Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLyrics in ProgArchives.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lyrics in ProgArchives.
    Posted: June 08 2006 at 01:16
The idea of uploading song lyrics has been popular and utilised on various other websites and is nothing original, but why not make PA an accurate source for song lyrics as well?

I just had this idea, that there would be a special amount of people who would listen to music while reading the lyrics and either type them up when they are in the booklet, or finding them on the internet and checking them to make sure every little nuance is precisely correct.

For example, today I searched for In The Woods...'s I am Your Flesh lyrics and all of the links I found had totally incorrect lyrics except for this one - http://www.lyricsdir.com/in-the-woods-i-am-your-flesh-lyrics.html If we had just implemented this feature on PA, there would be no such problems, and perhaps some people would even come here to read the lyrics.

So, how about it?

-- Ivan
sig
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 02:46
If I may answer this as the writer of this site's legal notice (but not the owner's opinion either),  lyrics are intellectual properties and it would request the owner's approval. Something rather hard to achieve and risky for legal reasons

and if they are under an electronic form, it is likely to be on the band's site.

If not prtesent on their own site, we can therefore safely assume that they haveno wish to (or lack the dive to) have them printed
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 01:56

How about providing links to other pages with lyrics? For example, I would like to share this, but I'm not sure which would be a proper forum.

There's HAIKARA's 1st album's lyrics translated to English! Smile

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää - June 11 2006 at 01:56
Viajero Astral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 01:37
its a good idea, but dificult to show all the lyrics of all the bands listened in PA
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 04:46
Also sometimes lyrics are pretty hard to understand, and sometimes the lyrics are not even accurate on the band's official homepage. E.g.: The lyrics to "High Rise" on the homepage of Hawkwind; there is a line given as "caged-up rage, swarming all the time", but Robert Calvert clearly sings "caged-up rage, swarming hornet hive". He had an obsession with insect swarms, especially hornets; references to them appear in many of his songs. The homepage does not seem to be maintenanced by the band itsellf; the lyrics to the song "The War I Survived" are, for example, missing. Trying to look up these lyrics leads to very interesting results, as there seems to be a lot of guesswork what Brock is actually singing on this track; the first few verses are usually marked "???", and about the only thing everyone agrees about are the words "Slaughterhouse 5" (a reference to the novel by Kurt Vonnegut).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 04:53
http://perso.club-internet.fr/calyx/

This site can take care of a lot of group's Lear Ricks
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer