Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJustice for the Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justice for the Dead
    Posted: June 24 2006 at 08:37
Don't get me wrong...I love this 'site and its groovy prog fans, but something has gone dreadfully afoul on PA.  The good old Grateful Dead is not included on the site!

The band recorded albums designed as "a musical soundtrack to the acid experience"...the sound was obviously not for the mass market....it wasn't going to sell like a Byrds, Love or Buff Spring record, but they put that aside for the music.  They absolutely pushed the limits of what was considered rock music at the time.  This barrier bending is what I consider the definition of prog rock....not John Cage avant-garde minimalism, or late era Coltrane's avant-jazz, or Lenny Bruce's avant-comedy, but rock 'n' roll.  The Grateful Dead shouldn't be limited to the tag of a California psychedelia band in the vien of the Doors, the Airplane or Hot Tuna....they created their own sound by blending everything from jug band music to Coltrane....they expanded so many people's taste in music just by being so adept and versatile.  Damn, man, Phil Lesh was versed in avant-jazz composition and Garcia was fascinated withthe sounds created by Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Coltrane.  Anyone who's ever been to a Dead show understand, the music really took you places....Jerry could play jazzy, spacy, funky, folksy, bluesy, trancey, Zappa-y....you name it, it could be heard at a Dead show.  Their studio LPs are widely known to be let downs after hearing or seeing them live, but we can't allow that to skewer our opinions of the Dead.

I know that some fans think that we've blurred the meaning of prog with some of the bands that have been recently added....hell, I'm one of 'em, but if some of that lot can be considered prog... 
I also know a lot of prog fans don't have that much experience with the Dead...I know that it's mainly an American thing, though there are legions of Dead fans all over the world. 

I'm typically not one to be so daring as to suggest inclusion of a band to PA, but the Dead are a really special group that deserve more recognition for their spacy, proggy side.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 08:41
While The Dead were great musicians in the aspect that they could jam and improvise like crazy, there is little to nothing progressive about them.  I happen to enjoy most of their music and have since the 60's, but they are more rock than anything else. 
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 08:57
A lot of people think a band that does something not quite in the vein of ordinary rock and roll is prog. Are they correct??
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:16
    I grew up in California, always on the edge of Grateful Dead circles, both in family and relationships, and they never did anything for me remotely like progressive music did. To say nothing of the fact that many of the Dead fans I knew then were actively hostile towards progressive music ("English Fag Rock" was a not uncommon epithert used for it). No, the Dead's music was definitely about getting mellowed out and stoned, not challenging existing preconceptions of music. The fact they did long, rambling jams (sometimes enjoyable, though generally the audience had to be quite stoned to get into it) does not entitle them to any kind of progressive status. I know some people would like to revise this history to give the Dead more weight, but in the time they were happening, there was virtually no contact or connection between these worlds.

Edited by RoyalJelly - June 24 2006 at 10:16
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 11:07
RoyalJelly, I couldn't agree more.  I moved from New York to the Bay Area in 1971 and The Dead, while considered a psychedlic band, were stoners.  While I enjoy just about any type of music (except Rap - I don't consider that music at all), The Dead were a group of good musicians who heavily got into their jams but were not prgressive in any way.  When I first saw The Beatles here I questioned why they were on this site, until I sat back and thought about what they were doing from Rubber Soul on.  Especially Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road.  They planted the seeds that blossomed into King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes and countless others.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 11:23
The Grateful Dead were/are not prog in any way.I don't think they could even be labelled Proto Prog.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 11:34
I seem to recall this topic coming up before.

The Dead certainly dipped a toe into prog in the 1970s - the excellent Blues for Allah is a prog album in all but name, with its jazzy chord sequences, odd time signatures and Middle Eastern influences. The side long epic Terrapin Station is also more prog than anything else, although the other side of the album is a disappointing grab bag of musical styles.

On the other hand, the splendid albums Workingman's Dead and especially American Beauty are country rock in all but name - does it follow that the Dead were a country rock band? The Dead touched many musical bases in their long career, with an uncommon degree of success, but ultimately they were the archetypal West Coast jamming band and belong here no more than they would on a blues database.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply