Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInfo about Roxy Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info about Roxy Music
    Posted: July 13 2006 at 19:30
Hello,

My father recently borrowed a Roxy Music DVD from one of his friends. One night, I came home from a party (drunk) and my father was watching it.

I was pretty sleepy and drunk so I'm not sure but I think it was pretty good. The band looked like they didn't take themselves too seriously and their music was quite proggy and overall enjoyable.

The next morning, I logged on to Progarchives to see if they were listed and I was happy to see that they were. However, my question is : Is this band really good or my drunken mind was stupid? If they are good, what albums should I get? What kind of music do they play?

Thanks Tongue

-Bern

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 21:51

There first two albums Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure feature Brian Eno on synths.  The former is the better of the two albums.  The songs on the PA are an inaccurate description of the versatility of Roxy Music.  First buy their debut, and work chronologically. 

Post Eno: Country Life is their best 70s effort, imo, after eno departed, rather kicked out by Brian Ferry.  Its a more rock and roll album. 

Avalon is the most beutiful album of alltime, it clearly is not.  Its a good 80s, mellow synth laiden arelease, but overrated by many avid Roxy Music fans. 

Edited by Asyte2c00 - July 13 2006 at 21:52
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 22:29
I personally never liked Roxy Music.  Something about the sax in it irks me, and I don't know what.  I enjoy saxaphone in many other bands, yet I don't in Roxy Music...

Edited by rileydog22 - July 13 2006 at 22:29

pierreolivier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 22:52
I love Roxy Music a lot.They were progressive at the beginning of their career but they became more pop later with the Manifesto album.Their first 4 albums(Roxy Music,For your pleasure,Stranded,Country Life) were all very good and worth buying,the first 2 are essentials IMHO.I loved the Avalon album at the time but think today it doesn't date well with the production and the "trendy" pop sound of the time,their earliest albums stand the test of time more.

So,you could buy the 2 first albums,you won't be dissapointed.Sorry to be "hors sujet" but you are right by saying that Maneige was an incredible band.Thumbs Up
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 23:00
Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

I love Roxy Music a lot.They were progressive at the beginning of their career but they became more pop later with the Manifesto album.Their first 4 albums(Roxy Music,For your pleasure,Stranded,Country Life) were all very good and worth buying,the first 2 are essentials IMHO.I loved the Avalon album at the time but think today it doesn't date well with the production and the "trendy" pop sound of the time,their earliest albums stand the test of time more.

So,you could buy the 2 first albums,you won't be dissapointed.Sorry to be "hors sujet" but you are right by saying that Maneige was an incredible band.Thumbs Up

I think I will then. I'll take the advice from a fellow Québécois Wink

Maneige Hug

Anybody else has anything to say?

Edited by Bern - July 13 2006 at 23:01

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 04:08
Best buy:
CD The Early Years
DVD Musikladen 74/75 (featuring Brian Eno and Eddie Jobson on his transparent electric violin)
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 04:17
My father used to have a cassette tape of theirs in the '80s which used to get played in the car quite a bit.  They have some good tunes from memory.

Also remember that Phil Manzanera was the guitarist of the band and he was good friends with Robert Wyatt and other Canterbury artists.  He was also in the great and underrated jazz/rock fusion Canterbury band Quiet Sun.

Surely you've heard Virginia Plain?

As for Bryan Ferry the singer, I really really hate his version of Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's (A Gonna Fall) off his debut.  Awful!
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 04:30
I saw them at Wembley Empire Pool in the mid 70's and they were superb, one of my first gigs.

They got worse as time went by; and then Ferry went down his crooner route and the whole thing fell apart.

In fact Bryan Ferry mined the 'Mr. cool' image that WAS Kevin Ayers. Never quite forgiven him for that.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 20:13
    I have "Country Life," "Siren," and "Avalon." The first two are quite different from the last, but are all very good. I think it is funny to hear them refered to as pop. They were quite avant-garde, and alternative (before there was alternative). "Avalon" is a beautiful album, and is like much of the music of the time. But they weren't trying to sound hip. Everybody else had finally caught up.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 20:19
The first three are highly reccomeneded. They become a rather "chic" band later in their career.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 20:26
Basically your druken mind read correctly, they are really good. Too bad I don't have any of there stuff.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 05:42
Stick with the first two with Eno in the line-up

But get For Your Pleasure which is much proggier

The rest of their album (post Eno) is more poppier and Ferry has a tendency to ruin it by playing it crooner with his (great) voice: it just irks me to hear this guys blurt out third age tunes like Sinatra while Manzanera, Wetton, Jobson, Mackay are reduded to back-up band
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 19:55
Thanks guys for the recommendations. I think I'll buy their first albums with Eno because everyone seems to think those are the best.

Thanks guys Tongue

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 01:15
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Hello,

My father recently borrowed a Roxy Music DVD from one of his friends. One night, I came home from a party (drunk) and my father was watching it.

I was pretty sleepy and drunk so I'm not sure but I think it was pretty good. The band looked like they didn't take themselves too seriously and their music was quite proggy and overall enjoyable.

The next morning, I logged on to Progarchives to see if they were listed and I was happy to see that they were. However, my question is : Is this band really good or my drunken mind was stupid? If they are good, what albums should I get? What kind of music do they play?

Thanks Tongue

-Bern

You were drunk!!!!

IMO not bad but too bland.

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 03:35
Let's not forget about the live album Viva by Roxy Music, a stunning symphonic rock record featuring a very inspired band with Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin, this is Roxy Music at their pinnacle (mid-Seventies), what a captivating and compelling compositions Clap !
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 03:50
I agree with Erik about the Viva album, I love it!!!!!!!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 03:52
Great taste those Dutchies Wink !
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 15:08
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Let's not forget about the live album Viva by Roxy Music, a stunning symphonic rock record featuring a very inspired band with Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin, this is Roxy Music at their pinnacle (mid-Seventies), what a captivating and compelling compositions Clap !

I bought it in London last week and listened to it this afternoon. It really cooks! Then, besides Eddie Jobson (who recorded quite a few albums with RM), this live features also John Wetton on bass... On Youtube there are three videos with this lineup.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 16:05
Ghostrider and others, you should buy the DVD Roxy Music Musikladen 74/75 featuring an amazing version of Out Of The Blue with mindblowing interplay between the androgyn Jobson on his transparent violin and the macho Wetton on bass, GOOSE BUMPS EVERY TIME!!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 16:10
And cold showers too....Wink Wetton and Jobson together, dark and blond... Hmmm...Heart (no drooling emoticon yet?)

OK, this is a serious forum, and let's talk seriously about music... I saw the DVD in London, but I had to keep the weight of my luggage down, so I'll look for it here in Rome, and if I don't find it I'll get it from Amazon.

I saw RM live in Rome in 1980, and I liked them quite a lot. "Avalon" is a great album indeed, even though easier and poppier than the band's first releases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>