Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help on latter-day Hammill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help on latter-day Hammill
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 07:46
The last Peter Hammill release I bought was Out of Water - I really didn't like it that much (nor the 2 or 3 albums thar preceded it) and I never bothered buying any more after that. However, I get the impression that he may have subsequently undergone a return to form, so if there is anyone out there who has some PH recommendations from the nineties and the noughties, then they'd be very much appreciated!!!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 07:54
Since the tirn of the century, I would say that Hammill's best works is Incoherence.

Personally I would not judge from the average ratings on the archives on his later career, but check out Gnosis2000 http://www.gnosis2000.net/ in order to get a better perspective of his career

Edited by Sean Trane - June 17 2006 at 08:29
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 08:01
Try "Roaring Forties"; Hammill in top form. The albums you refer to are probably "In a Foreign Town" and "Out of Water"; Hammill experimented with certain kind of synth sounds on them, but they made his music sound a little anaemic. The compositions and lyrics are as good as ever though, as can be heard in the live versions of some songs (just listen to "Something about Ysabel's Dance" on the live album "Room Temperature"). "Roaring Forties" is excellent and even has a VdGG feeling to it.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 08:03
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Try "Roaring Forties"; Hammill in top form. The albums you refer to are probably "In a Foreign Town" and "Out of Water"; Hammill experimented with certain kind of synth sounds on them, but they made his music sound a little anaemic. The compositions and lyrics are as good as ever though, as can be heard in the live versions of some songs (just listen to "Something about Ysabel's Dance" on the live album "Room Temperature"). "Roaring Forties" is excellent and even has a VdGG feeling to it.

How can you live with the awful drumming of this album?Cry
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 08:08
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

How can you live with the awful drumming of this album?Cry

I don't consider the drumming to be awful. Manny Elias' style of drumming is different from Guy Evan's, but I kind of like it.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 08:25
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do not see much difference between the drumming of Elias in Roaring Forties than the drulm machine on Fireship

Maybe for me Hammill's voice has become undissociable from Evans' drummingWink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 08:31
NO! Hammill is in top form again from This onwards.Culminanting with a shocking Incoherence and a Veracious of scales beyond imagination...

(BTW Out Of Water isn't that bad)
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:09
Can't listen to Roaring Forties either.

I love Clutch from 2002. Acoustic, but not tame at all. No embarrassing drums, or synth sounds. Very pleasant production, great melodies. Better than VdGG's Present imo.  

Edited by Rocktopus - June 17 2006 at 10:09
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:14
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Can't listen to Roaring Forties either.

I love Clutch from 2002. Acoustic, but not tame at all. No embarrassing drums, or synth sounds. Very pleasant production, great melodies. Better than VdGG's Present imo.  

Clutch is a beautiful album.Old-fashioned.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 14:21
I drifted a bit from his later albums like 'This' and 'Everyone You Hold', but from what I've heard of 'Incoherence' it sounds like a real return to form. 'Clutch' was a very good album too. I felt the best of these latter day albums were 'Out Of Water' (which I felt was excellent), 'Roaring Forties' and best of all, 'Room Temperature Live'. 'Out Of Water' features some of his very best songs- 'A Way Out' (what a superb song!), 'Not The Man', 'No Moon In The Water', 'Isobel's Dance' and 'Our Oyster'. The production I don't find quite as irksome as it is on 'In A Foreign Town', and imo the songs are far better. Hammill himself in an article I have called 'Foreign Town' (as far as I recall) '...the one everyone has problems with' and 'Out Of Water' one of his personal best.

'Room Temperature' is one of THE great live albums imo- an ode to simplicity and letting the songs speak for themselves. Tracks from all over his solo career are played wonderfully and shorn of dated production effects. 'A Way Out' and 'Hemlock' came off particularly well.

'Roaring Forties' was a rockier album than most of his latter day work- a very good epic in 'Headlong Stretch'.

I was a bit disappointed with 'Present' the VDGG reformation- perhaps I expected far too much, but I didn't like the shoddiness that imo tracks like 'Bolea's Panic' and 'Abandon Ship!' had. Some may love these songs for the ramshackle sound they had, but I personally did not.
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 20:02

X My Heart is an excellent album. And Clutch. And Incoherence.

Post Reply Post Reply