FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRiverside at the gothic castle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riverside at the gothic castle
    Posted: July 30 2006 at 18:04
You would not believe what just happened to me.... I've just seen one of the hottest prog acts of our times, Riverside, in the vicinity of my home (about 32 km)... There is a goth music festival, Castle Party, which is set at the ruins of medieval castle in Bolkow, which town is located amidst the hills and forest. So, an event not for especially prog audience, the streets were crowded with girls and black lingerie, disguised as dominas, witches and fairies. But I think that our Baldies will beat them with originality...
Yet reception of audience was surprisingly warm, even at the sound test, when the crowd enthusiastically reacted for organ intro to DP's "Perfect Strangers". Riverside started with great hit, Conceiving You, with slightly different intro, quoting a hommage to sadly deceased Syd Barrett - should I really give you a name of that song? Ok, it was of course Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which caused another cheer from the crowd. Then came Out Of Myself, Second Life Syndrome, after which singer claimed, that they have never played in such beautiful scenery, not to mention the audience, and from now on they are different band (to which I answered by screaming "No way").
it was only an hour of beautiful prog, with special contribution of guitarist Piotr Grudziński, his long solos causing the goth ladies and gentleman to clap their hands and roars of applause. Needless to say, that when they played a bit harder, more thrashy, the audience was in heaven. But the calm intros also made them dance slowly.
Riverside ended their regular set with "Courtain Falls", but the courtain has not fallen yet. After chants "Riverside" they did an encore, in the end of which each member of the group, one after another, starting with Piotr, left his instrument, greeted the audience, and walked out of the stage, till it was empty, which was the sign, that the gig is finally over.
It was great thing to watch them in the ruins of the castle, with only a lawn as chairs, and with only few hundreds of people watching. I bet that even Robert Fripp would be satisfied with special circumstances. It was 25 euro very well spent. 
yet you still have time!
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 18:09
Saw them live too, must have been great in such a setting!!!!!
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 18:18
You've seen a hell of a show, I could only dream of something like that.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 18:26
Wow, sounds really coolThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 23:50
That sounds amazing, perhaps, ethereal.   beautifull women set amidst a gothic fortress nestled within the depths of the Polish hinterland complemented with beutiful yet melancholy music of Riverside.  A far depature from the venues I watch shows at.  You are lucky. 
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 09:48
The only drawback is that I have not taken any photos (especially of the ladies), since only camera available was the one built within my mobile phone, and its tiny, therefore forget about the quality, and the gallery of the festival itself is not ready yet.
yet you still have time!
 Post Reply Post Reply