Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy are drmmers crazy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 21:47

I read somewhere that Pete Townshend of The Who once said that Keith Moon was "the soul of the band". I agree with Townshend. When Moon died, the sound of the band changed a lot, and they disbanded 4 years after Moon died. Kenney Jones, Moon`s replacement, wasn`t  "crazy" as Moon, and his style, while being a good drummer, never fitted in The Who.

I don`t think that John Bonham was "crazy". He was one of the best drummers in Rock. He drank a lot, that`s all. But I don`t think he was hyperactive as Keith Moon was.

I don`t think that all drummers are specially "crazy" or hyperactive. Musicians are "crazy" or not, and I don`t think that it is related to playing an instrument like the drums. Jimi Hendrix in the Monterey Rock Festival in 1967 burned his guitar. Keith Moon and Pete Townshed destroyed their instruments in concerts. Ozzy Osbourne once bit a bat on stage in the 80s. He received several doses of anti-rabies vaccine after doing it! Peter Gabriel likes to "swim" in the audience in his concerts. Gene Simmons spits fire from his mouth in concerts! AC/DC `s lead guitarist Angus Young still uses his school uniform in concerts (he is nearly 50 years old, I think!) and he also shows his nude arse in concerts! Who is more "crazy"?

To be a good drummer, one really needs talent. It is not simply to hit the drums "in random". You need to have rhythm sense, something that many people, some musicians included, lack. It requires good coordination of hands and legs, technique for how to hit the drums and the cymbals, technique for how to take the drumsticks, a lot of practice. Technique for how to hit the bass drum pedal. Even good ears to tune the drums, which, if you don`t have an electronic drum tuner, you have to do it manually using a specially designed key. You also have to learn to do "tinge" sounds: when to play loud and when to play soft, how to improvise when necessary, etc. Drummers also read scores.Some of them also learn to play the piano and other percussion instruments. They are "real musicians" like guitarists, keyboard players, etc. Playing the drums is not like hitting the stew-pans in the kitchen.

Edited by Guillermo
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 22:52
Oh of course, I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I think drumming is easy. I suppose it's one of those things where you see someone do it, and you're like "I bet I can do that!" and you get behind a kit...and ouch. Not quite as facile as one thought.
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 05:38

I remember hearing a great story about Ringo Starr and Paul MaCartney, although I cannot vouch for it's validity.

MaCartney is not usually known for his cutting remarks (usually John's purview) but during the break up of the Beatles, Ringo was quoted in an interview, as saying that he was the best drummer in the world. Paul responded a few weeks later (in another interview) saying:

'Best drummer in the world? He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!'

Heh!

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 07:20
Oooh ouch. But then we'll have to open another thread, and I'm sure it's been done before: who's the best Prog drummer? Carl Palmer or Neil Peart? Any others?
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 08:59
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

I remember hearing a great story about Ringo Starr and Paul MaCartney, although I cannot vouch for it's validity.

MaCartney is not usually known for his cutting remarks (usually John's purview) but during the break up of the Beatles, Ringo was quoted in an interview, as saying that he was the best drummer in the world. Paul responded a few weeks later (in another interview) saying:

Heh!

Paul was referring to himself,obviously since by the late 60's he had passed all the other Beatle members in proficiancy on each of their instruments in turn. He is after all,the only ex-Beatle to release solo albums where he plays all the instruments himself. I'd like to see Ringo attempting that!

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:07
Originally posted by Pixel Pirate Pixel Pirate wrote:

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Heh!

Paul was referring to himself,obviously since by the late 60's he had passed all the other Beatle members in proficiancy on each of their instruments in turn. He is after all,the only ex-Beatle to release solo albums where he plays all the instruments himself. I'd like to see Ringo attempting that!

I have Paul`s "McCartney" album from 1970. He plays all the instruments in that album. At least as a drummer, I still prefer Ringo Starrr. Paul also played the drums in some songs in "The White Album", the double album titled "The Beatles" (in "Back in the U.S.S.R", with also John and George H. on drum parts; "Dear Prudence"). He played good drums in "Dear Prudence", but the drums in "Back in the U.S.S.R" are not very good, in my opinion. Ringo left The Beatles for about 2 weeks during the recording of that album because he was tired of waiting for the rest of the band in the studio. They always arrived hours later after Ringo, and he was tired of waiting. He was finally convinced to return to the band before a T.V. appearance of the band playing "Hey Jude". He was received in the studio with flowers over his drum kit. I read all this information about the "White Album" in Mark Lewisohn`s book "The Beatles:Recording Sessions" (1988).In the same book, producer George Martin praises Ringo`s work, saying that "he was very solid, like a metronome for us, and he rarely did mistakes while playing the drums during the recording sessions" (more or less as I remember). it was more frequently to repeat recording takes due to mistakes done by the other 3 members than by him.

I recently read in a website in the internet http://members.tripod.com/~taz4158/beatles.html

an interview with John Lennon done in 1971. He said that George Harrison and him were tired of being Paul`s sidemen, so they split! Paul`s ego is very big! But in another interview Paul (for Playboy Magazine,  1984, also available in that website) was humble and he ever praised George and Ringo`s work with The Beatles.

Edited by Guillermo
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:18
Are drummers crazy? Two words: Phil Collins. In many cases, the wife of a painter and decorator may leave her husband for somebody more exciting, such as a musician. In Phil Collins' case, the rockstar's wife left him for the decorator. He's a great drummer, but as a wildman he makes John Denver look like Iggy Pop. 
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12