Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed’Accessible’ - What does it mean in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 18:13
I'll go with James Lee on this one. If it can be played on your local FM station, it's accessible. We all know the situation, you want to introduce a band to one of your friends. So which album do you pick, the most accessible.
Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 18:52
The word accesible is a very relative word as one can see in the dictionary; it has many meanings. Therefore it is difficult to use it without some form of bias. When you say some music is accesible you're usually  making a preassumption about the general masses. It is difficult to make an assumption about an individual, but often times we feel we can define what the social conscience is. 
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 19:23
for me accesible in music is something catchy with good melodies and other things that people would easily enjoy. For inaccesible well . . . listen to RIO/avant-garde

Alagithil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 20:57
Originally posted by Poxx Poxx wrote:

Originally posted by Alagithil Alagithil wrote:

Jimi Hendrix for Brains over Heart? Huh? No, Hendrix is for Soul.

You resurrected a year old pointless thread with an incorrect statement.

That's cool.

I think this thread has plenty of point. It's a wide-ranging topic with plenty of conversation left in it.

If we weren't interestered in resurrecting old things, we wouldn't be at a prog site.

And I'd like some explanation of why my statement was incorrect; I think the emotion in Hendrix's playing was more important by far than his technical prowess.

So I guess I'm not cool after all...

As to accessible, it is very subjective. I for one, find Fragile to be one of the less accessible albums I own, mostly because of its crunchiness, a factor which makes it harder for me to listen to. Some, however, find it one of the most accessible prog albums. But subjectivity is generally not entirely personal. If I put out an album of me saying, "Grr," for 45 minutes, most people would make the subjective judgment that, say, any given Beatles album is better than it. But that point is about subjectivity, not accessibility.

Life is like an avantgarde play because tuna.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12