It remind me the times when one of my friend,who have the "On est tous dans le même bateau" in vinyl, listen to these albums and some others prog albums of Quebec some 15 years ago.I didn't hear it since that time but I remember that I liked it very much and realize that they were very prog influenced.

If you like CANO,I will suggest you to try Les Séguin "Récolte de Rêve".Like CANO,Les Séguin were a commune in the 70's.They were originally a brother/sister duo (in fact they are twins) who released a couple of folk pop albums.Récolte de rêve was released in 1975,the same year as "Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison" by Harmonium(it was even recorded in the same studio,a couple of months apart).Récolte de rêve is their more prog influenced album,much in the style of Malicorne,the french folk-rock band or Fairport Convention with regional Quebec feel.It contains traditional instruments mainly(violins,cello,mandoline,steel guitar,flute) along with some Eminent organ strings sound (that sound is so good).The vocals harmonies of Richard and Marie-Claire Séguin are one of the most beautiful ones I heard on record.They were close friends of Harmonium,Pierre Daigneault the flute player on "Les Cinq saisons" also played on "Récolte de rêves" and the rest of the sessions musicians came from L'Infonie.Richard Séguin will later sings back vocals on the Harmonium" l'Heptade" and will released an album in duo with Serge Fiori "200 Nuits à l'heure"wich is very good (I consider this album as Harmonium 4th album).Marie-Claire also released a solo album in 1978 with all the Harmonium musician wich is also very good.That women is one of the most beautiful voice in Quebec.

During the 70's, they lived in a "commune" in St-Venant in the eastern township.They were the leaders of the so called "granola" mouvement or "retour à la terre" wich encourages the young people to get back on the land and lives with the harvest of the earth.A lot of people followed their ideas at the time and a lot of communes were formed.The fact that they lived in a rural community also reflected on "Récolte de rêves"wich feel the nature,woods and pastoral atmosphere.It one of my favorite Quebec album,just after "Les Cinq Saisons" by Harmonium.Some of the songs of the album like "He Noé!","Les Saisons" and"À la pleine lune" certainly belongs in the prog-folk style.Here a pic of the cover:

smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 20:07
Hello,

I have four Seguin albums (as well as solo by Richard and Marie-Claire) and they are quite nice!

Regards,
Sean / ProgQuebec
The Rock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 20:37
Ok,

I've just finished listening to Charles Kaczynski's '' Lumière de la nuit'' Cd recently put out by ProgQuebec.What a beautiful piece of art!
Gorgeous and soothing melodies in grandiose format.
Reminds me a bit of Mike Olfield's work.
Violin,Cello,flutes,12 string gtrs,timbales,percussions,accoustic basses,ect...
Kaczynski plays them all,with brio and assurance.
Do yourself a favor and get this album.
One of the best reissue of the year so far along with Yves Laferrière.Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:49
Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

If you like CANO,I will suggest you to try Les Séguin "Récolte de Rêve".Like CANO,Les Séguin were a commune in the 70's.They were originally a brother/sister duo (in fact they are twins) who released a couple of folk pop albums.Récolte de rêve was released in 1975,the same year as "Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison" by Harmonium(it was even recorded in the same studio,a couple of months apart).Récolte de rêve is their more prog influenced album,much in the style of Malicorne,the french folk-rock band or Fairport Convention with regional Quebec feel.It contains traditional instruments mainly(violins,cello,mandoline,steel guitar,flute) along with some Eminent organ strings sound (that sound is so good).The vocals harmonies of Richard and Marie-Claire Séguin are one of the most beautiful ones I heard on record.They were close friends of Harmonium,Pierre Daigneault the flute player on "Les Cinq saisons" also played on "Récolte de rêves" and the rest of the sessions musicians came from L'Infonie.Richard Séguin will later sings back vocals on the Harmonium" l'Heptade" and will released an album in duo with Serge Fiori "200 Nuits à l'heure"wich is very good (I consider this album as Harmonium 4th album).Marie-Claire also released a solo album in 1978 with all the Harmonium musician wich is also very good.That women is one of the most beautiful voice in Quebec.

During the 70's, they lived in a "commune" in St-Venant in the eastern township.They were the leaders of the so called "granola" mouvement or "retour à la terre" wich encourages the young people to get back on the land and lives with the harvest of the earth.A lot of people followed their ideas at the time and a lot of communes were formed.The fact that they lived in a rural community also reflected on "Récolte de rêves"wich feel the nature,woods and pastoral atmosphere.It one of my favorite Quebec album,just after "Les Cinq Saisons" by Harmonium.Some of the songs of the album like "He Noé!","Les Saisons" and"À la pleine lune" certainly belongs in the prog-folk style.Here a pic of the cover:

I remember Les Seguins coming to Belgium in the early 70's and playing on a kid programme on TV once (around 71, I think >> I left for Canada in 73)

Although not really a fan of what they did in the 80's, I recently relistened to Recolte D' Un Reve which I found disappointing. I was hoping more of something in the line of the first record he made with his sister just called Seguin >> it has that spine-chilling track Genocide on it

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 12:36

Ok,

I've just finished listening to Charles Kaczynski's '' Lumière de la nuit'' Cd recently put out by ProgQuebec.What a beautiful piece of art!
Gorgeous and soothing melodies in grandiose format.
Reminds me a bit of Mike Olfield's work.
Violin,Cello,flutes,12 string gtrs,timbales,percussions,accoustic basses,ect...
Kaczynski plays them all,with brio and assurance.
Do yourself a favor and get this album.
One of the best reissue of the year so far along with Yves Laferrière.Clap

You just convinced me to order itWink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12