FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Battle of Evermore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Evermore
    Posted: July 30 2006 at 03:15
This is one Led Zeppelin song I have always liked as it reminds me of something out of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings as does Ramble on. What is you're opinion of these songs.Big smile 

Edited by Australian - July 30 2006 at 03:16
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 03:22
Battle of Evermore - Great Song wit hamazing mandolin from John Paul Jones!
Rable On - Nothing Special, just a filler to me.

My Personal Favourites:
Dazed And Confused - I have always loved this song. I looove the violin bow guitar solo!
The Lemon Song - Zeppelin at their Bluesy Best.
That's The Way - Beautiful Song. Reminds me of when the winter changes to spring.
Going To California - Same as Above
Tangerine - Gives a wonderful feeling, and it's beautiful
Kashmir - Wonderfu,l heavy, trippy and dark!
Achilles Last Stand - Simply great!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 03:28
As a Tolkien expert (at the moment I'm working on a translation of a book of criticism on him... and I don't feel like working at all!Unhappy), I can tell that in both the songs you mentioned there are references to characters of The Lord of the Rings, but nothing more than that.

That said, "The Battle of Evermore" is stunning, one of the best examples of folk-rock ever, with Robert Plant's and Sandy Denny's voices blending seamlessly and magically, and of course that lovely, lilting mandolin sound. "Ramble On" is nothing near as impressive, though rather a good song in its own merit. Talking of folk rock and Zep, though, I think a special mention should go to the rousing "Gallows Pole", from their third album.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 04:49
I read somewhere that The Battle of Evermore did refer to one of the battles from Lord of the Rings. Both The Queen of Light and the Prince of Peace are characters from LOTR, as well as the obvious Ring Wraiths reference. I can't remember the details now but I will look them up. Great song.
"Ramble On" is one of my favourite Led Zep songs, one of the most simple yet beautiful guitar solos ever.
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 07:35
You all have similar opinions to me, excellent. Big smile

Edited by Australian - July 30 2006 at 07:36
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:40
You're right about the "Lord of the Rings" connection, Australian, for those who don't know in "Ramble On" Robert sings.....

"How years ago in days of old
When magic filled the air.
T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor
Mm-I met a girl so fair,
But Gollum and the evil one
Crept up an' slipped away with her - her-yeah,
Ah an' there ain't nothin' I can do no....."

and in "The Battle of Evermore" it goes...

"The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath.
The drums will shake the castle wall.
The ring wraiths ride in black. Ride on."

other songs may include "Misty Mountain Hop", "Over the Hills and Far Away"

The figure in the above picture from "Led Zeppelin IV","The Hermit," is a card from the Rider-Wait Tarot Deck. Led Zeppelin may have seen similarities between the card and Gandalf from the Tolkien trilogy. He is pictured looking down on Bag End, making sure that Frodo is safe from Dark forces.

On the subject of "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit", i read these books back in 1971 and can highly recommend them - I saw the films, but though i was blown away by the graphics, scenery and the battle scenes i found it rather different to what i had imagined, the film versions seemed a bit "twee", i creased up in embarrassment at those talking/walking trees.....anybody agree with that? 

further reading.......

Edited by mystic fred - July 30 2006 at 11:45
Prog Archives Tour Van
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 12:02
Do you really want me to do a bit of self-promotion? When I was in England, I participated in two events where I presented two different papers on Tolkien. I have  a few things coming up for publication in the next few months, and in English too.

*end of self-advertisement*

What I wanted to say before, though, is that in those songs there are only disconnected references to LotR, mostly names - in the book, Gollum is not interested in girls in the least! BTW, Fred, I quite agree with your analysis of the films - I liked them a lot, but they are in no way comparable to the book.
acheron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Battle of Evermore - Great Song wit hamazing mandolin from John Paul Jones!
Rable On - Nothing Special, just a filler to me.

My Personal Favourites:
Dazed And Confused - I have always loved this song. I looove the violin bow guitar solo!
The Lemon Song - Zeppelin at their Bluesy Best.
That's The Way - Beautiful Song. Reminds me of when the winter changes to spring.
Going To California - Same as Above
Tangerine - Gives a wonderful feeling, and it's beautiful
Kashmir - Wonderfu,l heavy, trippy and dark!
Achilles Last Stand - Simply great!

Jimmy Page played the mandolin for Battle of evermore

but that is one of my favorite Zeppelin tracks along with 'the rain song', 'no quarter' (Zeppelin's most prog. song), 'Achilles Last Stand', 'The rover', and 'in my time of dying'

I have a feeling a lot of prog fans look down on Zeppelin, but Zeppelin started it all, give them a try, especially the albums, Zeppelin IV, Physical Graffiti, Presence, Houses of the Holy (those are their more prog. influenced albums, but every Zep. album is amazing, except 'in through the out door') 

also John Paul Jones solo albums are pretty solid if you guys are into Jeff Beck like guitar rock albums, mixed with beautiful mandolin, acoustic guitar, piano ballads,  "Thunderthief" is a really good record
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 14:23
JPJ has been proposed for inclusion in PA, and hopefully he will be soon. Probably the most accomplished musician in the band, even if the others took much more of the spotlight. And this prog fan definitely doesn't look down on Zep... one of my favourite bands of all time.
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 05:44
I just discoverd that there is also a son on Jon Anderson's In Elven Lands: The Fellowship, very interesting.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 09:46
I prefer Ramble On over The Battle of Evermore, but both are great, and the latter shows off Zep's proggy side.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 09:53
BTW, the proggiest LZ track is probably the marvellous "No Quarter" - the live version from "The Song Remains the Same" is nothing short of stunning!
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:08
I like "No Quarter". When I was a Pink Floyd liker I used to found the similarity in sound between the regular PF sound and the sound of this song.

Whereas I like the studio version of "No Quarter", there's a live version on Page/Plant live album (called No Quarter -- are you acquainted with this?) -- I like it even more than the studio version.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:23
I do know the "No Quarter" album, and I also own it - haven't listened to it for some time, though. I agree with you that the studio version, while undeniably good, is not a patch on the live version, with John Paul Jones going to town with organ and other keyboards.

Oddly enough, this reminds me of another similar case involving one of my favourite songs of all time, Blue Oyster Cult's "Veteran of the Psychic Wars", whose live version on Extraterrestrial Live is far superior to the studio version.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:32
Sorry, but I think you're mistaken -- there's no JPJ in Plant/Page "Egyptian" (or "Moroccan"?) album. The full name -- No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded.

Well, it's actually both Egyptian and Moroccan.

And the version of Nobody's Fault But Mine on this album is far superior to the studio version, for me, of course.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:34
I think you might have misunderstood me. JPJ plays organ and other keys on "The Song Remains the Same". Now that I come to think of it, my post just asked for being misunderstood...Unhappy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:39
Indeed. But nevermind.

And again, Nobody's Falt But Mine is just great when played live...
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:15
'Ramble On' is one of my all time favourite Zep tracks- it shows how far ahead they were of the hard rock pack as its a folky beauty with some gorgeous guitar work from Jimmy Page and a laid back groove that's intoxicating.

'The Battle Of Evermore' is in a similar vein yet is even folkier. As a huge fan of folk from this era, it's a joy to have this kind of song on a rock album- shows the diversity of the era superbly where rock fans could accept all kinds of music.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:22
Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

This is one Led Zeppelin song I have always liked as it reminds me of something out of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings as does Ramble on. What is you're opinion of these songs.Big smile 

Battle of Evermore is the only Zeppelin song that really has held on to me, puberty killed off the rest of Zeppelin for me... BoE? .... it's a thing of beauty.  Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 01:26
The aforementioned Plant/Page live "Egyptian-Moroccan" album is partly a kind of ethnic (read -- folk) music. This proves the sentence stating the folkier leanings of Led Zeppelin alongside their blues-hard-rock nature. The song from which the thread got started, The Battle of Evermore, is one of the examples of that. I want to mention another "folk" LZ song -- Gallows Pole (LZ III), which I always liked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>