Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProggy Videogame Music???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
_sam_ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proggy Videogame Music???
    Posted: June 22 2006 at 17:03
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

Originally posted by Progdrummer05 Progdrummer05 wrote:

Me and my band mates always say that the guitar/keyboard duet in the middle of Metropolis pt. 1 from DT always reminds us of Sonic the Hedgehog music

LOL Cool !! I'll go to put that videogame again, just to notice that. I LOVE the Sonic's videogames, specially the ones of Sega Genesis. I have Sonic I, II, II and "Sonic & Knukles". AMAZING !!

SONIC RULES !! Clap

Nah, Tails is way cooler. Tongue

_

I have a burned copy of the Movements of the Odyssey. Awesome!

Edited by _sam_ - June 22 2006 at 17:07
Viajero Astral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 12:17
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Originally posted by Pokeyasd Pokeyasd wrote:

I've known about Metroid Metal since 2003 (video game music is all I listened to before I found about prog) :)
The Metroid covers are pretty good in my opinion, but unfortunately the Super Metroid and Metroid Prime songs don't click me the same way... And even though the Metroid songs are good they aren't even near the Super Metroid medley which is done by a totally different artist which I linked earlier :)

It's funny you should say that because I've been listening to video game music for about 6 years before discovering prog. I think that may have helped. Videogame music is almost always prog.

The RPGs have often the best soundtracks.

I also like the humorous soundtracks of Earthworm Jim and of Conker's bad fur day. Both are Thumbs Up

Indeed, there's something in common with Prog music. I always liked the video games music, and the first time when I listen Dream Theater sound like Megaman to me Tongue.

The Castlevania soundtrack is one of my favourites, and the one of Zelda is great to.
Pokeyasd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:32
Originally posted by Jeff Schu Jeff Schu wrote:

I also remember hearing tunes from the original Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) game performed by an Orchestra (I forget what Orchestra) and it sounded magnificient!!! It was a long time ago and I don't use filesharing networks anymore so I'm unsure where to find them.

There are a lot of Dragon Quest Symphonic Suite albums out there. Some of the older ones are out of print but the newer ones can easily purchased from most stores which sell video game music albums.

I'm just dying to hear a really rockin' version of a song from the classic racing game Outrun titled Splash Wave (I picture it kinda sounding like Joe Satriani).

xoc - 80.3
Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 22:36

I'd love to hear some Prog-Metal renditions of Castlevania music though

I recommend you to try these:

Dracula Battle I & Dracula Battle II

Also you should try goat's Unchosen Paths. I really, really recommend the first two songs since they are epic medleys which contain alot of classic Castlevania tunes.

And yeah, RPG's tend to have really good soundtracks but still I believe that my I will always love most the music from Castlevania and Mega Man games :)

Word up man... you rule!!! I  also remember hearing tunes from the original Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) game performed by an Orchestra (I forget what Orchestra) and it sounded magnificient!!! It was a long time ago and I don't use filesharing networks anymore so I'm unsure where to find them.

Yeah the Megaman series has great tracks as well. I'm just dying to hear a really rockin' version of a song from the classic racing game Outrun titled Splash Wave (I picture it kinda sounding like Joe Satriani).
Pokeyasd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 17:43

I'd love to hear some Prog-Metal renditions of Castlevania music though

I recommend you to try these:

Dracula Battle I & Dracula Battle II

Also you should try goat's Unchosen Paths. I really, really recommend the first two songs since they are epic medleys which contain alot of classic Castlevania tunes.

And yeah, RPG's tend to have really good soundtracks but still I believe that my I will always love most the music from Castlevania and Mega Man games :)

Edited by Pokeyasd - June 21 2006 at 17:45
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:53

I've known about Metroid Metal since 2003 (video game music is all I listened to before I found about prog) :)
The Metroid covers are pretty good in my opinion, but unfortunately the Super Metroid and Metroid Prime songs don't click me the same way... And even though the Metroid songs are good they aren't even near the Super Metroid medley which is done by a totally different artist which I linked earlier :)

It's funny you should say that because I've been listening to video game music for about 6 years before discovering prog. I think that may have helped. Videogame music is almost always prog.

The RPGs have often the best soundtracks.

I also like the humorous soundtracks of Earthworm Jim and of Conker's bad fur day. Both are Thumbs Up

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:51

Originally posted by OrionCrystalIce OrionCrystalIce wrote:

The 'Super Metroid' music is, IMO, some of the best ever, and is very proggy in places..

Everyone downloads: A prog-metal epic which contains every track from Super Metroid

This is truly great! Clap

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:47

Yeah, I've known about for a while too (I forget how I found it though)... I just listened to the Super Metroid medley and it was quite good. Alot of the music from the original Metroid reminds me of King Crimson for some reason.

I'd love to hear some Prog-Metal renditions of Castlevania music though.
Pokeyasd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:25
Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:08

The 'Super Metroid' music is, IMO, some of the best ever, and is very proggy in places..

Everyone downloads: A prog-metal epic which contains every track from Super Metroid

I don't think I've heard this before... Have you checked this site out before at all???

Edited by Jeff Schu - June 21 2006 at 15:09
Pokeyasd View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 13:36

OrionCrystalIce View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 13:13

The 'Prime' Metroid games' music follow suit but aren't *quite* as mindblowing..

Did I mention SM is also my favorite game of all time? Big smile

A really obscure game that had some cool proggish themes was this game for the NES called 'Solar Jetman'...

Will probably be able to think of more later.

I always for some reason found the FF music, although good, to be pretty predictable and even really conventional...
black star, white light

Notch View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 13:04
Originally posted by Notch Notch wrote:

Incubus, not usually a prog band, contributed a 28 minute piece called 'The Odyssey' which was split into 4 movements on the Halo 2 soundtrack. The third movement contains a sped-up cover of 'On the Run'.

My mistake, the 'On the Run' cover is about 3:45 into the fourth movement of The Odyssey.
crowie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 10:36
Final Fantasy. Great music - great game. Awesome
int_2375 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 06:52

Anything done by Yasunori Mitsuda.  The Chrono Trigger soundtrack is my favorite.

Jeff Schu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 00:58
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

You can find about any video game music here on this really cool website. Wink

www.vgmusic.com

I didn't know this site was around. Talk about flashback central LOL ... It's a shame they don't have the original music though. (God I'm such a dork)
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by Notch Notch wrote:

Incubus, not usually a prog band, contributed a 28 minute piece called 'The Odyssey' which was split into 4 movements on the Halo 2 soundtrack. The third movement contains a sped-up cover of 'On the Run'. This is in fact one of my favourite pieces of prog, and is definately worth a listen if you can get hold of the soundtrack (volume 1) to Halo 2. The piece doesn't feature on the actual game, as far as I know, only the soundtrack.

Yay Incubus! I didnt know they covered "On the Run" though

Edited by heyitsthatguy - June 20 2006 at 23:34

Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 20:46
Originally posted by Progdrummer05 Progdrummer05 wrote:

Me and my band mates always say that the guitar/keyboard duet in the middle of Metropolis pt. 1 from DT always reminds us of Sonic the Hedgehog music

LOL Cool !! I'll go to put that videogame again, just to notice that. I LOVE the Sonic's videogames, specially the ones of Sega Genesis. I have Sonic I, II, II and "Sonic & Knukles". AMAZING !!

SONIC RULES !! Clap

Notch View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 20:22
Incubus, not usually a prog band, contributed a 28 minute piece called 'The Odyssey' which was split into 4 movements on the Halo 2 soundtrack. The third movement contains a sped-up cover of 'On the Run'. This is in fact one of my favourite pieces of prog, and is definately worth a listen if you can get hold of the soundtrack (volume 1) to Halo 2. The piece doesn't feature on the actual game, as far as I know, only the soundtrack.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 19:16

Halo 1's music is incredible, and I think it's proggy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>