Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommend me some Psychedelic prog.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 05:12

Dom - Edge of time (Wonderful psychedelic spaceprogfolk) (Germany, Poland, Hungary)

Pulsar - Strands of the future (Symphonic spaceprog) France

Älgarnas Trädgård - Framtiden är ett svävande skepp, förankrad i forntiden ("The future is a hovering ship, anchored in the past") (Psychedelic spacefolkprog) Sweden

And, if you can tolerate very bad sound production, try the Norwegian Akasha's selftitled album from 1977, which is partly excellent spaceprog.
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 05:36
Ozric Tentacles
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 09:40
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

One question to Tristan Mulders: What is so psychedelic about Amplifier? I have their debut and I dont see any psych parts. All I hear is progmetal  á la late Porcupine Tree without the spacy/psych parts.

Amplifier's debut album and the follow-up EP definitely have major spacey parts if you ask me. Mainly because of... well... the amplifiers Smile. Their second album is even about space travelling, so how more space can you get Wink They do not sound anything like PT imho. But I noticed that Amplifier was already mentioned in the initial post so I wouldn't even have to recommend it..

have you ever listened to Oceansize? Do you consider them to be space rock or psychedelic rock?
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 14:06
I haven't heard Oceansize. In my initial post I said that I would like to listen to them. So If you have a recommendation please feel free to post it. And for the psychedelic/space rock comment... I couldn't say since I never knew the difference between. Nobody ever told me Embarrassed

Edited by chamberry - May 22 2006 at 14:06

Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 17:25
Without sounding blasphemous, I'd recommend some stuff on the Beatles 'White Album' and 'Yellow Submarine'.    
RELIGION IS HATE, RELIGION IS FEAR, RELIGION IS WAR,RELIGION IS RAPE, RELIGION'S OBSCENE,RELIGION'S A WHORE
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 17:53
Check out the Greek PLJ Band with their album Armageddon, an excellent trip!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:15
Hawkwind and the Ozric Tentacles are an obvious choice. also try Here & Now, Clearlight and the solo albums of Steve Hillage and Christian Boulé. also "Precious Cargo" by High Tide (and if you like your psychedelic a little harder, also their first album "Sea Shanties" and their second self-titled album). not to forget the solo albums of Nik Turner

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
o0mr_bill0o View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 13:10
A lot of my favorites have already been listed, so i'll try to throw out some ones I haven't seen mentioned. 

As far as older things from the 60s/70s go, most has already been mentioned, but there's still:
Arzachel
Yatha Sidhra
Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come
Ash Ra Tempel (Timothy Leary does the vocals for Seven Up, for god's sake)

Then there's a lot of newer stuff i haven't seen mentioned, some of which i list may not be entirely prog, but certainly psychedelic, fantastic and close enough. 
The Spacious Mind
Giobia
Floorian
Secret Saucer
The First Band From Outer Space
DarXtar
The Other Window
Brainstorm
Acid Mothers Temple
Nukli
Øresund Space Collective
Negative Zone

Of those newer ones, I'd say Giobia and Secret Saucer are probably my favorites (with one album from each, Beyond the Stars and Element 115 respectively).  I think giobia has some of their songs on their myspace page if you want to check 'em out.  Floorian's also really good, and I think theirs was the first album of that bunch I bought.  It was also made better by the fact that the disc was 3 bucks off amazon.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 16:25
BaldJean, since you know alot of the Gong univers, can you tell me if  Dashiell Hedayatt's Obsolete album is as trippy as Sean says it is? I'm very sceptical of Sean Trane being so hyped by one album. I didn't thought that was possible LOL

Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 17:48
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I haven't heard Oceansize. In my initial post I said that I would like to listen to them. So If you have a recommendation please feel free to post it. And for the psychedelic/space rock comment... I couldn't say since I never knew the difference between. Nobody ever told me Embarrassed

If you'd like to explore Oceansize, I'd invite you to read my reviews, I've written reviews for all official releases. I'd go for the Effloresce album which is a bit like Pink Floyd vs. Tool
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 19:50
^Thanks Tristan. That will be my last album to get at the momment. I'm quite full now. But this doesn't mean everyone can stop their recommendations Wink after the first albums I'll be sure to try and get the other ones mentioned.

THANKS TO ALL!! and keep 'em coming

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 06:55

Good psychedelic music is truly interesting, it evokes feelings and thoughts which may create very powerful experiences. Some goodies from the archives which I like:

AARDVARK's one album has amazing psychedelia on the second side of the LP!

AMON DÜÜL 2, at least their "Phallus Dei" is a wondefrul album full of mysteries!

ARZACHEL, one classic album from 1969.

ASH RA TEMPEL, their early albums are very good! If you like their chaotic aural universes, check out these "private tapes" too: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=679.

Something by SYD BARRET might be interesting to hear, if you like early PINK FLOYD.

Also HAWKWIND's late ROBERT CALVERT did some solo stuff, at least his "Captain Locheed & The Starfighters" is a great album!

The German GÄA (Gaia) has done some quite good stoned hippie rock, their first album is worht of listening!

HIDRIA SPACEFOLK is also a nice Finnish pasych band, maybe worth of checking out (free mp3's on their official homepage).

JADE WARRIOR has very imaginative, ethnic influenced stuff. "Released" is their best IMO.

KINGSTON WALL is a famous Finnish psych band. Their 2nd album is maybe most appreciated, but I liked most their new live collection!

THE SPACIOUS MIND, my favourite neo-psych band. Very recommendable for retro fans!

VANILLA FUDGE has also some good early psych oriented material, their 1st album maybe being best.

When exloring psych albums I would recommend to check out band also from the categories of "prog folk" and "krautrock". There are many wonderful psych-related titles on these genres, like MUSHROOM, TREES, RUFUS ZUPHALL and NECRONOMICON. I'm sure Sean know lots about psych folk, and there are several people with lots of info about krautrock here (somewhere...)!

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 08:55
Originally posted by HeirToRuin HeirToRuin wrote:

I'm not sure if others would agree, but I find Camel's early albums to be pretty psychedelic...up through Moonmadness.

I was in my early 20's at the end of the 1970s, so I couldn't agree with you more...
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 12:22
I'm really liking alot those Krautrock bands mentioned. I already have:

Amon duul II -  Yeti, Wolf city and Phalus dei is on the way
Agitation free - Melesch
Ash ra tempel - debut
Hawkwind - space ritual
Brainticket - Cottonwood hill, psychonauts
Ozric tentacles - jurassic shift
Dzyan - electric silence
Jade warrior - floating world
Grobschnitt - Solar music live
IEM(love that name) - arcadia son

I already had:
TMV
Camel
OSI
Hidria spacefolk
Vanilla Fudge

honestly I like them all  Hug

Keep them coming people!

Edited by chamberry - May 25 2006 at 12:23

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 18:28
Julian's Treatment delivers some great psychedelic material!
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

*Igra Staklenih Perli Smile

However, no albums may not be released on CD. I think 'Drives' is the best album. Igra Staklenih Perli is ex-Yugoslavia group.

*Marble Sheep Wink

Once Takahashi Akiko (ex-Ars Nova) played in this group. There are many CD albums. Would you please listen to 'Stone Marby'.

No, I would not recommend Drives by ISP first. It is mostly outtakes. Try to get either "Soft Explosion Live" or "Inner Flow", they are both excellent and I think available on CD. Of course their eponymous debut from 1979 is essential, but not sure whether can be found on CD...
Enjoy!
Erpland316 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 12:10

Check out anything by Ozric Tentacles, especially Erpland -one of the best albums in the last 16 years!  Get Green by Steve Hillage(featuring Nick Mason playing drums).  Also check out Arzachel  by Arzachel-very pscyhdelic inspired.  Although the Grateful Dead are not really considered prog, their music is very psychedelic, after all they did start that whole genre!  If you are into them or want to get into them, check out LiveDead and Blues for Allah.

"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12