Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohann Sebastian Bach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 22:03
I own a recording of Bach's Musical Offering performed by Ensemble Sonnerie (Virgin, 1996), which has a "20th century" sound and feel to it that's downright spooky. I mean, it sounds as if a 20th century composer was trying to write baroque music with a 20th century mindset.  Or something.  Quite possibly my most amazing Bach disc.

The Pinnock Brandenburgs on original instruments and Gould's Goldbergs are pretty damn amazing too. And of couse there are those marvelous guitar transcriptions.

Funny, I never associated Bach with Cream in any way, and I own most of Cream's recorded output.
So much music. So little time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 22:08
Originally posted by arnold stirrup arnold stirrup wrote:

Funny, I never associated Bach with Cream in any way, and I own most of Cream's recorded output.

well if you're listening for a quotation of the B.C's you won't hear it... listen to his style.. that IS influenced by Bach.  Many  knowledgeable people will tell you that what REALLY makes Crossroads the immortal classic that it is.. is not as much Clapton's solo but Bruce's counterpoint underneath him with the bass.  Great guitar solos abound... Bruce's Bach influenced basslines took that song to 'immortal' status.  Take a closer listen...you'll hear it.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 22:14
Did Jon Lord play something related to/inspired by Bach in his solo albums? I think he did...
arnold stirrup View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by arnold stirrup arnold stirrup wrote:

well if you're listening for a quotation of the B.C's you won't hear it... listen to his style.. that IS influenced by Bach.  Many  knowledgeable people will tell you that what REALLY makes Crossroads the immortal classic that it is.. is not as much Clapton's solo but Bruce's counterpoint underneath him with the bass.  Great guitar solos abound... Bruce's Bach influenced basslines took that song to 'immortal' status.  Take a closer listen...you'll hear it.

Thanks micky, now I know what I'll be listening to on the drive to work tomorrow. Thumbs Up
So much music. So little time.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 19:43
Originally posted by Rosescar Rosescar wrote:

Nobody has mentioned "Horizons" yet?! By Genesis on Foxtrot, Hackett plays Bach's first Cello suite.

Well... not quite! It's obviously inspired, but it only really uses the same ideas in one or two places, most obviously the opening bars. It's Hackett's composition, and despite the obvious inspiration it's changed both to fit the guitar and to sound a little more modern and only really touches the same parts in one or two places. I did try playing Horizons on 'cello a while back, but I never got very far. I might dig it out again some time, though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123