FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCryptic Vision Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cryptic Vision Live
    Posted: July 04 2006 at 16:23

I am a bit ashamed to say, I am a musician, and I have never been to a CD release party. That is until Fri June 29th at the Sailing Squadron in Sarasota, Fl. I am supposed to support local arts and artists, but have conveniently found other things to take up my time. I have to again admit, I am not sure I will ever want to go again, unless the band is Cryptic Vision. That is because they have spoiled it. Yes, I am a fan. I am biased. I have friends in this band. Long time friends. But then again I have lots of long time friends in the music business, and none of the experiences have ever prompted me to write.

It was a casual setting, outside, wine beer and munchies. The no-see-ums were biting pretty badly, but plenty of people to see and re-acquaint with. Then as the evening settled in, with no real fanfare, Cryptic Vision took the stage. The members ambled up, kind of plunked their instruments to ensure of their operation. Then, just like their second CD opens, so does the concert. The silence swells into a colossal forest of music. It is filled with colors, textures, and of course, sounds that have not been approached before. It was like discovering a new tribe deep in the rain forest.

The main writer, Rick Duncan, has truly created an epic sound. Along with Howard Helm, (keyboards, vocals), Sam Conable (bass, vocals) Tim Keese, (guitar, vocals) and of course the unforgettable voice of Todd Plant, Rick has gathered these humble musical giants together in a true super group. Confident, but never audacious, intricate, but not delicate, technical, but not without emotion. These are the best ways I can describe the Cryptic Vision experience. I left that evening vowing to myself to be a better musician, inspired by the beauty I had just witnessed. I implore you to go see Cryptic Vision. It is not just progressive rock, it is an experience. Bravo gentlemen, Bravo

Al Owen

www.b-movieband.com

http://www.myspace.com/soiledporpoise
Al Owen
www.b-movieband.com
Gaspy Conana View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 23:05
Haha, I was there too, was great.
i no wuts proggeir and u dont so their
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 15:55
Just saw them Friday at Calprog and I was expecting them to be good because I have a had a few weeks to get into the new CD In a World and the live one from the 2005 Rosfest.  This band is killer live. While they have influences I think they make them their own but really got to me is only one prog band slams it in your face right from the start the way the guys do live and that is Kansas. I don't mean they sound like a Kansas clone I mean it is like going from 60mph to hitting a wall.  It just throws you back in your seat in its intensity. They have quiet moments, epic moments and rock moments too.  But they open with the 16 minute suite that has such a dynamic ending you think they would save that for the end of the set.   (believe me I was sitting in the front row. I could feel my hair move from the force coming off the stage.)
 I love these guys. Great Human beings as well. Hung out with Sam, Tim, Howard and Todd after the show. If they come within 1000 miles of me I will be there. Fantastic. 
Did they do the Progmedley too at the release party?

This years was

Portrait-Kansas
In the Dead of Night-UK
Firth of Fifth-Genesis
Court of the Crimson King-King Crimson
Hocus Pocus-Focus (Complete with perfect Theis Van Leer yodeling)  
Your Move-Yes

Great, great band. For those of you who like symphonic rock with the American sound this is the group. Their first CD is OK but In a World is great. Looking for nothing but big things from these guys.

Karn Evil 9 1st Impression pt 2-ELP

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply