FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvice on Yes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on Yes
    Posted: December 23 2004 at 21:22
Hey everyone. I bought Yes' Close to the Edge & Fragile a couple of years ago...I love CTTE (although I found it tough for a new prog fan like myself to get into...Fragile I found even tougher!). But I've been reading reviews of Relayer and Tales from the Topographic Oceans, and was wondering what your opinions are. I've heard many remark that even hardcore Yes fans find Tales tough going, but I'm always wary of what other people say because I often find my tastes differ quite a bit. In short, I am interested in getting the 2 albums, but am a bit unsure...does anyone have any guidance? Thanks! :)
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 21:28
Get the Yes Album first. Listen to it, along with CTTE and Fragile. Once you have a base, you understand and LIKE what you are hearing.... Then, and only then, buy TFTTO and Relayer. Actually, I'd work on Going for the One and Drama first, if you can't get enough, jump on the Topographic train.   
the musical box View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 21:39
Relayer is great and so is Topgraphic oceans im sure, but if you cant get into Fragile or CTTE, i wouldnt push your luck
something pretentious
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 21:53
well get the yes album thats like fragile and cctf. the problem is that all of the rest of yeses albums dont sound quite like these. but everybody should have the 3 epic albums of yes with is cttf., relayer, and going for the one. each of them has an epic song on them. they all are amazing.
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 22:24
I like danbo's advice, Relayer is awesome, if you like
CTTE you should get it, Tales of Topographic
Oceans aint great, but with time it is accessible.

Follow danny boy to the REDRUM!!!

need your animations Reed!
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 22:30
Go for "The Yes Album"... it will probably already sound a bit familiar to you... making it easier to get into...
THIS IS ELP
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 01:13

For me, it was Fragile first (I wanted to listen to Roundabout I guess, was the only Yes song I knew at the time), then CTTE (probably my favorite). I bought  the Yes album next, I love it, but didn't get the satisfaction I did out the the first two. I think TFTO is an incredible achievement for Yes, easily my 2nd favorite album of theirs. The thing is, you have to give albums like that a chance, just one run-through and you will think "It was good, but too ambitious for Yes"; Relayer on the other hand, is along the same lines as CTTE, but not as good. I really really love The Gates of Delirium, but the track on that album for me is Sound Chaser, every member does a really good job on that (Squire and White stand out the most).

If you want a good experience, buy both of them, but give TFTO a few listens through before making any conclusions, it is a album for hardcore Yes fans. Relayer I would recommend to anyone who liked CTTE, just know that you aren't getting the insane Wakeman keyboard solos or the Bruford drum beats that we all know and love.

illustrated View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 01:38

I find Fragile very easy to listen to, and an amazing album, probably my favorite from Yes... But I had listened to and bought CTTE before that, and I'm still finding it very hard to get into. I enjoy it, for the most part. I think the title track is the highlight, though I'm not big on the section "I get up, I get down". 'And You and I' and 'Siberian Khatru' are good, but I'm finding them difficult to be amazed by. It seems a bit off considering the insane number of prog fans who love this album to death (87% on this site have given it 5 star ratings). Anyway, I bought Relayer recently and I have to say that 'The Gates of Delerium' was by itself worth getting, for me.

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 02:23

I've started Yes with DRAMA, when I was 14. After a half a year there was the 2nd one - just RELAYER, and I've got into it just after the 1st time (SOON-part of THE GATES OF DELIRIUM has got me!).

But TALES was really hard to get into for me - though now it's my favorite album by Yes...

I Prophesy Disaster...
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 07:36
Jeeez the loves of my life music wise, but if you have got CTTE and Fragile then I believe you will in time come to love Relayer which when first out I couldn't stop listening to and Tales a truly wonderful Yes album that will have you  continually remebering hook lines all day long with Steve's guitar to the fore throughout.The Yes album is the gem that ignited the onslaught of magnificent music.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 09:03

Relayer is like a dark mirror image of CTTE, and IMO contains some of the best studio playing ever by Howe, Squire and White - on 'Sound Chaser' Howe sounds more like he lives on a diet of raw steak than macrobiotic healthfoods.

'Tales..' contains some superb passages of music, mostly on disc 1, but as a whole it's a bit rambling and incoherent - apparently Wakeman has said that if it had been recorded as a single CD it could have been a masterpiece, which may well be true.

'Going For The One' is also well worth a listen, a good, varied set and IMO the last truly worthwhile Yes studio album.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

plodder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 09:18
Tales From Topographic Oceans is my favoutite Yes Album. I was lucky enough to see them tour with it.

I don't see any reason why you can't just listen to any album at any time. I don't go along with certain album being for "hardcore" fans.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 10:14

I'm gonna say here what I said in the ELP vrs Yes thread...

I think the best place to start getting to know any band is always at the beginning.  The ability to chart a band's growth and see their progression thru the years in some ways defines who they are.

With Yes... altho I don't like Time and A Word... starting from "The Yes Album" and working your way thru their catalog from there... would be the appropriate way to do it, I think!

You don't really know a band until you see how they've progressed musically.  I know I feel luckier that I was actually there when both ELP and Yes were first around and I started with the Nice and  King Crimson's first.. into ELP... which was like a progression of them musically.  I started with the Yes Album.. then got Time and a Word... which I didn't like.  Maybe if I had started with  A Time and a Word.. and worked up to The Yes Album... I might of liked it better...but I loved Fragile which was like a sequel to The Yes Album....

Just a thought.

THIS IS ELP
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 11:02

sometimes you are going to love Tales... sometimes you will be bored by it, sometimes you will think it is alright. 

Relayer just contains Gates of Delerium, which is the best song in the history of the world, so yeah, you should pick up that album

Aaron

Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 01:22
Frankly, not only should you absolutely get Relayer and Tales from
Topographic Oceans, but also The Yes Album and Going for the One. Also
check out Tormato and Drama. And after you get all those albums,
prepare yourself to get lost in each album's distinct mood, style, and
personality. While each is completely different from the another, they all
retain a very distinct Yes quality.
Sound Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 02:48
Get the Yes Album and Going for the one. Then Relayer then Tales. The Yes Album and Going for the One are easy to get into. Relayer is easy to get into as well but it's better if you go with the other two first. After that if you're not sick of yes get Tales.
Radiolaria View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2004 at 14:10
Tales From Topographic Oceans is my first and so far ONLY Yes album.

I'm fifteen going on sixteen, and although I haven't heard it all yet,
to use British slang, I "lurve" it.

And methinks we should have a pinned thread about the diff branches of
prog.
When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 21:38
In addition to all the great Yes albums we've mentioned above, you might
also want to check out Keystudio and Magnification. Both give a good
glimpse of Yes in the mid-90s and 2001. And if you want to explore
some solo work from the members of Yes, don't miss out on Chris
Squire's effort, Fish Out Of Water, or Jon Anderson's, Animation. Both are
fantastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply