Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarrying contraceptives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Would you let your son/daughter carry one just in case?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [83.33%]
4 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carrying contraceptives
    Posted: July 31 2006 at 04:38
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Couldn't tell if your apology was sincere or not - but let's not quarrel further.  Peace.  Ying Yang Smile

iof it had not been sincereOuch, I would've mentionned the black plague , the bubonic plague and the religion wars as the worst and most sickening diseases of human history >> those have killed many more than the Spanish flu also.Big smile

Just kidding LOL

PeaceWink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well sorry but your post did say this was the worst lethal disease having killed the most humans. In both case this was completely incorrect, but this does not mean we do not have to worry about AIDS, though! Sorry about insulting your intelligenceWink

I said a.) AIDS has killed 25 million people worldwide and b.) it's the worst epidemic in the history of mankind.  Part a) is true, Part b) is false.  What's unfortunate is that this one error on my part was magnified, but was not really central to the point I was trying to make.  It was just that AIDS is still out there, and real.  There are people in this country (USA) that are starting to think AIDS isn't a big deal anymore, and are back to having unprotected promiscuous sex.  Obviously AIDS doesn't hold as much damaging potential as the avian flu, but it's not like it's been eradicated, and one shouldn't think it either doesn't exist or that it's easy to live with by taking various drug "cocktails".

Couldn't tell if your apology was sincere or not - but let's not quarrel further.  Peace.  Ying Yang Smile
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 21:35
Well, as a teen, I've decided to wait until marriage, on religious grounds, but also on personal beliefs, because I've seen careless sex ruin many lives (especially my poor little half brother's.....his mom and my dad hate each other) so I'm not taking any chances. Personally, I don't think I'd let my children carry contraceptives, but I'd also make sure to teach them about what it is, not necessarily using fear tactics though. As a side note, this is all hypothetical because I'm waiting until marriage, and the probability of anyone liking me for any reason at this point is about .001 percent so I may as well go and become a eunuch. (If you can't tell, I really don't care much about sex, whereas a lot of people my age, it's the only thing they think about. These people are called "athletes")

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 05:56

Actually AIDS is a relatively hard virus to transmit! I mean you must screw the person without a condom to get it! That means you must REALLY want to get it badly to have it

For an educated person in the Western world, this seems like it would be the case, however I urge you to view http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_pandemic.

Look on the subsection entitled sub-Saharan Africa.  Look at the infection rates in some of those countries, and then tell me this is not a public health disaster.
>>> I think about 95% of Africans are aware by now , but Males do not want to wear condoms and rape is used as a war weapons >> so infected rapists are also part of the phenomenon and the big number of victims.

ever heard of H5N1???Confused

Yes, there was really no need to insult my intelligence to make your point.  I've only spoken to the worldwide infection rates and worldwide deaths due to AIDS; any comparison of its contagiousness and lethal quickness to other viruses were not made, and are not relevant to my point.

Well sorry but your post did say this was the worst lethal disease having killed the most humans. In both case this was completely incorrect, but this does not mean we do not have to worry about AIDS, though! Sorry about insulting your intelligenceWink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 13:11

Actually AIDS is a relatively hard virus to transmit! I mean you must screw the person without a condom to get it! That means you must REALLY want to get it badly to have it

For an educated person in the Western world, this seems like it would be the case, however I urge you to view http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_pandemic.

Look on the subsection entitled sub-Saharan Africa.  Look at the infection rates in some of those countries, and then tell me this is not a public health disaster.

Yes, there was really no need to insult my intelligence to make your point.  I've only spoken to the worldwide infection rates and worldwide deaths due to AIDS; any comparison of its contagiousness and lethal quickness to other viruses were not made, and are not relevant to my point.

Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 04:49

The health issue aside, realize that even with condoms/BC pills, there is not 100% effectiveness.  So the possibility exists that you/your partner could get pregnant.  Ask yourself if you are willing to accept the risk, and the consequences of that result.  Ask yourself how you feel about abortion.  If more people put some more thought into sex, maybe we wouldn't have all the problems we have in this world (I know, I know, wishful thinking), but please - do NOT think of sex as just harmless fun with no consequences.

Clap It certainly has a huge consequence for the children!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 03:52
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Sean:

You said, "While I respect your celibacy, it is best to try out sex fairly soon in the relationship, because that is a factor that can intervene...into whether to keep going in that relatioh[ship]."

I used to think that way, until I put that very question to a young woman Christian friend of mine who told me that she was going to wait until she was married before having sex.  When I brought up your point, she said, "You could not be more wrong.  If both of you are willing to build a relationship on the things that really matter - love, mutual respect and admiration, companionship, sharing, compromise, humor, shared likes, and even limitd but loving physical affection - and you do this for a year or two or more, how can the sex be anything but great?  Because the physical chemistry was clearly there to begin with, and even if inadequacies or problems exist, you will know how to work through them, where others will simply give up and walk out."  This young lady has the purest and most naīve image of marriage >> she has been reading to many romantic novels and is set up for the greatest of disillusuon >>> how many marriages had to be dissolved for reasons of non-consumption? Even the church resorted to it.  How do you know the person you marry is not some kind of deviant, pervert or simply impotent?

I would add that although economic reasons account for most divorces, it has been estimated that sex is the second most common cause for divorce: because the relationship was built at least partly if not largely (or even primarily) on sex >>> come on!!! what is the percentage of those marriage being built primarily on sex?? less than 5% , maybe!!! , if and when the sex "goes bad," the relationship will suffer disproportionately, especially if the couple does has not developed the "tools" to work through the problem.
 I will challenge this!Wink

1. Economic >> OK I can believe it
2. chronic infidelity or falling in love with another person on one side
3. Tempers not agreeing on anything anymore
4. sex goes bad >> either boredom or illness issues

>>> If the sex was great before marriage, it is likely to remain great after it, unless one becomes bored with the repetition

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 03:39

Let me just say the following:

Think AIDS is no big deal?  AIDS has claimed the lives of 25 million people worldwide - it is the biggest epidemic in the history of mankind.  >>> not quite so! The Spanish flu eradicated up to 36 millions in the aftermath of the first world war in just two years time.

The health issue aside, realize that even with condoms/BC pills, there is not 100% effectiveness.  So the possibility exists that you/your partner could get pregnant.  Ask yourself if you are willing to accept the risk, and the consequences of that result.  Ask yourself how you feel about abortion.  If more people put some more thought into sex, maybe we wouldn't have all the problems we have in this world (I know, I know, wishful thinking), but please - do NOT think of sex as just harmless fun with no consequences.  >>> if people were making love a lot more than making war, the world would be a much safer placeLOL

Sermon over.  Wink ^

^^^^^^^^^^
Sleepy Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!............... you sure?EmbarrassedWink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

A friend and I was talking about this earlier. I would like to hear from the fathers here in the forum.
I  am not for carrying or using contrceptives outside marriage. To be honest, I havent bought or used a condom in my entire 23 years... and yes, I'm still a virgin.. Conservative?? I think I am.
I believe that sex, is  only for married couples (of the oppossite sex)
Now, please, dont get me wrong. I'm not in favor of having premarital sex. And I wouldnt let my son or my daughter carry and/or use contraceptives  out of marriage.
Please keep this clean. No personnal or religious attacks. I just want to know your views.
Thanks!

I agree with the fact that sex is only for married couples and of course I wouldn't let my son neither to carry contraceptives.
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 22:41
Let me just say the following:

Every action has consequences.
Sex is an enormous responsibility with enormous consequences.

If you are going to have sex and are not planning to conceive, protection is obviously essential from not only a pregnancy standpoint but a disease and public health standpoint.  Think AIDS is no big deal?  AIDS has claimed the lives of 25 million people worldwide - it is the biggest epidemic in the history of mankind.

The health issue aside, realize that even with condoms/BC pills, there is not 100% effectiveness.  So the possibility exists that you/your partner could get pregnant.  Ask yourself if you are willing to accept the risk, and the consequences of that result.  Ask yourself how you feel about abortion.  If more people put some more thought into sex, maybe we wouldn't have all the problems we have in this world (I know, I know, wishful thinking), but please - do NOT think of sex as just harmless fun with no consequences.

And if you think having a baby and taking care of it would be easy, I assure you it is not.  Especially for young teens and adults.

Sermon over.  Wink
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 19:44
Maani, I was waiting for you!Hug

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 19:06
Of course.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 18:45
Sean:

You said, "While I respect your celibacy, it is best to try out sex fairly soon in the relationship, because that is a factor that can intervene...into whether to keep going in that relatioh[ship]."

I used to think that way, until I put that very question to a young woman Christian friend of mine who told me that she was going to wait until she was married before having sex.  When I brought up your point, she said, "You could not be more wrong.  If both of you are willing to build a relationship on the things that really matter - love, mutual respect and admiration, companionship, sharing, compromise, humor, shared likes, and even limitd but loving physical affection - and you do this for a year or two or more, how can the sex be anything but great?  Because the physical chemistry was clearly there to begin with, and even if inadequacies or problems exist, you will know how to work through them, where others will simply give up and walk out."

I would add that although economic reasons account for most divorces, it has been estimated that sex is the second most common cause for divorce: because the relationship was built at least partly if not largely (or even primarily) on sex, if and when the sex "goes bad," the relationship will suffer disproportionately, especially if the couple does has not developed the "tools" to work through the problem.

Ghost Rider:

You said, "I refuse to think that two people...who live together without being married, but loving, respecting and supporting each other, are inferior to those who have had works said over them be a priest or town official."

What most people don't realize is that "traditional" marriage - i.e., one that includes a marriage "license" - is really a "legal contract" between three parties: the husband, the wife and the state.  I would agree with you in that regard.  However, as a minister, I will not marry two people who I am not convinced are entering into marriage for the correct reasons, with the proper understanding of what it means to love each other "for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part."  However, if I am convinced of this after meeting with the couple a few times prior to the wedding, then I will marry them whether or not they choose to get a formal marriage license.  Because for me, obviously, it is far more important that they understand what it means to be married in God's sight than in the state's.

Peace.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

For Hugues (sorry not to quote all of your message, but Ivan's style is not for me!Wink): >>> great I do not think this site is ready for a female Ivān The TerribleLOL

I agree on many of the things you said, and also on the fact that women nowadays are trying to imitate the worst sides of men. I have also suffered a lot at the hands of women - obviously not in a romantic or sexual sense (I've always been into men only), but in such situations as the workplace or even friendship, so I know that women can be as mean as men, and even worse.

I'm no man-basher by any means: I love being in the company of men, and I prefer them as friends and colleagues. That said, I can't forget those who hurt me or made me feel inadequate for most of my life. As to women "crying for sensitive men" and then falling for j***s, I've never been one of these. I'm an extremely honest person and I've never been attracted by macho types. I've also never fled from somebody who said he loved me, if I loved him in return. One thing you can believe about me: I've never played any games with men, as I don't do in any kind of relationship. I'm about as open and honest as you can find, and you would realise it immediately should you meet me in person (which I hope will happen soon Wink).

Hoping to meet you soon, yo!

Of course when I make these statement, they are general , and certainly not aimed at the few women present on our forums.

The last thing I would want is to aleniate them and have this place becoming a male pigsty Pig

UUuurrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!........... Shocked

Just the thought of an all male place, with dirty clothes hanging all over the plce, last month's dishes still waitong to be done and the stained Penthouse magsDead

YYYyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................Ouch

Long live women!!!Heart

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE LOVES YOU

Fly Jefferson airplane, won't you fly?

ClapCoolStarThumbs Up

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:43
For Hugues (sorry not to quote all of your message, but Ivan's style is not for me!Wink):

I agree on many of the things you said, and also on the fact that women nowadays are trying to imitate the worst sides of men. I have also suffered a lot at the hands of women - obviously not in a romantic or sexual sense (I've always been into men only), but in such situations as the workplace or even friendship, so I know that women can be as mean as men, and even worse.

I'm no man-basher by any means: I love being in the company of men, and I prefer them as friends and colleagues. That said, I can't forget those who hurt me or made me feel inadequate for most of my life. As to women "crying for sensitive men" and then falling for j***s, I've never been one of these. I'm an extremely honest person and I've never been attracted by macho types. I've also never fled from somebody who said he loved me, if I loved him in return. One thing you can believe about me: I've never played any games with men, as I don't do in any kind of relationship. I'm about as open and honest as you can find, and you would realise it immediately should you meet me in person (which I hope will happen soon Wink).
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:00

I think parents should not scare their children into not having sex. Sex is beautiful ( again ) when it is done within marriage IMO. Youngsters nowadays get all impulsive and stuff and jump right at the opportunity of having it. specially with the protection we now have.In the end, they just get hurt. Jumping from one sexual relationship to another. For me, if youre not ready for the result of sex, even if you think that it is the right thing to do at that time, if youre not ready-- then better not do it. Parents play a very imprtant role here, I think all of us will agree. 
Not forcing anything though.Tongue

MM, I can understand your point of view (that's what the Catholic Church preaches, and I have it practically on my doorstep...), but I can't say I share it. There are a myriad shades of gray between the black of promiscuity and the white of marriage. I refuse to think that two people (be they of different genders or of the same) who live together without being married, but loving, respecting and supporting each other, are inferior to those who have had words said over them by a priest or a town official.Agreed. But, why wouldnt they marry given all the reasons? I tell you this because I know of many such couples, which often show each other more respect and faithfulness than many married ones. I could tell you more from my own personal experience, but this is something I prefer not to share in a public forum.
Smile
I didnt know youre female untill I read your real (?) name Ma'am!Smile
Differences in opinions and beliefs are healthy. I celebrate it with you.Hug

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 04:01

Hugues, yours is the point of view of a decent human being, who respects others as well as himself. >> surely that is a majority of the people you desctibe here. The point of having sex with another person is to share pleasure (this means reciprocated pleasure or else there will not be a second or next time).

You'd be surprised at the number of people who use sex to harm others - and I'm not talking about rape (which has nothing to do with sex, anyway). Having sex with somebody who is in love with you when you are not is a wonderful way of hurting them, especially when you can't be honest about that from the very beginning. >>> well this lack of honesty is also understandable, since one is often afraid of opening up to the other >> especially with today's women: tell them you love them a bit too quickly (by being sensitive) and you find that they will flee!

While women cry out for sensitive men, I actually think they are out for the strong type that can be sensitive once in a whilm and not the sensitive men that can be occasionally strong. This double language from women is quite confusing , but the women do not control who they are attracted to, but generally it is jerks they fall for, and the "nice guys" can f**k off (unfortunately only figuratively speakingCryWink)

This is why I tend to endorse Bhikkhu's views, which are quite rare in men, and nowadays also in women. I think I told you once that the sad thing is that women are trying to be the equal of men by imitating the men's worst sides (love, driving, opportunist careers, kick boxing etc...) and this is only making them wrong about it

It's not moralism, but rather a moral issue - to me, immorality is making others suffer. I hold these views because I've suffered a lot in the past because of men's dishonest behaviour.  Highly biased comment , sister >>> women are just as dishonnest and even more manipulative re: sex and love than men are. And they know the formulas well: the way to a man's body is through his balls, but the way to his heart is through his stomach >>> the only one of those female proverbs I see fit to print here Wink

And I could write a book about the appreciation thing... If you mean "fancy", that's one thing - pure physical chemistry. Appreciation goes deeper, and involves other aspects than the purely physical.  >>> if you are talking of deceiving the other just in terms to be able to screw him or her, then you get into another debate, we are talking of consenting adults with reasonably honesty  >> this is still over 90% of the population.

But this concerns only a small part of males which have predatory instincts and usually hang out in disco and bars. But are the women hanging out in such places not yet aware and therefore willing toplay that game . Therefore we are spaking of consenting adults also

That said, I agree with you that it's best to try sex soon in a relationship, unless one is only interested in only having a spiritual bond with their partner.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 00:15

I think parents should not scare their children into not having sex. Sex is beautiful ( again ) when it is done within marriage IMO. Youngsters nowadays get all impulsive and stuff and jump right at the opportunity of having it. specially with the protection we now have.In the end, they just get hurt. Jumping from one sexual relationship to another. For me, if youre not ready for the result of sex, even if you think that it is the right thing to do at that time, if youre not ready-- then better not do it. Parents play a very imprtant role here, I think all of us will agree. 

MM, I can understand your point of view (that's what the Catholic Church preaches, and I have it practically on my doorstep...), but I can't say I share it. There are a myriad shades of gray between the black of promiscuity and the white of marriage. I refuse to think that two people (be they of different genders or of the same) who live together without being married, but loving, respecting and supporting each other, are inferior to those who have had words said over them by a priest or a town official. I tell you this because I know of many such couples, which often show each other more respect and faithfulness than many married ones. I could tell you more from my own personal experience, but this is something I prefer not to share in a public forum.
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 19:12

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 18:59

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

I have a different view now. Although I still don't think marriage is neccessary, I do believe that two people should be absolutely sure that it is the right thing to do. There are many emotions involved, and it is very easy for someone to get hurt. For this reason, I have been celibate for almost four years. I do not wish to cause any harm. That includes myself. When I meet someone, and I am sure it is the right thing to do, this period will be over.      

Uuuhhh!!..........Confused

Sex is meant to please not harm. especially when the two individual appreciate each other.

Just thought I'd remind you of this.Wink

While I respect your celibacy, it is best to try out sex fairly soon in the relationship, because that is a factor that can intervene (inadequacies, strong distastes , simply bad physical chemistry >> which is possible even when the characterial chemistry is fine) into whether to keep going in that relation.

Generally nobody is having sex with someone the do not appreciate (outside the prostitution thing) at least quite a bit!!! or else, they are masochists (and THAT my friend is a whole other debate)

Clap

I think parents should spend more time trying to explain sex and how it is shouldn't be taken lightly but not avoided instead of trying to sacre them and make it appear as some sort of satantic ritual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>