Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscovery!!...Don Airey's K2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovery!!...Don Airey's K2
    Posted: June 27 2006 at 17:55
Ever come across an album recorded nearly 20 years ago(1988) - featuring some of your favourite musicians - that you've never even heard of? (The album, that is.....not the musicians Embarrassed). Well, that's what just happened to me!

A few days ago, I stumbled across a mention of K2-Tales of Triumph And Tragedy, a solo effort by keyboard maestro Don Airey. The album features Gary Moore on guitar, Cozy Powell on drums, and a variety of vocalists including Chris Thompson and Colin Blunstone. I didn't have any idea that this album even existed, and I thought I was pretty familiar with the work of Moore and of Blunstone - especially around about that particular era. A quick Google search led me to Don Airey's website.

I received my copy of the CD today, and its terrific. It's a concept album based on the stories of the men who have attempted to climb K2. Similar in style to the Alan Parsons Project, though without Andrew Powell's orchestration. Moore (as usual) plays some mean licks alongside his former Colosseum II stablemate Airey. It's certainly not prog/fusion in the CII mold, so don't go in expecting that sort of stuff.

All in all, a great album. Probably (for my money) a good 3.8 stars on the PA scale. For more info, including a full track breakdown, go to www.donairey.com . You can buy the a signed copy (!!) of the album straight from Don's website too. I don't think there are any samples on the website, but I can't say I've checked it out fully yet.

Anyone else heard the album, or have a similar story/discovery to tell us about?

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 18:13
I bought it when it was released as a LP, tomorrow I will play it after many years, Norm Cash, great Yamaha CS80 sound Thumbs Up !
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 02:14
I was aware of the album, but I've never heard it - which is a pity, because there are some of my all-time favourite musicians on it. I used to worship Cozy Powell back in the '80s (I saw him at Donington with Whitesnake in '83... what a show!), and everybody here knows by now that I love Gary Moore (no, not in that sense...Tongue). Don Airey is one hell of a keyboard player too: it's just a pity that he had the ungrateful task to step in Jon Lord's shoes...Unhappy so that he'll never really get the recognition he deserves.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:13
Don Airey has done a great job replacing Jon Lord, imo. I think he's brought an energy that was missing in the DP camp since 'Perfect Strangers'- 'Bananas' was the best album I'd heard of DP's since that one, so something inspired them. 'Rapture...' was similarly excellent after it grew on me.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:16
I agree with you, James. I saw Airey with DP in Rome in 2003 (missed them this year), and his performance was excellent throughout. DP's latest album is also outstanding, the title-track being a particular favourite of mine.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:26
I witnessed Don Airey in the early Eighties live during a Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow gig, great soli with lots of special effects, really spectacular, he could compete with Blackmore Clap !
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:28
I have always liked Don Airey since his Colosseum II days.His keyboard "duels" with guitar Uber-God Gary Moore on such tracks as "Fighting Talk" and "Wardance" are superlative.
I was familiar with his work with the then ailing Rainbow and then the stuff with Cozy Powell on Over The Top.Wonderful contribution to all those albums.
I kinda lost touch with the guy after that until he contributed to some of the Gary Moore Blues albums in the 90s,he remains one of my favourite keybaord players to this day.

Anyone unfamiliar with his work should check out the streaming player for Colosseum II here on the archives and select Fighting Talk:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=785

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:31
Don Airey on the Minimoog on the albums Wardance and Electric Savage is outstanding, very exciting stuff (indeed, also splendid interplay with Gary Moore) Thumbs Up !

Edited by erik neuteboom - June 28 2006 at 13:32
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 03:01
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Don Airey has done a great job replacing Jon Lord, imo. I think he's brought an energy that was missing in the DP camp since 'Perfect Strangers'- 'Bananas' was the best album I'd heard of DP's since that one, so something inspired them. 'Rapture...' was similarly excellent after it grew on me.

I agree completely!
Though Jon Lord is my favourite keyboard player, Don Airey is very very very very gifted!!!! An excellent changing of the guards ("replacement" is such a bitter word in this case...)
A flower?

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 03:16
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I have always liked Don Airey since his Colosseum II days.His keyboard "duels" with guitar Uber-God Gary Moore on such tracks as "Fighting Talk" and "Wardance" are superlative.
I was familiar with his work with the then ailing Rainbow and then the stuff with Cozy Powell on Over The Top.Wonderful contribution to all those albums.
I kinda lost touch with the guy after that until he contributed to some of the Gary Moore Blues albums in the 90s,he remains one of my favourite keybaord players to this day.

Anyone unfamiliar with his work should check out the streaming player for Colosseum II here on the archives and select Fighting Talk:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=785

ClapClapClap

I've tried repeatedly to suggest the addition of Cozy Powell's solo albums to PA, though unfortunately to mixed reactions. I think at least "Over the Top" should be added. After all, we've added artists who have only made one prog album, and then gone on to very different things (not necessarily pop - in the case of Italian musician Luciano Basso, whom I added myself, it was contemporary classical music). I'd be extremely happy to add both bio and discography myself, as I really love those albums.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 04:21

Great idea Ghost Rider, I fully support this, I own the LP Over The Top since it was released (1979 by Ariola), what a line-up: Cozy Powell, Jack Bruce, Gary Moore, Bernie Marsden, Max Middleton and Dave Clempson, time to add it to Prog Archives Clap !

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 04:30
Thanks, Erik - the problem is, in the Collabs section there was a poll, but some people had doubts about the other albums, saying they were not prog enough (which may be partly true, but the same could be said of other artists), and that Powell was not even the writer of most of the tracks. Time to take up the issue again?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 04:33
Having been an admirer of Don Airey for many years through numerous bands he joined, ultimately the well-deserved position with Deep Purple, i jumped at the chance to "meet" him at a music trade show in London a few months ago. He gave a demonstration on the Hammond Organ, which was absolutely brilliant, and Don was very unassuming and friendly, a very unlikely rock star! if you passed him in the street you wouldn't notice him, and he said joining Deep Purple was a dream come true. I enjoyed his work on the new Purple album "Rapture of the Deep".

Edited by mystic fred - June 29 2006 at 04:34
Prog Archives Tour Van
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:15
A possible addition of Don Airey his album Over The Top (I am just listening to the LP, amazing Minimoog flights, majestic Yamaha CS80 sounds) immediately points at the inconsequent addition policy on this site, I feel coming my anger Angry so I have to calm down ......................... OK, let's hope for an inclusion of this splendid 'symphonic jazzrock' album Clap !
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:23
Erik, let's not get angry about that... there are worse things in life! Wink You could take up again the Cozy Powell thread in the Collabs section on Band suggestions, and see if we can get a clear response on this issue. I really would like to see those albums here.... and I'm  listening to Colosseum II just now!Wink
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:28
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

A possible addition of Don Airey his album Over The Top (I am just listening to the LP, amazing Minimoog flights, majestic Yamaha CS80 sounds) immediately points at the inconsequent addition policy on this site, I feel coming my anger Angry so I have to calm down ......................... OK, let's hope for an inclusion of this splendid 'symphonic jazzrock' album Clap !

Calm yourself ErikLOL The only way that Cozy could be on the Archive is if the album was accepted as "Various Artists" which it doesnt really qualify as. He was rejected in a perfectly fair and open poll because he has one prog-related album, a couple of lightweight jazz-rock/pop albums and a whole heap of non prog-related releases.

I feel that maybe we could create a "miscellaneous" section for these situations where one album from an otherwise non-related band/artist qualifies. Ghost,Erik do you think this is a good idea? A MISCELLANEOUS section....
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:32
As there is already a "Various Genres" section (which, if I remember correctly, includes the likes of Osibisa),  I think we could put Cozy's output there, instead of creating another section which would mean very much the same. Does anyone agree with me?
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:40
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

As there is already a "Various Genres" section (which, if I remember correctly, includes the likes of Osibisa),  I think we could put Cozy's output there, instead of creating another section which would mean very much the same. Does anyone agree with me?

Where?Confused

What's wrong with a Miscellaneous section? Apart from me not being able to spell it...LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:44
There's nothing wrong with it, and you spelt it perfectly - I just think, from a merely linguistic point of view, that "Various Genres" and "Miscellaneous" mean the same thing (sorry for being pedantic, but that's my trade!Wink). BTW, you'll find the "Various Genres" section at the end of the Subgenre list, on the Home Page.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:53
Well, Tony R, if England is that creative this Saturday as you are with 'miscellaneous' they will beat Portugal Wink !
To be serious, to me it sounds fine but is the solution that only the progrock/prog-related albums by artists like Don Airey with Over The Top will be featured on this site?

Edited by erik neuteboom - June 29 2006 at 05:54
 Post Reply Post Reply