Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed70's French Prog Chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 21:45
I have Dashiell Hedayatt's first album La Devanture des Ivresses. Which I have heard is the insuperior of the two albums they produce. The band sticks true to it space rock name and draws huge influence from Gong (which is not surprising considering Daevid Allen contribution), while still making very unique music. For a more indepth reivew read Seans words on their second album Obsolete. I have heard nothing but good thoughts about this album and plan to pick it up sometime soon.

Both Art Zoyd and Etron Fou Leloublan come from the RIO side of the story. I have heard little of Etron Fou Leloublan. But they were one of the important 5 originating bands in the '78 march. They are quite well know, so I hope somebody will give you a discription of their music as I have only heard sound samples.

As for Art Zody I own pretty much most of what they have released. From their first album in '76 till the late '80s they produce some of the best Chamber rock music around, focusing highly on the rhythmic ideals of music. The best place to start with this band would be their first three release, which are outstanding. They coming on a boxset with contain extra bonus material and a nice booklet to go hand in hand.

Just a warning with Art Zoyd. A lot of people are turned off by their later material, so this is definately not the place to start. They begun to focus more on the art side of movie compositions and electronic media. I still really like this side of Art Zoyd but it is definately not something everybody is going to like.

Hope this helps.    
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 03:28

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 07:48
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 13:20
thanks that help alot, Betjabetch and Dashiell Hedayatt sound interesting and its been 20 years since I have heard Art Zoyd but need to give them another spin. 
markj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by slowfire85 slowfire85 wrote:

Do any of you listen to Flamen Dialis?

Very obscure (I wrote the booklet copy), extremely rare LP, very poorly distributed when originally released -- the original album was on a French "do it yourself" label, and the group lived quite a distance from any major city (Brittany, I think it was), so it just sort of vanished on release -- the album's pretty dark and has a distinct "home made" feel to it. Several "folk" musicians joined in for the recording, bringing a variety of instruments that aren't normal in the prog world - bombarde is one I remember - I still think of this as "avant prog naif".

The main guy was in the process of completing a second album -- I haven't heard it, but my partner at MIO was sent a cassette recording and didn't like it at all.
markj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

are you familar with any of the more obscure artists I have listed? looking for CD releases from Richard Vimal, Patrick Vian, Hydravion, Georges Grunblatt, JPhilippe Goude and JPierre Alarcen. seen them around anywhere in Vive la France?

Hydravion's a Philippe Besombes project he started after "Cesi est cela" and the one that made him "famous" - sold very well in France, and most or all the tracks from the album were used as program music for French television programs, it's not yet on CD. Both the Hydravion albums are very repetative and not terribly interesting (better Besombes are his "solo" albums, particularly Pole and Esombesombes - or Cesi est cela, as it was released on MIO - which are still available). JP Goude's one "prog" album is "Drones" (probably still available on Musea), which is pretty zeuhl-influenced. Goude's more interesting work (for me) tends to be his soundtracks, of which he's done a lot -- these are instrumental "chamber rock" works (in fact, he's actually got a disk called "Rock de Chambre"), all of which I'd heartily recommend, especially RdC and "La Divine Nature des Choses". His new stuff's being released in France on Hopi Mesa  (Henry Torgue's also on the label.  Check him out, too.)

The Grunblatt's not on CD, either. It's a short album - maybe half an hour - and pretty, but sorta inconsequential, although I like it quite a bit.

Alarcens "Tableau No. 1" came out on CD a couple years ago on Baillemont.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 15:38
thanks Marki,
good information and helps me to pinpoint those worth seeking out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 17:20
great review on Archaia Yukorin, real Zeuhl music
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 17:54
I feel the need to say at this stage that not only is Ange "Guet-Apens" my favorite French album of all time (along with Serge Gainsbourg's Melodie Nelson, and Air's Virgin Suicides), it's probably in my top 30 albums ever.  The 14 minute Cap'taine Couer De Miel also features one of my fave guitar solos.  Plus I stole the ending for a Porcupine Tree song called "Burning Sky"!

Au Revoir,
SW

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 19:24
Salut swilson,

I love Guet-Apens as well and find it to be their best alongside Emile Jacotey.

As for that ending, I knew I heard it elsewhere.... Wink LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 00:34
ordered me a mini run of older french symphonic today that I hadn't yet checked out... looking so forward to hearing them....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:35
anyone familiar with Horriffic Child or Igor Wakhevitch from the 70's? 

Edited by DallasBryan - August 15 2006 at 11:35
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:37
Oh my God, I CANNOT believe i haven't seen anything on this thread relating to Ange.  Sacrilege !!!
Ange is WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT the greatest 70's French prog band.  I URGE you all to get your hands (and ears) on thes following albums : Le cimetière des Arlequins, Au-Delà du Délire, Émile Jacotey et Par les Fils de Mandrin. French prog cannot be mentionned without Ange in the same phrase.  Those into Genesis will undoubtedly love this band. 
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:39
Originally posted by swilson swilson wrote:

I feel the need to say at this stage that not only is Ange "Guet-Apens" my favorite French album of all time (along with Serge Gainsbourg's Melodie Nelson, and Air's Virgin Suicides), it's probably in my top 30 albums ever.  The 14 minute Cap'taine Couer De Miel also features one of my fave guitar solos.  Plus I stole the ending for a Porcupine Tree song called "Burning Sky"!

Au Revoir,
SW

If I am not mistaken, you have mixed a song or two on 'Culinaire Lingus', right?
Ange are great.  My favorite from them is Au-Delà du Délire.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:44
Melo......guess you are familar with Atoll, Arachnoid and Memoriance also? If not you may want to peek over there too!Wink
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:46

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 02:22
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 11:47

Melo......guess you are familar with Atoll, Arachnoid and Memoriance also? If not you may want to peek over there too!Wink

I have heard Atoll, and found them good.  As for the others, I'll take your word for it and try to get my hands on some of their albums.  Thanks a lot for the recommandations !  Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 12:04
Arachnoid's only release is a classic and a good place to start, IMO!

anything French is OK by me! they'll get bored with the symphonic stuff and probably stumble into the greats, not a problem. people like the familiar, but as the familar changes tastes change.

Edited by DallasBryan - August 15 2006 at 12:11
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 12:07
Noted.  I'll start there.  Thanx !
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 12:21

Arachnoid's only release is a classic and a good place to start, IMO!

anything French is OK by me! they'll get bored with the symphonic stuff and probably stumble into the greats, not a problem. people like the familiar, but as the familar changes tastes change.

Just listened to 'Toutes ces Images' from Arachnoid (thank you progarchives for the mp3) and man, it is good.  I'll start my research to buy this album.  Thanks again!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 12:32
the whole album is good, a little derivative of Genesis but not overtly so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>