Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSgt Pepper And Abbey Road on the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sgt Pepper And Abbey Road on the top 100
    Posted: July 07 2006 at 18:54
I think is fantastic having 2 Beatles Albums in the top 100, well they deserve it. Way to goSmile
And In The End, The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 19:00
Hurrah!
Big smile
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 19:13
Actually I find it surprising (silly) that The Beatles are in a prog site, but I guess there are a lot of groups that are complicated to classify, a group that really was prog at that time was Procol Harum, but Beatles, ha! then let's put anyone in the PA's Smile. Beatles as prog is an obvious error.

Mogens
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 19:37
Originally posted by mgallard mgallard wrote:

Actually I find it surprising (silly) that The Beatles are in a prog site, but I guess there are a lot of groups that are complicated to classify, a group that really was prog at that time was Procol Harum, but Beatles, ha! then let's put anyone in the PA's Smile. Beatles as prog is an obvious error.

Mogens

It appears you aren't really familiar with their work!  Listen to Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and Abbey Road and you will see where Prog got its roots.  If they hadn't experimented the way they did or if they didn't push the envelope, chances are sites like this wouldn't exist today as there might no be Progressive music.  Look how many of the Progressive artists credit The Beatles for influencing them.  How many Progressive artists have covered their material?
R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 19:39
I'm agree with mgallard. Beatles are not prog in any way, It's silly have them in the top 100.
We were always be much human than we whish to be.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:09

Mogens
Agreed - as R deniro says too - great music, but on a prog site, not really appropriate.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:14
The Beatles showed that rock music could have artistic capabilities. If you don't believe me, get the latest issue of Mojo.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:21
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

The Beatles showed that rock music could have artistic capabilities. If you don't believe me, get the latest issue of Mojo.
Absolutely agree - though not sure I need the latest issue of Mojop to convince me! - they are probably the ultimate act in any rock hall of fame - it's just that despite their huge influence, I don't really agree with their inclusion on a prog site. However I realise other's opinions differ!
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:23
I think the Beatles are OK here in terms on proto-prog, but all proto-prog and Prog-related should stay out of the top 100 in my opinion
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:25
^ I believe Captain Beefheart and The Velvet Underground were the one who proved rock to have artistic value.

If you want my opinion, Beatles mainly showed to rest of the world the financial potential of music...
Vive le Québec libre!...
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:57
I think White album and Abbey Road are definately proto prog, I think it is streatching it a bit to include Sgt. Pepper and Mystery Tour but OK. But the rest of their catalogue doesn't belong on this site, its funny that Miles Davis isn't on this site because a lot of his work isn't prog but yet the Beatles are? it doesn't make sense,. I have suggested that their be a new category called Select Albums, and just have the prog albums from borderline bands such as Beatles etc. Basically just their prog is included on this site while the rest isn't. Some of the Collabs think its a good idea, but its whether the 'big cheese' of the website likes it.Smile

Mad Bass Player View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 21:18
The Beatles are really great, definetly a highly creative band.  They really pushed the bondaries on pop music.  They were definetly somewhat progressive.  But are they progressive enough to be called prog rock?  Or even progressive enough to be on the top 100?  I leaning towards no.  They're a great proto prog band, but should proto prog even be included on the top 100?
    "Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything
else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 21:30

I like the idea because these albums were pretty prog for the time and no doubt inspired the bands that became legends. Apparently Lennon became quite depressed when the trailblazing banner was passed to other bands. I'd have problems with an album like Let it Be, The white album or Revolver being in the top 100 because in my judgement they are not prog enough
How wonderful to be so profound
HeirToRuin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 23:06
I'm not sure how someone can NOT classifying Sgt Pepper at a minimum as a progressive album.

Was it not one of the first of its kind?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 23:24
Originally posted by Borealis Borealis wrote:

^ I believe Captain Beefheart and The Velvet Underground were the one who proved rock to have artistic value.

If you want my opinion, Beatles mainly showed to rest of the world the financial potential of music...

Yeah, because beautiful, intelligent, challenging music, the likes of which had never been heard before, has always been a guaranteed payday. Who do you think opened the door for Beefheart and the Underground anyway?
dagrush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 23:26
Boo! Hiss! Various disparaging remarks!

(It's not that I don't find the Beatles to be prog, I do, I just don't like what I've heard)
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 03:22
Thumbs Down

DeadThumbs DownCensoredPinchConfusedErmm
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Ounamahl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 04:18
Why in hell everybody's stressing the top100?....
This is an electrified fairytale
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 06:18

Mogens

The Beatles are not categorized "as prog" here ... the problem (bug) is that the top 100 list includes the two genres we have for non-prog bands (prog-related/proto-prog).

If only I had access to the script files ... it would take me just a few minutes to fix it.Wink
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 07:44
It's extremely poor marketing by ProgArchives to show a top list on the front page that includes proto-prog and certain prog-related artists.

In effect, ProgArchives looses the real prog rock lovers and attracts mainstream music lovers. I wonder if it adds up to winning or loosing more visitors? But they will definitely loose visitors from their target group.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>