Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDungen! Yay or Nay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dungen! Yay or Nay?
    Posted: July 05 2006 at 05:26

I've been listening to lots of their stuff lately, they are a Sweedish psychadelic band; I'm a big fan of their album: Ta Det Lungt. Just wondering if anyone has heard of them and wheat they think of them, send your opinions this way!Cool

edit: Going to see them 19th July in Sydney at the Newtown RSL!

Edited by 2112 - July 05 2006 at 05:44

I can't wait to share this new wonder...The people will all see its light!
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 05:38
One second ago I just reccomended it in a non-prog prog thread. Ta det Lugnt is fantastic. Will be added here soon?

BTW: The vocalist/songwriter used to be a hip hop DJ, and he found all his parents prog and folk records, while looking for samples etc. He loved it so much it made him change his musical direction completely. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
bobbyross73 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 07:26
Really great (at least on most recordings one man-)band! The songs sound really fresh. If it weren't for the swedish language (which i personally think adds a lot of charm) they could become much better known then they are now. Recommended!!
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 08:11
I have his first album (Yes, I see him rather as a singer/songwriter than as a band) but I don't remeber what it's called (and I'm quite far from my record collection right now)Disapprove

edit: It's called Stadsvandringar.

I quite good album though. More in the tradition of the swedish left field progg scene of the 70s (wish have more in common with prog than just a very similar name) than prog.

Edited by Frasse - July 05 2006 at 08:14
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 08:47
Thread moved. The Prog music lounge is for bands listed on the site.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 09:48
Sadly, understanding Swedish would just be a hindrance. The lyrics are often silly, but not in a good way, and not very well written.

The Swedish "progg" scene had nothing to do with Prog. It was usually just semi-inept Blues/Rock with political lyrics. Tangentially, there were some Folk/Pop/Rock bands, and these are the ones that Dungen seems to be inspired by.
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Sadly, understanding Swedish would just be a hindrance. The lyrics are often silly, but not in a good way, and not very well written.

The Swedish "progg" scene had nothing to do with Prog. It was usually just semi-inept Blues/Rock with political lyrics. Tangentially, there were some Folk/Pop/Rock bands, and these are the ones that Dungen seems to be inspired by. Yes, I Should have made that clear.

The Progg scene generally had nothing to do with prog rock. But band such as Samla Mammas Manna, Kebnekaise and Kaipa and some others listed in the PA belonged to that scene.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 04:54
Originally posted by Frasse Frasse wrote:

I have his first album (Yes, I see him rather as a singer/songwriter than as a band) but I don't remeber what it's called (and I'm quite far from my record collection right now)Disapprove

edit: It's called Stadsvandringar.

I quite good album though. More in the tradition of the swedish left field progg scene of the 70s (wish have more in common with prog than just a very similar name) than prog.

Get Ta det Lungt before you make up your mind. Its distingtly Progsounding, although in a retrospective way. Sounds like a Proto-prog/psychedelia band from 1970. With rock freakouts, instrumenals, singalongs, flute, strings, mellotron etc. Sounds very positive, fresh and original compared to most new prog releases imo.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
theblastocyst View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 17:20
yay
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by Frasse Frasse wrote:

But band such as Samla Mammas Manna, Kebnekaise and Kaipa and some others listed in the PA belonged to that scene.
Actually, Samla were frowned upon by the progg movement, not least after they released Klossa Knapitatet, since that title poked fun at the very seriously political band Blå Tågets album title "Krossa Kapitalet" (Crush the Capital), and generally for not being politically "conscious" and activists. I think Kebnekajse and Kaipa were semi-accepted, but also viewed with some suspicion since they were musically somewhat elitist, and had more in common with traitors like Janne Schaffer whowould play with Abba and stuff FOR MONEY! (*gasp*)

Either way, they weren't really of the scene per se, but were certainly part of many of the festivals that were popular at the time, and released albums on some of the same independent labels.
sampo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2006 at 09:05
One of the finest bands of today. Saw them last summer. Surely they belong in the Progarchives-catalogue (I mean, led zeppelin has been added......).
 Post Reply Post Reply