FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGwynbleidd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gwynbleidd
    Posted: June 05 2006 at 20:31
I've currently listening to some excerpts by this New York prog-metal/folk band and I'm really liking what I hear.  I wondered if anyone was familiar with them?

They have an EP out today (6th June) with 4 tracks on and I thought anyone who likes Scandinavian music and bands like Opeth would really enjoy it (judging by the excerpts that is).  They have a heavy side and also a very nice folky side.  Their heavier side features growls, so you have been warned.

I especially think MikeEnRegalia should check them out.  If you do, let me know what you think!

Here is the link:

http://www.myspace.com/gwynbleidd

I'm not sure how easy it will be to buy the EP, mind you.
sfarog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 14:27
Hello,

thanks for picking up Amaranthine EP, hopefully you've found the process to be rather painless?

Smile

m.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 15:05
Folk/prog metal you say? Where can I get it?Big smile
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by sfarog sfarog wrote:

Hello,

thanks for picking up Amaranthine EP, hopefully you've found the process to be rather painless?

Smile

m.

I did, thanks for being quick with your order, much appreciated.

However, I do want to make a suggestion (it's a nice one, don't worry!): register the band on last.fm

The tracks don't appear on their when I play the album, so I think the band needs to be added and I thought it'd be better for one of the members of the band to do it, rather than myself.

Keep up the good work.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 15:09
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Folk/prog metal you say? Where can I get it?Big smile

You can obtain it via the band on Myspace, using Paypal and due to Myspace policy, postage is free of charge.

Oh and it's $10 I believe.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 15:26
Sounds interesting!

This could definately be getting future plays. It is quite impressive considering this is only an EP. They do have apparent influences, but I don't see this as a bad thing. They have incorporated interesting influences into their music, which possess a certain captivation. Listening to these songs I find much more pleasure in the folkish sections, but I guess that is just my tastes.

My friend is definately going to be wanting to hear about these guys.

I'm looking forward to see what these guys can do in the future, I can see there is a lot of potential.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 16:05
Oh, I didn't know you'd made a purchase of this EP!  Good stuff.

Yes, the folk sections are rather nice.  The only downside for me are the vocals.  Such beautiful music, yet such harsh vocals... maybe I'll get used to it.  Agalloch has the same problem for me too.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 16:09
Just give the vocals sometime. They will be some that grow on you. Over time you will see they are not only a tool for the expression of anger, hatred and agression that most people seem to think they are. There are so many more emotions the can express, beauty is one of them for me. But I am always going to rather biased when talk upon this point as I have done some vocal work for a death metal band.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 16:13
Well I love Opeth, so it's not growls that are the issue in all cases.  The style of the growls are somewhat different to Opeth, so that's why I need to get used to them.  I shall give the album further listens.
sfarog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

...register the band on last.fm...

working on it, thank's for pointing out a great site. Keep 'em coming

m.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by sfarog sfarog wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

...register the band on last.fm...

working on it, thank's for pointing out a great site. Keep 'em coming

m.

I'm assuming this is Maciej? I just wanted to ask which country/beliefs do you find your taking your folk influences from? I see you have write down Celtic on your site, but I find it tending more towards to Mevdieval side of things as you stated, giving the band quite a scandinavian sound to the music. So I was wondering whether there are any countries in paricular you drawn your resources from?

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 18:56
OMG... You guys have polish names!!!Big smile
sfarog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 19:37
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

I'm assuming this is Maciej? I just wanted to ask which country/beliefs do you find your taking your folk influences from? I see you have write down Celtic on your site, but I find it tending more towards to Mevdieval side of things as you stated, giving the band quite a scandinavian sound to the music. So I was wondering whether there are any countries in paricular you drawn your resources from?

right now we're working on finishing up the arrangements for the first full length album. We basically have all the material (main guitars/drums) done, just have to work on bass/vox and additional detail and we'll be ready to record sometime late this year (hopefully.. if we either manage to sell some cds or pick up a label who'd dole out cash for the recording session)

As to the folk influences, we'll look to explore various early medieval sources in the subsequent material.. I dont think we're specifically narrowing our influences as to that, but generally it is central european/scandinavian/celtic/slavic music that will influence us most. Its uncharted territory for us still, "Awakening" and "Lure of the Land" are just tastes of this might look like in the future. Of course at the same time we'll try to refine the heavy side of things further. We have some stylistical elements we'd like to work on that would make the distorted parts more defined, more aggressive and yet still complex and hopefully catchy ;)

We're green.. just getting started! I believe everything is ahead of us, and we have lots to learn and evolve still. 

Edited by sfarog - July 04 2006 at 19:42
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 20:28
Thank you for the detailed response.

It is good to see the new album is coming on nicely. Just another question I would be interested in, what sort of manipulation, if any to do with the vocals? (both clean and distorted) I have a keen interest in this facit, considering I have had a little experience in the vocal side of metal. Unfortunately I never did any recording or studio time, so everything was done with very lo-fi live equipment we could gather together at the time.

Wouldn't it be good if "The End Records" took an interest in your guys work (I saw them befriended on your myspace page). I think the sound would suit the label quite well, so I guess all I can do is wish you luck with that side of business.

I was asking about the folk influences as I do find that side of folk music very interesting. Also I noticed from your names they don't sound overly American and was wondering whether your heritage was playing an integral part in the ideals behind the music.
sfarog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 22:03
as to The End Records, I like the label very much, I like the spirit of what this label represents. I can't really talk about whether they would be a good fit for us, because we dont have any offers from them.

regarding the vox, I'm not an expert on whatever was done during mixing, but in general there isn't much going on aside from some compression, eq, delays, etc.

heritage may have something to do with how we approach music in general, what kinds of music interests us.. but it wouldnt point specifically to folk

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 10:53
Thanks for the explanations, Maciej.  I also wish you luck at getting signed, as you guys definitely deserve it.  I'm sure someone will notice you soon enough and be able to help you with getting more coverage.

One piece of advice: don't change too much and try not to go too commercial.  I know it is tempting to do so, but you should also keep your musical integrity.

I look forward to hearing your album when it's completed.

Oh and congratulations on your EP reaching both England (myself) and Australia (Black Velvet)!
 Post Reply Post Reply