Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlague of Lighthouse Keepers "click "

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 18:45
As some people said H to He is more accessible then Pawn Hearts, imo that is.

Geck0, BaldFriede and Sean Trane, are you all talking about the same dvd ???? If that is so, i will have to get it, haven't I ?

About the rating, before I would have given it 4.5,  now a full 5 !
pepo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 18:50

Pawn Hearts is the best album ever only if you are VDGG fan. Otherwise you might hate it because it tends to be very unstable yet is mellow enought to dig it in a few listens.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 19:21
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I listened to "The Least We Can Do" again last night, and it was definitely growing on me. Then, with some help from a friend, I was able to find a copy of "H to the He." I have listened to it twice now, and ...

click, click, click, click, click, click

It's really good! I am actually listening to "Godbluff" right now, and that's working too. Strange how that happens. I was almost at the point where I thought VDGG would forever be on my "just don't get it" list." I will, however, take some time to absorb it all, before discussing the merits of the music.

Thanks for the help everyone.

look forward to hearing what you have to say...I have my own thoughts about them as well hahahah.  Glad you found a copy and liked it  *micky's hat size grows another notch hahah*  I loved that album from the first listen.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 19:32
Glad to have been of assistance, bhikku.

Tony: Yes, we are all talking about the same DVD.  I think you can get it on Amazon, so have a check.  But be careful, as there is a recent DVD that was released and it's not worth buying, so I just thought I'd warn you about that.  If you need assistance, let me know!  Happy hunting my friend.

Having said that... you can view the performance of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers in three parts on youtube.  Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9DouGSXW8&search=Van%20der%20Graaf - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duTwxgxndJQ&search=Van%20der%20Graaf - part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1wfmTiA94&search=Van%20der%20Graaf - part 3

Enjoy!
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 23:41
If it wasn't for A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, I may have not given these guys much chance. Once I had heard about these guys, I purchased Godbluff, H to He, and Pawn Hearts.
 I 1st played H to He and thought it was okay, but nothing special. Hammill sounded a little like Bowie to me. After that I placed in GodBluff and couldn't make sense at the cacophony of noise I had just heard. Finally I played Pawn Hearts and I felt a tad bored with the 1st two songs and when A Plague...came on, I was totally blown away.
Now I think all 3 lps are great( as well as all of their other studio releases.), although I had to listen to Godbluff about 20 or so times before it really sunk in. 
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 23:51
Actually, Godbluff is probably the least played of my collection (not because I dislike it), because it was one of the last albums I purchased.  It's the album I am least familiar with, along with World Record and The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome.

I still need to give Godbluff more spins for me to really take notice of the lyrics (always the last bit to click with me for most bands).
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 00:24
I used to feel the same way about Lemmings until a couple of weeks ago whenis finally clicked for me.Big smile
Jmoog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Bhikku, if you can, try and follow the lyrics, as they are an important part of what VdGG are about.If you don't have the lyrics to hand, then visit Peter Hammill's website: www.sofasound.comIt does seem odd though that H to He clicks for you more than The least we can do...Keep it up and you'll be loving them as much as me!

Thanks. I actually just got back from the music store, where I found the remastered edition of "H to He." I at least now have the lyrics for that. The other albums I have were downloads, so the website will help. Although, I was picking up on them well enough to get a good idea. I was a bit surprised as well, becuase I do see how "The Least We Can Do" would be more accessible. For some reason, "Killer" just hit me. I was enjoying the rest, and then "Pioneers Over C" just blew me away.

If you have bought the remastered version of "H To He" then listen to "Squid1/Squid2/Octopus" and let me know what you think of it. I think it is perhaps the best VDGG performance EVER!
I Adore Mellotrons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123