Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Syd: Astronomy Domine and Scarecrow prog classics?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSyd: Astronomy Domine and Scarecrow prog classics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 05:28
I fully agree, Erik.

Probably posted already, but here's Syd singing Jugband Blues , Astronomy Domine... among others. Warning, you might start weeping. I had to stop watching it myself.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 05:36
I have to admit that I can't bear to listen/watch Jugband Blues and Syd's solo material, I feel his pain, confusion and the psychological decompensation too much, for me it's deep sorrow...Cry ... Syd was no longer able to control his mind, his music became a direct reflection of his troubled mental state.... as I mentioned earlier, due to a schizophrenic process. But he will be remembered as a genieus, partly responsible for the birth of the progressive rock Clap!
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 05:50
I'm not a fan of piper at the gates but I love Astonomy Domine, one of my favourite tracks of all time.

There is footage of Floyd playing this live (on YouTube I think) with Syd howling the lyrics with arms aloft. Epic stuff.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 06:18

It's from the BBC, after this show a very poshy and arrogant interviewer said "why it has to be so terribly loud", Syd smiled and responsed very cool "Well, it was not that loud ..", historical words Wink !

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 08:12
^Indeed. I have that bit of film on DVD and the interviewer is Hans Keller, moaning 'why does it have to be so loud? I can't bear it' to which Roger Waters and Syd gave somewhat iconic responses.

As for the early Barrett era work? It's not prog as many would recognise it here- certainly the early Floyd themselves I've seen many people disregard. I feel it was a huge stepping stone towards prog bands such as Yes, King Crimson et al. in that a touch of the lyrically surreal was added and also, highly advanced musicianship by throwing in some folk and jazz into the rock melting pot. What makes the Syd era floyd different is that most of this is done within a pop framework- few bands epitomise the 'pop psych' genre as well as the Syd era Floyd.

Not all of Syd's stuff is unbearably poignant. There's actually a lot of humour that's often neglected in gems like 'Here I Go', 'Arnold Layne', 'Gigolo Aunt', 'Bike' and 'Effervesecent Elephant'. Heck, even some romanticism emerges in songs like 'Golden Hair', 'Long Gone', 'Wined and Dined' and 'Late Night'. There has been too much focus on the 'mad' aspect of his career (and will sadly, probably be more now) whereas there are many different facets to his work.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:22
Good point about that 'pop-framework', the songs Arnold Layne and See Emily Play are an unique  blend of pop with rock and psychedelia Thumbs Up !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12