Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed80's Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 15:57
I do happen to like The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star as well as Talking Heads - Psycho Killer.  I've never really dipped into the '80s yet.  I've got to try and avoid all the mainstream rubbish and try and find some decent stuff.

I am sure Peter Hammill's '80s output is faultless.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 16:15
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Trevor Horn was also involved with the Buggles and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, let's not forget...

The Buggles were fantastic, except for Video... and Clean Clean. Have you heard their albums at all? Their second one, Adventures in Modern Recording, is pretty much flawless in my ears.

And Frankie made some truly great singles, just not a great album. Two Tribes was one of the things that grudgingly made my little Prog snob self realise that maybe there was some good Pop after all. And on their debut album, the side-long opening track - featuring guitar from one Mr Steve Howe - is excellent Prog Pop.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 23:36

The early 80's was a bit of an explosion of music. There was all kinds of music and many smaller labels florished. Many artists from the 70's really came into their own in the 80's. There was little as far as actual classic prog but music was quite exciting. There was a lot of experimental music like The Art Of Noise, Philip Glass, This Mortal Coil, Cocteau Twins, Kronos Quartet, Danielle Dax and Laurie Anderson. There were many bands that put out quite exciting music. U2 put out some great music. Many might not remember or have been around but their sound was groundbreaking at the time. There was a kind of simplicity, yet it had passion.

It seems to me many of those who criticize 80's music as being boring were either listening to mainstream radio or oldies (50's, 60's and 70's).Either that, or they are too young to realize that many of these bands were unique and their influences can be heard in today's music, so it sounds mainstream by today's standards.  

Late 80's mainstream music was terrible and also tainted people's opinions about this decade. This was the beginning of the age of the music producer, like Stock, Aiken and Waterman. Many of their songs differ only in the singer. Because of advances in music production technology, things became formulaic and the producer had the power. Radio stations became more and more dependent on music programmers, rather than letting the d.j. have a say in what is being played.

There was just as much crap music in the 70's as in the 80's. Most of the music of the 80's was immortalized on video, so it's easier to forget the 70's mainstream pop music, the goofy fashions and silly hairstyles (although I admit hair got much more extreme in the 80's). After all, when you say 70's music, do you think Shaun Cassidy, The Carpenters, Abba and Barry Manilow? or do you think of Genesis, King Crimson and Jethro Tull or (insert band here) ?

Needless to say, there is a lot of great 80's music, only the closed minded would say otherwise. 

Edited by darren - June 06 2006 at 23:39
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 04:50
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Trevor Horn was also involved with the Buggles and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, let's not forget...

The Buggles were fantastic, except for Video... and Clean Clean. Have
you heard their albums at all? Their second one, Adventures in Modern
Recording, is pretty much flawless in my ears.

And Frankie made some truly great singles, just not a great album. Two
Tribes was one of the things that grudgingly made my little Prog snob
self realise that maybe there was some good Pop after all. And on their
debut album, the side-long opening track - featuring guitar from one Mr
Steve Howe - is excellent Prog Pop.

I've got the first Buggles album, and all of it is unlistenable slush - apart from "Video...", which is a great and fresh pop song - if a trifle overplayed.

Once bitten twice shy, I didn't get the 2nd, as I assumed it would be worse.

I love the Frankie singles - but it's Trevor Horn's production that makes them great. FGTH were less than mediochre songwriters, as much of the "Pleasuredome" album shows clearly.

Horn's production and arrangements were utterly masterful though, on this occasion.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:17
I am one of the 80's haters, and I blame most of the bad music on the MTV phenomenon. I hit the 80's when I was 17 and I was no social recluse, but I refused the pop music happening. I actually had enjoyed some punk in the late 70's. but when post punk, new wave and other musical currents happened, I was really disgusted

The best "mainstream or radio friendly" 80's bands were actually 70's bands (Police, U2 etc..) and most of my disliking of that decade comes from new wave (mainly) , but the Funk Scene as well AND the Hair (Glam) Metal Dead from those years >> BTW NWOBHMB did not do much for me either (outside laiden, I enjoyed NONE)

Naturally, the (relative) poorness (as opposed to other prog genre) of Neo-prog has not helped matters either.

But as classic prog had died, Jazz-rock was definitely running out of steam (and was often heading towaeds later ECM jazz and closer to elevator music), New Age etc..., not much was there for me to like

So I went on to discover the 60's in jazz and rock, but it did not stop me fgrom listening to weird bands like Bahaus or Killing Joke I would not say I liked these bands, but they did offer something other than crappy commercial stuff. Not enough for me to have a good opinion of that decade, though!

However had I known of Univers Zero and Present (their core works happened in the 80's) back then, I would've appreciated that decade better. But there was no acces to that music either.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:43

I've got the first Buggles album, and all of it is unlistenable slush - apart from "Video...", which is a great and fresh pop song - if a trifle overplayed.

Once bitten twice shy, I didn't get the 2nd, as I assumed it would be worse.

Well, if you hate pretty much all of The Plastic Age, I guess 'twouldn't be yer cup o' tea. But I find The Plastic Age, Astroboy (and the Proles on Parade), Johnny on the Monorail and especially I Love You (Miss Robot) to be better Pop songs than Video...

Either way, I'm pretty certain you too would find Adventures... a better album, question is if it's better enough to you to make it worth the effort and outlay.

I love the Frankie singles - but it's Trevor Horn's production that makes them great. FGTH were less than mediochre songwriters, as much of the "Pleasuredome" album shows clearly. .
Oh, indubitably. Sides one and two of the vinyl were the only thing that really held up, and even then just barely.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I am one of the 80's haters, and I blame most of the bad music on the MTV phenomenon.
Then again, almost none of the really good music of the decade was played on MTV, so...

Edited by Teaflax - June 07 2006 at 08:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 09:47
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

I am one of the 80's haters, and I blame most of the bad music on the MTV phenomenon.

Then again, almost none of the really good music of the decade was played on MTV, so...
LOL

Fully agreed

but since radio followed suit to MTV, the better 80's stuff never got exposure until internet exploded and the re-issues on Cd happened >> the 80's probably have lotsa "hidden treasures" still buried somewhere by completely unknown but worthy artistes

However since I hate the way they played drums in that decade, I am always a little wary of records from that decade >> old tricks from old dogsWink

Hence my discovery of some good 80's prog (but in RIO), but in the last ten years.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 07 2006 at 09:48
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:11
Radio has always been mostly crap, though. I never really understood people who used that as a way of discovering and following music. For me it was always having a few friends who were music nuts and lots of mix-tape trading.

I can't recall ever having found a new artist via radio, and precious few via some music shows on TV (in fact, European MTV used to have slightly more adventurous bent during the first few years and would occasionally show something that wasn't blanded down).
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 13:50
Theres nothing worst than an electronic ´80 drum...oh...its just so anoying... I mean... Duran Duran...how can you tolarate that?...and the worst thing is that now in Argentina there is a certain retro ´80 thing going on...well, everywhere...I mean this new bands like the Killers sound so crapy...so ´80...

But there were some good stuff...Iron Maiden and Metallica specially
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 22:21

The best "mainstream or radio friendly" 80's bands were actually 70's bands (Police, U2 etc..) and most of my disliking of that decade comes from new wave (mainly) , but the Funk Scene as well AND the Hair (Glam) Metal Dead from those years >> BTW NWOBHMB did not do much for me either (outside laiden, I enjoyed NONE)

Just wondering, you say they were "actually 70's bands". Their music that was released in the 80's, doesn't that qualify as 80's music?

Also, exactly how is U2 a 70's band. Seriously, I'd like to know.

Edited by darren - June 07 2006 at 22:42
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 23:33

The Police rule! Approve

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 02:56
Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

The best "mainstream or radio friendly" 80's bands were actually a 70's bands (Police, U2 etc..) and most of my disliking of that decade comes from new wave (mainly) , but the Funk Scene as well AND the Hair (Glam) Metal Dead from those years >> BTW NWOBHMB did not do much for me either (outside laiden, I enjoyed NONE)

Just wondering, you say they were "actually a 70's bands". Their music that was released in the 80's, doesn't that qualify as 80's music?

the group's first releases were in the 70's (not that sure for U2, though, but ) is what I meant

Dire Straits >> 70's band
Police >> 70's band
The Jam >> 70's band
etc...

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:43
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Theres nothing worst than an electronic ´80 drum...oh...its just so anoying... I mean... Duran Duran...how can you tolarate that?...and the worst thing is that now in Argentina there is a certain retro ´80 thing going on...well, everywhere...I mean this new bands like the Killers sound so crapy...so ´80...But there were some good stuff...Iron Maiden and Metallica specially

I agree that the 80's drum sound is spectacularly naff - but Duran Duran and a very few others built a great sound around that naffness, IMO.

If you listen to the music instead of being distracted by the drum sounds, Duran Duran were talented musicians - as their side projects also verify.

I defy you to listen to "Wild Boys", "Planet Earth" or "Girls on Film" and not admit that there's something really imaginative about the music and composition - whether you like it or not.

If you still don't like it, watch the full-length video for "Girls on Film". Then you'll like it   

Such a pity that Metallica turned crap in the 1990s - as you say, they were outstanding in the 1980s. Anyone who was not into metal at the time missed out on the really good stuff, IMO.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:50
FWIW, I think the best Duran Duran album is Notorious. Even better is the album made by the 3/4 of Duran Duran at the time; Arcadia's So Red the Rose.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:54
I remember Tears for Fears. I saw a solo album by the guy Orzabel (or something like that ) on sale. Has anyone heard it? I heard it was quite experimental.
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 20:11
My wife hates the 80's as a decade for music, but that logic is so wrong, I don't know where to start the argument. I mean, the bands that either started or came really to the fore in that decade include Prince, U2, REM, Costello and many others of integrity and talent. It is too easy to dismiss a whole decade because of a few Kajagoogoos in the mix. The 70's were thought of in that way for awhile. I think, the more distance you get from the decade, the more the actual good music stays with you and reminds you of what was good at that time. The bad stuff just becomes fun because of it's innate crappiness.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 20:12
And, I DO consider bands like U2 80's bands, even though their start may have been in the late 70's..I think it depends on which decade they are really identified with, and that is usually the decade in which they were the most popular or really seemed new...Police also fall in that area for me.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 20:16
Should have looked over the thread before I answered myself twice! Teaflex, great list and should be enough to show anyone what great music, amidst the crap, that filled the 80's. And, great post as well, Daren.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 01:09

Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

The best "mainstream or radio friendly" 80's bands were actually a 70's bands (Police, U2 etc..) and most of my disliking of that decade comes from new wave (mainly) , but the Funk Scene as well AND the Hair (Glam) Metal Dead from those years >> BTW NWOBHMB did not do much for me either (outside laiden, I enjoyed NONE)

Just wondering, you say they were "actually a 70's bands". Their music that was released in the 80's, doesn't that qualify as 80's music?

the group's first releases were in the 70's (not that sure for U2, though, but ) is what I meant

Dire Straits >> 70's band
Police >> 70's band
The Jam >> 70's band
etc...

yes but Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost In The Machine, Synchronicity >> 80's music. I'd even make the arguement that Regatta de Blanc would qualify, since it was released late in '79 and didn't catch on in many areas outside of the UK until the next year.

This is what I was meant. The music itself is 80's music, as it was realeased in the 80's.
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>