Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 03:29
'Under Pressure'

Queen & David Bowie jumping the shark together

How did they get there, from songs like 'The Prophet Song'?? Then again, how did Genesis get to 'Misunderstanding' from 'Dukes Travels' on the same bloody album!

Now this may be controversial, but I don't think that Pink Floyd have ever succumbed to jumping the shark -

OK, in the late 70s they turned into the mouthpiece for Waters's paranoia, but I do not think the quality of the output ever really dipped (except maybe 'another brick in the wall II', which could have been Waters cynically writing a song specifically as a chart hit, knowing the Xmas number one would be his......). Even when you take 'the final cut' into consideration, this is one of the darkest, most intense albums you'll ever hear - even by Waters's standards...... Notwithstanding this, the playing is top notch, maybe not 'Echoes' style progressive, but certainly not deserving of the critical drubbing it received at the time, and still does in some quarters.

Then we come on to the post-Waters Floyd.

Gilmour obviously made a concious decision to change the sound of the band to avoid comparisons, so in effect launched a completely new band; OK, they haven't exactly been the most prolific band in the world, but the albums they have released have been of the highest quality, if a little sterile, in places.

Their rare forays into the live arena have been spectacular shows, but with little warmth - having said this, though, they are the only one of the old 'greats' who have maintained a huge following without compromising on their (admittedly increasingly rare) musical output.

Their last studio album was 10 years ago - who knows, it may just be time for another one soon....

We can hope.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 10:48

What about David Bowie and Tin Machine. I have a couple of their albums and Reeves Gabrels sometimes reminds me of Fripp`s playing with the 73-74 KC.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 11:24
It was Reeves Gabrels who really kicked Bowie's in the early '90's post Tin Machine & led to his complete resurgence as a serious writer/musician, after the debacle that was his '80s period/Tin Machine - it's a shame he no longer works with Bowie - although Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater has contributed keyboards to Bowie's last 3 studio albums.

Edited by Jim Garten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2004 at 20:45
An old shark jumping thread.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2004 at 21:38

I believe Jumping the shark is the moment when you can still listen the music without feeling nausea, but you know from that point everything is downhill. Am I right?

In that case here is my list:

Second's Out (Genesis): Not a bad album, but when I heard the mutilition done to Steve's guitar sections and the horrible version of Supper's Ready, I knew the next album would be crap, I think I was right.

Going for the One (Yes): One good song, the rest way bellow the level, I wasn't right, because Tormato was even worst but Drama was very good, so they jumped the shark at that point because 90125 was terrible.

Works II (ELP): Works I wasn't good, but neither bad, Works II was really poor, in this case I think I was right, because Love Beach (No coments), and ELP never reched the peak again.

Pompeii (Triumvirat): This is the last album from the german band that I can listen, later stuff is real crap, reaching the peak of the cheese with A La Carte.

Criminal Record (Rick Wakeman): Wonderful aolbum, probably among the best, but there was something that made me think Rick's music will never be the same after this one, and believe I was right again. Rhapsodies acts as a Valium pill and the later is New Age, he recovered with Return to the Centre of the Earth.

Audio Visions (Kansas): Very far from the level reached before, but still pretty decent, still thought they could do a great job, but when found that it was Steve Walsh's last album with the band, I knew there was no hope. The Elefante Lineup proved me I was right, Vinyl Confessions is their worst album at that point, Drastic Meassures was even worst, then Kerry Livegren left and all hope was lost. Thanks God they are back again in the 2000's.

Iván

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 04:45
Originally posted by Radioactive Toy Radioactive Toy wrote:

All camel after moonmadness??

Agreed. The first four albums represent Camel IMHO.

And who mentioned Queen?????????  There are about two songs on Queen 2 that I think are ok. Thats about it. Camp overated nonesense.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 16:42
Well said Blacksword couldn't have put it any better.Ivan for once I have to seriously disagree with you GFTO doesn't have a bad song on it.It contains the truly awesome 'Awaken' and the beautiful soul cleaving  'Turn of the Century' But as to the jumping the shark thingy it has to be the minute Rabin came on board the good ship lollipop.
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 17:08

Genesis-anything after Lamb....even the so called Prog albums Trick and Wind....Phil Collins voice grates on me

Marrillion-everything after Fish sucks. Hogarth can't sing and the lyrics are horrible....at least when compared to Fish

Pink Floyd> anything after Animals(I realize this will be unpopular)The Wall and Final Cut should be Roger Waters solos and the horrific Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are just lousy David Gilmour solos.

These 3 bands have something in common. When your guiding light decides to move on you ought to call it quits lest you release horrible music like Abacab and tarnish your otherwise good names.

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 19:30
gdub 411 first two lines almost perfect 'Trick' is their last seriously good album. Collin's pale imitation of the great man grates on me his pop leanings  were soon to be so bloody obvious therafter, how I dislike this little man so much!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2004 at 17:38

Quote Ivan for once I have to seriously disagree with you GFTO doesn't have a bad song on it.It contains the truly awesome 'Awaken' and the beautiful soul cleaving  'Turn of the Century'

You are right Fragile, but if you read my post again you'll see there are two differences with the rest:

1.- I considered they jump the shark as tyhe moment you realize things will never be the same, even if the album is good. When I listened GFTO I realized that after this album things will never be the same.

2.- Also I say when I thought this I was wrong, because Drama is a great album.

Just a small addition to my post.

Iván

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2004 at 20:36

Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Pink Floyd> anything after Animals(I realize this will be unpopular)The Wall and Final Cut should be Roger Waters solos and the horrific Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are just lousy David Gilmour solos.

Ok.. I didn't say anything about the Works 1 remark... however, I think that 3 album set is a masterpiece... from all 3...

But this.... AMLOR was not horrific in the least... Sorrow, On the Turning Away, Yet Another Movie... Learning to Fly...all brilliant songs and brilliantly played by David Gilmour... I wasn't that fond of Dogs of War at first, but on the DSOT live cd... that song really rocks... love it.  That solo on "Sorrow" is hard to beat by any other band... and then there's The Division Bell.  This is actually my favorite Floyd album after Animals... it should of been called "Light Side of the Moon", because it was such a breath of fresh air after The Final Cut and AMLOR in lyric content.  But I think the sound is unquestionable Floyd.. and Dave is at his best.

BTW.. if you haven't heard his solo on Alan Parson's new cd... "A Valid Path" you really should!!

THIS IS ELP
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 18:59
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I believe Jumping the shark is the moment when you can still listen the music without feeling nausea, but you know from that point everything is downhill. Am I right?

In that case here is my list:

Going for the One (Yes): One good song, the rest way bellow the level, I wasn't right, because Tormato was even worst but Drama was very good, so they jumped the shark at that point because 90125 was terrible.

Iván

I'm amazed you think GFTO was a below par performance.I think most people would disagree with you.Tormato is one of the worst albums ever by a top band. As for Works 2- tee hee!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 20:30

Quote I'm amazed you think GFTO was a below par performance.I think most people would disagree with you.Tormato is one of the worst albums ever by a top band. As for Works 2- tee hee!

I have to agree about Tormato IMHO it was a terrible album. About Works II I'm not so sure, I believe there are lots of worst albums by prog' bands. Genesis is a good example of that, We Cant Dance and Invisible Touch are simply horrible.

About GFTO I have to admit it's  true that not many people will agree with me. Not a bad album at all, but still I believe it's under the level of every Yes previous release.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
zappa123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 10:12
Originally posted by Hammar Hammar wrote:

[QUOTE=Joren]I don't agree with you about Zappa. The albums after Zoot Allures are different. I can see why you don't like the humour, but I think that albums like Sheik Yerbouti are cool, in their own right. And there's still a lot of comments on society on Joe's Garage and You Are What You Is, so Frank remained sharp!

I agree!!! Anyone listened to The Yellow Shark from 1993? It's extremely complex and serious. Another example of his genius and ambitions (maybe too high ambitions? The musicians have their difficulties!!). Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage are fun, and Jazz from Hell is great! I don't have more of his later albums..

I stick with joren and Hammar.

My list:YES - GOING FOR THE ONE

GENESIS-TRICK OF THE TAIL

ELP--LOVE BEACH

MIKE OLDFIELD-AFTER OMMADOWN

KING CRIMSON-AFTER RED

Edited by zappa123
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12