Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGhandi jumps head first into Krautrock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghandi jumps head first into Krautrock?
    Posted: June 02 2006 at 23:48

The story begins here. Perhaps I am giddy with the cheapness of eBay compared to new CDs of Amazon, but I found (from the same seller) Tago Mago, Future Days, Tanz der Lemminge, and Space Ritual--all for $5 or so before shipping (although the auction doesn't end for another 2 days, so that could go up a lot). However, if the price does not dramatically spike I am feeling the impulse to buy all of them. Future Days because everyone says it's so much more acessible than Tago Mago; Tago Mago because it has Oh Yeah, which was what got me into this situation and because it is praised very highly by people outside of PA; Tanz... because I've heard good things about Amon Duul II, especially with comparisions to space-rock and Floyd, which I like; and Space Ritual because it's an acclaimed album I've been trying to find some other good space-rock type stuff. But I should get some VdGG since I liked H to He so much. At least I think I did; I haven't had time to give it more than a few listens. And I was going to get some PFM too...All my monies are disappearing now! :-)

Is this a good idea? Am I just letting my impulsive/cheapskate side get the better of me?

As always, thanks for your help. You guys have been very helpful with some of the other CD picks.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - June 03 2006 at 00:00
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 00:09
Space Ritual is essential and you got nothing to loose really. Tago Mago and Tanz der lemminge are more on the crazy side (specially Tanz..) , but if you like your wierdness and psychedelichness here and there then I guess theres no problem Approve and more so if they are all 5$ each. Go for it!

A note of warning:
Don't loose hope on Kraurock if it doesn't work for you with those albums. There are plenty more good albums and they don't necessarily sound the same.

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 00:28
Psychadelic is cool, but it's hard for me to accept that there was much effort put into really avant-garde stuff and it's hard for me to listen to it because a lot of the time there is very little melody. For example, even though I like Ummagumma, I am not all that enamored with Several Small Species...I don't skip it, but I would have preferred it if it were a bit shorter.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 14:58
Well then I think that you'll have a little rough time with the first listens of Tanz der lemminge.I'm sure you'll enjoy it as time passes. Tago Mago and specially Space Ritual will be more accesible.

As I said earlier, for 5$ go for it.

walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 18:36
Hey Nick wats up? Anyway Im no krautrock expert so I cant comment on that stuff, but Space Ritual is absolutely amazing!!!
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 19:41

Thanks guys, I'm going to go for all of them. Since Tago Mago, Space Ritual and Tanz are all double albums, this is the most music I've ever bought at one time.Hurtrah for eBay; I've finally decided that I don't care if the album is sealed or not, as long as it plays well. I'll probably find Tanz weird, but I should be a bit more adventerous in my listening anyway. And at least I've actually heard them and really liked some of the things I've heard, unlike, say the 2 Tangerine Dream albums that I bought soley on recommendations. Maybe someday I'll have enough patience to listen to them...

Oh my gosh. I'm listening to Stumbling Over Melted Moonlight on Pandora.com. This is amazing!

Hey, Gentle Giant just came up. Now I know for sure that this is weird music. ;-)

Edited by Ghandi 2 - June 03 2006 at 19:58
 Post Reply Post Reply