Topic ClosedI've fallen in love with Paatos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 07:06
Originally posted by xtopher xtopher wrote:

Originally posted by Quiet Drops Quiet Drops wrote:

Incredible band, and you are right their music is 100 times more important than DT'sWink

It never ceases to amaze me that in a thread solely dedicated to an art rock band from Sweden, someone will find a way to bash Dream Theater.

They're different bands. Different styles. How can you compare them? Well, some people can find a way.Dead

I only mentioned that because the thread starter said he wasn't too impressed by DT.
mghiotti View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:03

Incredible band, and you are right their music is 100 times more important than DT'sWink

It never ceases to amaze me that in a thread solely dedicated to an art rock band from Sweden, someone will find a way to bash Dream Theater.

They're different bands. Different styles. How can you compare them? Well, some people can find a way.Dead

As a matter of fact, there's no such a huge correlation indeed. The point I wanted to make was that, and DT is just the first example popped into my mind, prog music is also Paatos, and most of all, prog music, since I consider it one of the highest form of expression in music history, should be "cleaned" and  "purified" a little bit as far as the terminology is concerned. DT, as well as Tool for instance are moving towards a genre which is not prog any more. As I said before, odd rhythms do not make mucis be called progressive.

I would like to give you a practical example of what I consider prog music in a broader sense: here in this web-site radiohead is considered as such and I couldn't be more in agreement with that, but also, to me, Miles Davis was a pioneer "sui generis" of such a genre.

Do yo agree with me?

Walri View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:09
My piano teacher lent me the Kallocain CD/DVD thing... the CD was pop, and the DVD was only interesting because of the bassist and drummer. Nothing really original about them, IMO.
xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by mghiotti mghiotti wrote:

As a matter of fact, there's no such a huge correlation indeed. The point I wanted to make was that, and DT is just the first example popped into my mind, prog music is also Paatos, and most of all, prog music, since I consider it one of the highest form of expression in music history, should be "cleaned" and  "purified" a little bit as far as the terminology is concerned. DT, as well as Tool for instance are moving towards a genre which is not prog any more. As I said before, odd rhythms do not make mucis be called progressive.

I would like to give you a practical example of what I consider prog music in a broader sense: here in this web-site radiohead is considered as such and I couldn't be more in agreement with that, but also, to me, Miles Davis was a pioneer "sui generis" of such a genre.

Do yo agree with me?

I had an awesome 6 paragraph reply to this, but then the forum logged me off and I lost it all...

So I'm just gonna say this, which won't be anywhere near as convincing as the thing I just lost:

Music always changes. And "prog" music, as structured as many people sadly want to make it, always changes. Dream Theater was influenced by many, many artists, most of them prog. They listened to what they love, then put their own spin on it, and made it their own. They make it new. But it still carries characteristics of the classic stuff they grew up listening to. And people notice that. In fact, it's not the artist that makes something "progressive", it's the audience. The artist gets his influences and does his own thing with those influences. The audience is what makes it "prog", whether consciously or not. They are the ones who will listen to Yes because they like Genesis, or so on. And then they make the artist relevent. We sure don't hear about bands from the 70s whom nobody listened to, do we? Even if they would be considered much more progressive. It takes the audience to make the movement, it takes the audience to keep the music alive. Times change, and music changes. And with new bands and new movements, the boundaries of progressive rock expand, because the music has changed. If music stops changing, it dies. Every band would still be trying to be Yes or Genesis from the early 70s (which, in and of itself, wouldn't be a bad thing, but then nobody would listen to prog!!). Radiohead or Paatos are other examples. They are influenced by bands both inside and outside of "prog", and thus the boundaries grow wider, more inclusive. They progress. This, I think, is the greatest thing about prog rock: It's hard to categorize, because it means so many different things to so many different people. Well, I say, keep it that way. You want people to be open to new things, right? Well, if the network of prog was kept loose and kept expanding, then more people would be introduced to prog (as I was mostly through DT) and thus introduced to other types of prog through that increasingly large network.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 20:22

But it still carries characteristics of the classic stuff they grew up listening to.

And DT evidently grew up listening to a lot of Hard Rock/Metal and Arena Rock. I suppose it's a progressive enough idea to wed those styles to Prog, but it just seems odd to spend all that time polishing and ginning up the instrumental sections when you intersprse it with regular, everyday Rock.

Sure, it's probably that graspability that leads non-Prog people into listening to DT in the first place; it's kinda catchy and if you're a Metal head, It's kind of cool-sounding. But, nonetheless, it's still Progressive (in both the literal and in the genre-name sense) only in parts.
xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 20:47
^ I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make. I would've appreciated it more if you'd taken into consideration my entire reply instead of one isolated clause.

But I guess you're entitled to your viewpoint, so you can do whatever.
mghiotti View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 23:11

^ I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make. I would've appreciated it more if you'd taken into consideration my entire reply instead of one isolated clause.

Hi, well I do not know if you refer to me, but if so, I'd never say that DT are a bad band or unlistenable or even out of the "label". What I intended to stress was that it seems to me that, as they are most probably The prog band at the moment, due to their mediatic success, it's becoming natural to associate to them the official definition of prog band.
As you could teach me, there are many different subgenres, and this because this kind of music is naturally lending to be manifolded, this is its beauty I presume.
Your point is well clear to me, and I'm not trying to compare two completely diametrically different bands.
I was amazed by Images and Words and Awake, and in particular Metropolis is just thrilling and exciting as few others, but their last performances are too heavy metal to me. That's all.
xtopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 22:14
Originally posted by mghiotti mghiotti wrote:

Hi, well I do not know if you refer to me, but if so, I'd never say that DT are a bad band or unlistenable or even out of the "label". What I intended to stress was that it seems to me that, as they are most probably The prog band at the moment, due to their mediatic success, it's becoming natural to associate to them the official definition of prog band.
As you could teach me, there are many different subgenres, and this because this kind of music is naturally lending to be manifolded, this is its beauty I presume.
Your point is well clear to me, and I'm not trying to compare two completely diametrically different bands.
I was amazed by Images and Words and Awake, and in particular Metropolis is just thrilling and exciting as few others, but their last performances are too heavy metal to me. That's all.

I apologize; I wasn't really referring to you. You were just using Dream Theater as a reference. It was the other people in this thread who just felt they had to start using your DT reference to start bashing DT. That seemed kind of pointless in a thread entirely devoted to Paatos, and it seems like DT is just a big, easy target to use as an all-purpose "prog-scapegoat."

But you weren't doing that. You were just using DT as a measuring stick. I just wish it could've been left at that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12