FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpost-rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: post-rock
    Posted: December 23 2004 at 03:46

Ok, now that I checked out GYBE, Mogwai and explosions in the sky, I'd really like to know more about the post-rock bands. Are those 3 the top bands or are there comparable or even better ones? You guys said something about slint in another thread, but is their musc really similar?

I also have some Tortoise stuff, it's not bad either

Seems like I've found a second favourite genre.... But I think post-rock may even be a subgenre of prog, is it?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 05:11
Post Rock is absolutely huge, it's an offshoot of indie really but obviously entirely different. Although they're not much like the ones yo've listened to I'd give Sonic Youth a listen. While they have some more mainstream albums a lot of their stuff is pretty out there. I don't know which albums to try, however since I only have the odd mp3.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 05:12
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 08:57
Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

Ok, now that I checked out GYBE, Mogwai and explosions in the sky, I'd really like to know more about the post-rock bands. Are those 3 the top bands or are there comparable or even better ones? You guys said something about slint in another thread, but is their musc really similar?

I also have some Tortoise stuff, it's not bad either

Seems like I've found a second favourite genre.... But I think post-rock may even be a subgenre of prog, is it?

Slint are the god fathers of post rock, formed in 1987 and even though they had a very short career they influenced nearly all of the post rock bands of today. Their album Spiderland is probably one of the most famous post rock albums and some say its overatted. Slint stripped down music then built it up to a wall of sound using complex unconventional guitar techniques with a kind of fuzzed out drone back ground, they were the masters of the quiet/ loud noise and vocals too.

Check out A Silver Mt Zion or for some lo-fi post rock then David Pajo (former slint member) band Papa M.

As much as I love Post-rock I don't think it should be classed as a sub-genre of Prog. A lots of Post -rock bands touch too much on other genres like Math-rock and Noise-rock to be prog. I think Tortoise is probably the closest  post-rock band to prog though.

Now don't get me started on Math rock either..

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 10:34

I'm not a fan of what I've heard from Tortoise or Slint, but it does kinda remind me of Krautrock from time to time.

I hghly recommend Sigur Ros.

Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 11:22

There aren't too many bands who 'sound like' the Big Three, but Mogwai owe a huge debt of gratitude to Slint (though they also claim Black Sabbath as a major influence...!) Nuff said about them already.

Sigur Ros (the guy plays his guitar with a violin bow a la Page, but creates a totally different chilled ambience - you wont get the loud bang if you know what I mean).

Wilco are definitely worth checking out, especially their second album.  Quite Krautrocky - long tracks, some completely instrumental - Pavement meets Can

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (like Explosions, they're from Texas, and very loud, but with some excellent songs and nice quiet bits to lull you in....)

Arab Strap - some tracks actually SOUND like Mogwai, and many have Mogwai members playing on them.  More song-based than Mogwai, but definitely heading into the post-rock realm.  As I said on another similar thread, try and get their live stuff first.  You will already have heard Arab's singer Aidan Moffat on Young Team, whilst the guitarist also contributes to tracks on several Mogwai albums.  I saw them play together in Edinburgh a few years back, and it still ranks as one of the best shows I've seen.

German band Neu! are also worth a listen, as co-pioneers of this style of music.  They often just get lumped under the generic label of Kraut Rock, but I think there is more modern-day influence in their first few albums than people are willing to acknowledge. 

Happy Xmas

Edited by Wrath_of_Ninian
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 23:06

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I'd look into Sigur Ros for sure.  Also check out the various GYBE side projects like A Silver Mt. Zion, Fly Pan Am, Do Make Say Think, 1 Speed Bike and Valley of the Giants (to name a few)

BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 05:29

ok, seems like there are very many post rock bands.... Well, im looking forward to discovering that!

@petra: there's something called math-rock? I need to give that a listen... please tell me one good album

Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 08:24
Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

ok, seems like there are very many post rock bands.... Well, im looking forward to discovering that!

@petra: there's something called math-rock? I need to give that a listen... please tell me one good album

Okay,  well try Shellac's album 1000 Hurts or June of 44's album Tropics and Meridians. Math/ Noise rock is a combination of punk and post- rock.

Look at this brilliant site, it has free downloads! I love the reviews on this site they have me literally laughing out loud.

http://www.epitonic.com/index.html

This how they describe 'My Lia' another Math-rock band

Mindblowingly amazing instrument playing will bring you to the brink of doing personal physical harm to yourself as you plow head first through the only downloadable song on this site that might require notification of your local bomb squad before you unwrap it.

There are so many vicious guitars it will leave blisters on your fingers. There are so many obtuse and brutal drum parts that will leave even more blisters on your fingers. The vocals and their blend of a shriek and a growl will definitely make you want to punch a couple of holes in the wall.

Now we caution you because this will probably cause you to break a few bones in the hand, but hey it will make you forget those blisters.

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 13:30
Shellac math rock? I thought math rock was more techy than that. Shellac are pretty nice though.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 14:01

Sea and Cake are well worth checking out.They are 'related' to Tortoise inasmuchas members of that band
produce and play on their records.Thats where the similarity ends.Also,Salaryman's 2 albums are superb.

Early post-rock bands circa late 80s early 90s that are
also worth investigating are Bitch Magnet/Seam,Bastro and
Nice Strong Arm.

British post-rock bands, and I include Stereolab in this,
are quite thin on the ground.Mogwai have been mentioned
as well as Arab Strap.Try looking out for the 3 Fiend albums(Fiend,2,3/(Krautrockish) and Telstar Ponies.

There is quite a bit out there.some good,some average,some awful.

Happy Hunting

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
project23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 21:36
Don Caballero is a good one.
Matt0001 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 19:56
If you haven't heard Spiritualized, you definitely should. Try the albums "Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space," and "Pure Phase." Very atmospheric and sometimes very noisy, but always great. And the band Spiritualized came out of--Spacemen 3--is a definite precursor to post-rock. Spacemen 3/Spiritualized could possibly be called the fathers of the genre.

And Radiohead--yes they are chart-topping rock gods, but their last four albums are incredible. If you have not heard Kid A or OK Computer, well, it's almost as bad as not having heard Sgt Peppers.

Some more bands--Low. Not proggy, not necessarily post-rock, but very very good. Simple, slow, austere, beautiful songs. Try "Things We Lost in the Fire."

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 19:57
Yeah from Low the track "Sunflower" is lovely.
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 20:35
Oooh I loved Spacemen 3 their version of 13th Floor Elevators track 'Rollercoaster' is just amazing! I agree Spiritulized are well worth a mention too.
Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
 Post Reply Post Reply