Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tour de France
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 04:56
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

More like "Tour de Farce" than "Tour de France".

LOL

Sadly so!Cry

Wink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 03:09
More like "Tour de Farce" than "Tour de France".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 03:05
Unfortunately Perreiro does not really deserve it, either. I mean the man received a 29 min bonus.

But once in position, he did put a fight for itThumbs Up
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 21:19
what a shame... great for Pereiro if Landis is poisoned...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 10:50
Now it appears that the testosterone found in the A sample was synthetic.  Landis will have a hard time explaining this one away.  I was actually ready to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a natural physiologic phenomenon, but this seems to kill that explanation.

Guess we'll still wait to see what B sample reveals...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 05:12
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Now Landis in a doping scandal.  Is there any credibility left in this sport?  Confused

Thing is that Cycling is THE ONLY sport trying to eradicate the cheaters. Every runner gets tested some ten to twelve times a year , much more if he wins regularly!!

My question is, why take drugs when you know a test is coming?  It's not like in baseball when the drug policies were a joke and they all could take steroids with little fear of getting caught (until now).

The fact is that this Testosterone is one of those doping scheme from the 80's that is to be detected in urines. Urine testing is still in place but has been definitely over-shadowed by blood sampling (since those 80's drugs became undetectable via urine). So athletes have a tendency to go back to doping schemes that have less chances to be detected >> always a gamble

So my guess is landis took that before the stage and he gad no idea of how the stage would go. If he had managed to come in a small group, he probably would've let another win the stage (and the urine sample)

Another possibility is that he was hoping this would be played down or allowed to go through (as it was for so many years under the Armstrong reign). The temptation is pretty big when you know that you lost anyway and this was your only chance at ever winning the TDF.

The solution is certainly not making the TDF less tough , though >> I mean this race is easier than the Giro or the Vuelta. The geography of France is much less mountainous than Italy or Spain, so the mountain is always stuck in the third week >> you get mountain stages in the first week of the Vuelta or Giro .

The big difference is everyone want to win the TDF (not the case of many riders >>> see Armstrong, Indurrain or Lemond).

The solution appears to me is to diminish the prize money so runners will not want to ruin their health/lives for pity money. But this is limited since the sponsors are the ones bringing the dough and the TV exposure is what interest them .

Nowadays everyone knows the Festina Watches, everyone knows of the Phonak Hearing Aids >>> $£€Dead

Another solution is to go back to 80's distance of time trials : 3Km prologue, 20 Km team trial, and two much shorter (max 30 Km) indiv time trial >>>> (now it is 8km + 60Km +50 Km +50 Km >> this allows for too big a difference) >>> problem is again that the equipment companies are pushing for long time trials because of business >>> special time trials equipment do make differences , where in the mountains, the athletes does , not the bike!!!

Gatlin is just the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg in Athletism.

The solution appears to me is to diminish the prize money so runners will not want to ruin their health/lives for pity money

Edited by Sean Trane - August 01 2006 at 05:12
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Now Landis in a doping scandal.  Is there any credibility left in this sport?  Confused

Thing is that Cycling is THE ONLY sport trying to eradicate the cheaters. Every runner gets tested some ten to twelve times a year , much more if he wins regularly!!

My question is, why take drugs when you know a test is coming?  It's not like in baseball when the drug policies were a joke and they all could take steroids with little fear of getting caught (until now).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 03:25

Do you think athletism , Tennis, Football , skiing does that ? Dead

Lucky if they get tested twice per year!!!

LANDIS!!! I also thought this exploit of his was too good to be true! Especially after the spectacular breakdown he suffered the day before!!

Edited by Sean Trane - July 28 2006 at 03:27
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 22:19
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:21
 what a great finish in Paris on Sunday...   i'm really looking forward to next year's race!......

The Tour de France in Britain 2007

We look at the route the race will take when it comes to Britain in 2007.

The Opening Ceremony
On Friday, the 6th of July, the Teams competing in the 2007 Tour de France will be presented in Trafalgar Square, the centre of London and the scene of many a major celebration. The square contains a number of landmarks such as Nelson's Column and the National Gallery and will no doubt be packed with people for this showcase event.

Trafalgar Square and Nelsons Column

Right: Nelson's Column, Red double deckers and big crowds turning out for a bike race -- just a taste of what we'll see in 2007 for le Tour.

Prologue

On Saturday, the 7th of July, will be an eight kilometre (5 mile) lap of central London. The riders will depart from the starting ramp at Whitehall, taking in some of London's most famous landmarks including the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Wellington Arch, Hyde Park, and finishing on the Mall.

Royal Parks Chief Executive, Mark Camley said their agency was proud to play such a key role in delivering the Le Grand Depart to the UK.

"The Royal Parks are national treasures that are recognised by millions of people at home and around the World. They will prove to be a spectacular stage for this event and allow thousands of Londoners and visitors to enjoy the grandeur and natural beauty of the Royal Parks. Le Tour will also show the World our ability to host world-class sporting events ahead of the 2012 Olympics."

20060229_TDF_Prologue

Stage One (place to place)

20060229_TDF_Eye

On Sunday, the 8th of July, the first road stage will start in central London. The riders will depart from The Mall, ride through Admiralty Arch and then proceed alongside the Thames down to the Houses of Parliament and past the iconic symbol of Britain and London, Big Ben.

Then, the riders will cross the Thames river before riding past the London Eye (pictured right)  and looping back to take in St Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London. From there, they will pass over the Tower Bridge, through Bermondsey and Deptford to Greenwich where they will cross the Greenwich Meridian Line, where all time zones are measured from.

The route then passes through Woolwich, Abbey Wood and Erith, before leaving London for Dartford in Kent.

Out of London, the route then goes through Gravesend and on to Medway, dominated by Rochester Castle and it's Cathedral. Rochester was the scene of many a great gathering of cycle racing fans for the World Road Cups that were held there.

Passing on through Maidstone, the route will take the riders to Tonbridge and then on to Royal Tunbridge Wells. The route then winds through the beautiful Kent countryside, through the picturesque village of Tenterden and past Ashford to a potentially nail biting finish in Canterbury.

Leader of the Kent County Council, Paul Carter, said of the Tour coming to his part of the country, "With an estimated worldwide audience of 15 million people, the largest for any sporting event, this is a great opportunity to promote Kent and its countryside to a huge number of people."

20060229_TDF_Stage_1

The stage finishes in Canterbury, a city steeped in history just like many of the major landmarks in London and the town is suitably pleased to see the Tour de France coming through their front door. Canterbury City Council Leader, Cllr Harry Cragg's reaction to the news was "Canterbury is thrilled to have been chosen to host the climax to the first stage of the Tour de France. The City Council has already begun preparations for one of the world's most high profile sporting events and is looking forward to the excitement and drama that surrounds this prestigious occasion."

Edited by mystic fred - July 24 2006 at 12:30
Prog Archives Tour Van
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 05:51
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Wow... so Landis is almost TDF winner, as we expected he made a better against clock than Pereiro, placing Landis as the leader again, Pereiro is 0.59 behind Landis, and Kloden 0.30 behind Pereiro.

Im afraid tomorrow will be an exciting Stage, Landis has everything to win, but Kloden and Pereiro (with their respective teams) will do all the neccesary to make intelligent movements to reach and pass Landis .

I think Landis has an enough advantage to control them and win this Tour, but everything could pass.

Sorry for Sastre, he lost today....

I expect a very thrilling final!

I was really disappointed wit Sastre's performance >>> I was rooting for him

The last day is strictly parade and with 59 seconds , this is simply too much to expect for this insipid last stage.

If there was less than 20 seconds, then it would be possible, but here...

Anyway, Landis was best in this tour, but I doubt he will make it again next year with Basso  and Valverde
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 04:47
Kloden and Pereiro won't do anything to reach Landis, it's a tradition that the GC winner is decided before the final stage.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 13:40
Wow... so Landis is almost TDF winner, as we expected he made a better against clock than Pereiro, placing Landis as the leader again, Pereiro is 0.59 behind Landis, and Kloden 0.30 behind Pereiro.

Im afraid tomorrow will be an exciting Stage, Landis has everything to win, but Kloden and Pereiro (with their respective teams) will do all the neccesary to make intelligent movements to reach and pass Landis .

I think Landis has an enough advantage to control them and win this Tour, but everything could pass.

Sorry for Sastre, he lost today....

I expect a very thrilling final!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 08:19
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

What an amazing Tour, full of surprises and excitement until the last ITT.

Probably Landis is the strongest in the time trial, as you said Hugues, but with three weeks of riding behind them anything can happen. Anyway I think Landis is so determined to win this race now the others have no chance.

would not be that sure, there is the famous effect of wearing the yellow jersey causing the guy who wears to sublime himself beyond his capacities (a bit the way Landis did yesterday) , so Pereiro will give it his all too.

And Sastre is not mop at ITT either
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 03:28
What an amazing Tour, full of surprises and excitement until the last ITT.

Probably Landis is the strongest in the time trial, as you said Hugues, but with three weeks of riding behind them anything can happen. Anyway I think Landis is so determined to win this race now the others have no chance.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 02:58
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Yes it is!

Agreed with you, what Landis did today was great, and the other teams waited so much before attack him.  >>> way too long a wait before waking up >>> they started reacting when Landis became virtual Yellow jersey agin with 9-minutes. 

And it cost them dearly only Sastre (the man who provoked Landis's fall at Toussiure) managed to cut the loss yesterdauy , but obviously he (Sastre) is stronger than the rest of the pack (except maybe Landis)

The list is reduced to % :
Pereiro, Sastre, Landis, Kloden and Evans  Nah!!! the winner is one of the three, the others are over two minutes behind and if one or two can have failings, it is inconceivable that all three will.

All depends of that stage against clock, also with some luck Menchov and other could join to the group of battle for the Tour...   >>> too far behind! I give Landis some 45%, Sastre 35% and Pereiro 15% , the remaining 5% for the rest of the pack

After Amstrong retiring, Discovery Channel lost in every way, they are over 2 hours behind the leaders, about teams i hope T-Mobile wins, but CSC could be a nice "surprise" .

So lets see what happens next... interesting!  >>> There is still attacking grounds for today, even if it is not likely to happen, as the hills are too far away from the finnish line, and most of the three first will likely want to take it easy for the time trial. But this is last chance for thosde that are two or three minutes behind

The winner of this year will probably never win again a TDF, though! Once the other guys get back in the running (IF they do because I think Ullrich's career is now over)
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 20:20
The Tour is really great this year. Before the start, my fav. was Menchov. After the Pyrenees, it still was Menchov. I enjoy most of the important stages (Pyrenees, Alpes) very much. Every day another surprise! After Alpe d'Huez I thought Landis had won. After yesterday (the stage toToussuire) I didn't give a dime anymore for the chances of Landis. But what Landis showed today was great quality. Finally he went on the attack, and it payed off. Now I'm certain he'll win...but after tomorrow that can change again...that's how this Tour is..It's like a cliff-hanger... 
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 20:03
Yes it is!

Agreed with you, what Landis did today was great, and the other teams waited so much before attack him.

The list is reduced to % :
Pereiro, Sastre, Landis, Kloden and Evans

All depends of that stage against clock, also with some luck Menchov and other could join to the group of battle for the Tour...

After Amstrong retiring, Discovery Channel lost in every way, they are over 2 hours behind the leaders, about teams i hope T-Mobile wins, but CSC could be a nice "surprise" .

So lets see what happens next... interesting!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 11:40
Yup, although what Landis has done today by regaining his time lost yesterday is quite impressive.

So it will be three man race saturday. Thumbs Up

But the way this tour has been run is crazyWacko

Landis is solely guilty of Pereiro still in the running for letting this monster escape with some 28 minutes gap one week ago. He should've made his team go reduce it.Stern Smile So if Pereiro (who is fighting admirably) is in the running, he still does not desrve it that much.

Sastre is the man who made Landis lose yeterday by attacking and blowin,g things up , but today his team waited (and Peireiro's and Kloden's) waited way too long , before running after Landis.

Landis has panazche , but the suspense is full for saturday. He is the strongest against the clock I believe, but strats with a 30" handicap and will be riding in front of the other two.

Last time I saw a tour so exciting was in 89 when Fignon lost by 8" to Lemond, with some irregular equipment (the triathlete handle bar was not legal according to UCI)

I still think Valverde would've won this one; though!

This is messy running with a lot technical faults, but at least this tour is interestingClap
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 09:23
Haha Hugues, i think of the list only Menchov has any possibility to win...

I think this Tour is absent of "favorites" and natural leaders, but anyway i have watched the last 2 stages, and one more last week and i have noticed some good moments.

Now the leader is Oscar Pereiro Sio, with huge chance to win this Tour, but behind him dont forget Andreas Kloden, who is always in the top 20 and a worth T-Mobile member...

So lets see what happen this last days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>