Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy was Syd Barrett a Genius???!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:20
Syd was a genius in my book
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:26
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Fisher Tony Fisher wrote:

Originally posted by toolis toolis wrote:

some personal points on the subject:

1.Syd was not a genius..
2.it doesn't matter what age he died at, tottaly irrelevant...
3.there are greater music talents out there, that's for sure...
4.no one, i mean NO ONE can ever guess how Floyd would be if he didn't leave the band...my humble opinion is that he would drag the rest down with him and Roger wouldn't have the space to conceive the brilliant music of WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall and Animals.. lets face it, the guy was a different kind of song writer...
5.Syd was a bohemian, drug addict, mediocre player. This doesn't add up to a genius...
6.by the time Floyd released PATGOD, Britain's psychedelic rock scene was already very active.. he was not as influential as you think...
7.boy, if i were stoned all the time too, hell, i could put a few words together and impress you...

Well said! I agree with every word.

Exactly my thoughts too.

This post is rather arrogant and ignorant. Syd was a fount of creativity, and like another troubled songwriter generally refered to as a genius, Brian Wilson, even in the depths of his mental troubles, Syd could kick out 10 songs a day, maybe not all masterpieces, but jewels of spontanaeity...that's where I see the value of his contribution, especially on his solo albums. It's like you can hear the act of creation occuring in the moments he made the recording. I can think of little music that is that spontaneous and immediate, maybe in jazz once in a while, but especially in the realm of song-writing. This gave many of his songs an absolutely original rhythmic bent, since it wasn't music normal people could count, or band members could even work out together, just Syd's brain flowing through voice and guitar, creating as the ideas came to him.
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:41
The fact is, whether you consider him a genius or not, there would be no Pink Floyd without him. So in light of his death I think we should just reflect on the music and thank God for PF........................
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 13:04
Quote I do not believe he was a genius, and I think it is ridiculous how many people do because I feel it is only at his DEATH that most believe this.

No, actually, his fans are now coming out into the open, driven by his death; now we feel responsible to make people see what Syd had done. Before it was just one of those"'Oh you know there was this guy named Syd who started Pink Floyd and they kicked him out because they thought he was a liability? But he just had a different creativity that the band didn't think would sell anymore."

Now it's "The Piper is dead! And we're the children who followed him at his coattails, and now it's our duty to make sure he isn't forgotten."

And yes, he was a genius no matter which way you stack it. For somebody to write a song like 'Bicycle' --- you don't find that amazing?
How about the way he wrote lyrics that perfectly reflected the human thought process? No other artist has been able to capture the human mind quite like Syd did; you listen to the lyrics and it's just like having the thoughts in your own head, but in the form of words.

Just wait until his demo recordings are all released. He wrote thousands of songs after he left the band. Just wait. They'll come. He's undoubtedly one of the most prolific and creative artists to ever grace this green earth.

http://www.sydbarrett.org/artbysydbarrett.htm

Go there. Look through all his works.
To say that this man wasn't a genius would be to deny one of the pioneers of underground psychedelic rock.
Goldenavatar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by RoyalJelly RoyalJelly wrote:

1.Syd was not a genius..
4.no one, i mean NO ONE can ever guess how Floyd would be if he didn't leave the band...my humble opinion is that he would drag the rest down with him and Roger wouldn't have the space to conceive the brilliant music of WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall and Animals.. lets face it, the guy was a different kind of song writer...
5.Syd was a bohemian, drug addict, mediocre player. This doesn't add up to a genius...
6.by the time Floyd released PATGOD, Britain's psychedelic rock scene was already very active.. he was not as influential as you think...
7.boy, if i were stoned all the time too, hell, i could put a few words together and impress you...

Exactly my thoughts too.

This post is rather arrogant and ignorant. Syd was a fount of creativity, and like another troubled songwriter generally refered to as a genius, Brian Wilson, even in the depths of his mental troubles, Syd could kick out 10 songs a day, maybe not all masterpieces, but jewels of spontanaeity...that's where I see the value of his contribution, especially on his solo albums. It's like you can hear the act of creation occuring in the moments he made the recording. I can think of little music that is that spontaneous and immediate, maybe in jazz once in a while, but especially in the realm of song-writing. This gave many of his songs an absolutely original rhythmic bent, since it wasn't music normal people could count, or band members could even work out together, just Syd's brain flowing through voice and guitar, creating as the ideas came to him.

You can't think of much music that is spontaneous and immediate? You haven't listened to much music have you! You can go to a bar and here music that is spontaneously generated. Not only that, but it's probably considerably better than Barrett's. Jazz, blues, rock, zydeco, kletzmer, bluegrass, even classical have tremendous moments of spontanaeity. The only music I can think of off the top of my head that probably has no spontanaeity is serialism.

Concerning busting out 10 songs a day, so what? By your own admission, some of them weren't that great. Plus, there are many prolific musicians out there. If you want to consider someone who really is instrumentally virtuoso and amazingly prolific, consider Prince. Make all the jokes you want, the guy can play!

The original list was far to kind in my opinion. Barrett was not even a mediocre player. He was an awful guitar player. Anyone who listens to "The Madcap Laughs" and thinks, "Whoa, great guitar technique," must not know much about guitar. Don't get me wrong, I like Syd's solo work, but I can at least admit he was not an instrumental talent.

Concerning his influence: it takes more than influence to be considered a genius, quite frankly. Kurt Cobain had tremendous influence over players for the last ten years. And I don't see too many people here claiming he was a genius. Please don't either.

Finally, consider people who really are geniuses by all accounts. I personally can only think of one person whom I consider to be a genius. And that is the master himself, J. S. Bach. I'm hesistant even to apply the word to Mozart or Beethoven, much less someone from the British Psychedelia movement. It seems to me if you're throwing the word "genius" around with that much whimsy, you clearly don't think it means the same thing I do.

As always, my humble opinion.

Edited by Goldenavatar - July 12 2006 at 13:22
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

[quote]

Go there. Look through all his works.
To say that this man wasn't a genius would be to deny one of the pioneers of underground psychedelic rock.
Syd was just as prolific as John Lennon in my opinion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 13:23
He had a folk style. He didn't have to be the best guitarist out there, or even a very good one. It just contributes to the feel of his music. I think it matches his subject matter very well.

And you're focusing too much on the music as you hear it instead of how it's written.

You can have the best technique in the world but if you aren't creative you're just a machine.

You must be listening to his music in the wrong context; he wasn't making music to sell. He was making it for himself. And that makes it all the greater.

edit:
Quote Syd was just as prolific as John Lennon in my opinion.

Maybe moreso. We'll have to wait for all his demos and other pieces to be released.

Edited by DeepPhreeze - July 12 2006 at 13:25
RoyalJelly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 13:56
Originally posted by Goldenavatar Goldenavatar wrote:

Originally posted by RoyalJelly RoyalJelly wrote:

1.Syd was not a genius..

Exactly my thoughts too.

You can't think of much music that is spontaneous and immediate? You haven't listened to much music have you! You can go to a bar and here music that is spontaneously generated. Not only that, but it's probably considerably better than Barrett's. Jazz, blues, rock, zydeco, kletzmer, bluegrass, even classical have tremendous moments of spontanaeity. The only music I can think of off the top of my head that probably has no spontanaeity is serialism.

Concerning busting out 10 songs a day, so what? By your own admission, some of them weren't that great. Plus, there are many prolific musicians out there. If you want to consider someone who really is instrumentally virtuoso and amazingly prolific, consider Prince. Make all the jokes you want, the guy can play!

The original list was far to kind in my opinion. Barrett was not even a mediocre player. He was an awful guitar player. Anyone who listens to "The Madcap Laughs" and thinks, "Whoa, great guitar technique," must not know much about guitar. Don't get me wrong, I like Syd's solo work, but I can at least admit he was not an instrumental talent.

Concerning his influence: it takes more than influence to be considered a genius, quite frankly. Kurt Cobain had tremendous influence over players for the last ten years. And I don't see too many people here claiming he was a genius. Please don't either.

Finally, consider people who really are geniuses by all accounts. I personally can only think of one person whom I consider to be a genius. And that is the master himself, J. S. Bach. I'm hesistant even to apply the word to Mozart or Beethoven, much less someone from the British Psychedelia movement. It seems to me if you're throwing the word "genius" around with that much whimsy, you clearly don't think it means the same thing I do.

As always, my humble opinion.

I wrote "I could think of little music that was THAT spontaneous and immediate", meaning it shows a greater degree of spontanaeity than most. As a musician, I learned a lot about the act of musical creation by listening to Syd's unique solo music, which is not simply about mechanical technique. I'm also not for throwing around the word genius so lightly, but would rather spend a few words of kindness on the passing of a great artist (by any measure), by pointing out the many positive aspects of his contribution than spewing out negative vitriole to sully the memory of someone you're not in the position to appreciate. Maybe you should go try creating something that good instead of pissing on the ones who could?
kebjourman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

well, he invented psychedelic rock, he invented a new lifestyle for British people, he laid down the musical ideas for 30 years of Pink Floyd music, he is the most imitated songwriter by hundreds of indie bands as of 2006
who would be a genius then? the singer of opeth?

stole the words from my mouth
AcostaFulano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:04
Originally posted by CaptainWafflos CaptainWafflos wrote:

Syd Barrett was sixty years old. He didn't die young~

It's a hell of a lot better than people considering Kurt Cobain to be a musical genius, at least. Syd at least had an undeniable amount of musical talent.

I think Kurt Cobain was a genius in what he did... he got to move a huge mass of people and make them think the way he did... even though i think his music is not very good... if his purpose in the musical world was that, he did it quite well IMO (you guys should see my cousin   -____-")
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:10
A genius ?

I'm not sure he was a genius - but he was responsible for Pink Floyd or at least the Pink Floyd I enjoyed.

Not so sure about the genius thing though.

Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:18
Originally posted by aprusso

"well, he invented psychedelic rock, he invented a new lifestyle for British people, he laid down the musical ideas for 30 years of Pink Floyd music, he is the most imitated songwriter by hundreds of indie bands as of 2006
who would be a genius then? the singer of opeth?"

Look buddy, don't go sl*gging the lead singer of Opeth just because people are debating the merits of calling Syd Barrett a genius. This 'singer of Opeth'(Mikael Åkerfeldt)is actually an extremely talented and prolific musician - the fact that he chooses not to consume vast amounts of LSD does not detract from his status - no doubt when he dies (and I hope that is a long time away) then people may appreciate him more - maybe by then you will too.

Edited by horza - July 12 2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:20
Anybody know where I can host a 3mb MP3 and can directly link to it?

I just found the Syd demo recording with The Beatles of 'What A Shame Mary Jane'.

At first I thought it was Lennon trying to sound like Syd but it's very clearly Syd... then Lennon and Syd trade off...
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:31
He almost certainly wasn't a genius, and the term is rather too freely used, IMHO.Stern Smile

Most seem to mean "great" or "very good at what he did" (in fairness, the word does have that secondary connotation) when they use it, as opposed to the primary meaning of "possessing far above-average intelligence."

(And thus language and meaning evolve through usage.)Geek

Edited by Peter Rideout - July 12 2006 at 14:33
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Chris_Kemp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 14:40
No. But he had an uncompromised artistic vision and that is a rare thing.
"That's not your face...it's mine! IT'S MINE!!
Dr4Wazo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 15:25
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"

(written on the back of Type O Negative's "Bloody Kisses")

IMO, He was not such a genius... I find his solo work quite boring...

"Mëem Otsilennhetëe Dros Sun Surra Steuhn Do Nansei"
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 15:44
I'm shocked at how ignorant many of you are, can you not see where this thread has obviously gone?

Let me open some of the more argumentative people's eyes for them. Stern Smile

The name of this thread really should be, "Is [insert prefered band name here] really a prog band?"

This thread is stupid, and the question is too oppinionated for debate.

I won't argue my thoughts in this thread because of the,

1. Pointlessness of it.
2. I really don't care what others think about something that I personally know/believe.
3. The guy just passed away for God's sake. Have some Censored decency will you? Angry

Ying Yang

Edited by Rust - July 12 2006 at 16:16
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 16:06
Shell we make a poll 'was syd barret a genious or not'? Smile

In my humble opinion, 'genious' is a term that should be only in use for some classical composers.

But... if we can use this term more freely... he HAD that very special something... he had those 'sparks'...

'the piper at the gates of dawn' is my preferable Pink Floyd album. even though it sounds different from what Pink Floyd done at the next years... and without despite what Pink Floyd done afterwards...

as a guitarist - he lacks techniqs, but had a very unique style, that many guitarist are influenced by until today...

It's difficult to know how he would develop if he stayed in a proper mental state...
its even hard to know how Pink Floyd would sound with him... maby less good? it could have happen...

obviously he was very talented, and his music ends to soon, due to his mental situation... actually he didnt live proper life since he was about 22... for almost 40 years...

may he rest in peaceDisapprove 
Baggiesfaninuk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

[QUOTE=Bern] [QUOTE=Tony Fisher] [QUOTE=toolis]

1.Syd was not a genius..Pioneers are often looked upon as geniuses. Piper... defined the sound of psychedelia in '67!

6.by the time Floyd released PATGOD, Britain's psychedelic rock scene was already very active.. he was not as influential as you think...Name one album pre- Piper... sounding close to this experimental and psychedelic (certainly not Revolver). Early Floyd was a big influence on Krautrock, Canterbury and the psychedelic elements of prog in general.

The sound evolved through him and the Floyd but he didn't define it in my opinion. Revolver (although I hate to say it), together with The Byrds' 'Fifth Dimension' and Zappa and the Mothers' 'Freak Out' were clear influences on the whole scene and often regarded as the birth of psychedelia in 1966. We can argue the toss until the cows come home but you have your opinion and I have mine. However, he was clearly a huge influence on the London scene in a relatively short time - together with the unfortunate habit, which ultimately led to his demise.

Even 1967 produced beauties such as the eponymous Grateful Dead debut - PATGOD wasn't alone. I don't believe Syd was instrumental in defining the sound or spawning Psychedelia per se. For instance, around the same time, both The Soft Machine and The Doors were gaining huge reputations for similar reasons. In fact, I might suggest that The Softs were more influential on the Canterbury scene than Floyd given the manner in which both groups evolved.

Although I don't consider Syd a genius, he will remain a legend. And in years to come it will continue, as the mention of his name will I'm sure, generate further debates such as this.
My father was a beekeeper before me; his father was a beekeeper. I want to follow in their footsteps. And their footsteps were like this. (Runs screaming) "AAAAAAAH! I'm covered in beeeeees!" - Izzard
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 20:02
I'm listening to his solo stuff right now, which is more lyrics oriented. His lyrics have a way of being almost nonsense on paper but having an almost deep meaning when sung. Pure genius.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>