Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI DARE you to doubt the progginess of Kansas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 09:56
Well, I'm listening to "Journey to Mariabronn" from the "Two for the Show" live album, and if that's not prog, I don't know what is....Unhappy
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:00
I've said it before. I think that some definitions of the various trerms should be undertaken to prevent (some) problems. AOR seems to be one that requires definition. The really cool thing about AOR in it's classic times was you never knew what you'd hear. Genesis could be followed by The Marshall Tucker Band, Foghat, and Johnny Winter. Some of it you liked and some you didn't. That was part of what made the whole thing work as a community. With the "splintrification" of progressive rock I would like to think that community could still exist.

Maybe not. Maybe I'm in the wrong place to find open-minded thinking people..

Edited by composer - August 11 2006 at 10:23
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:14
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

Good post Composer.

As for defending Kansas, this all started after Teaflax started with his baiting.
When I see Kansas fans seriously discussing whether Mellencamp or Springsteen is better or which Foreigner album is the best, I just feel vindicated.

I'll get back to composer on Sunday, because his points are more well-considered, if in my view somewhat skewed towards excusing Rock influences as almost inevitable.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:15
Maybe you should come up with some interesting polls or threads then? Besides they (Foreigner and Mellencamp) were in the non prog section and have nothing to do with this thread at all.
Get off your high horse!

Edited by WaywardSon - August 11 2006 at 10:20
Rushman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:35
I just listened to "The Spider" off of POKR, and there is no doubt in my mind (which is all that really matters, isn't it?) that it is an all-out prog instrumental.

I don't need any one elses opinion to validate my own.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:43
  Topic: I DARE you to doubt the progginess of Kansas.

Should this thread  not go go to the non-prog music forum due to the topic's weak and twee subject?Clown

Wink

To deny that Kansas have a strong AOR tendancy is like saying chocolate is disgusting >>> not really credible for the vast majority.

I personnaly like the debut and still can agree to (max three per album) some tracks until Leftoverture. In my personal compilation (which excludes the first album since it is the only one I want to have in full), I went as far as including one track of POKR. Did not go farther.

Kansas has that typical FM-radio-friendly sound right from their debut album. and all of their songs however intricate, long, and whatever other prog qualities one can find, the all have huge chorus line which are repeated at frequent intervals. (exactly the kind of features which bother me to the point of changing radio stations when I was younger and a Kansas song came on) This is most clear in their shorter songs. I do not think Kansas made any qualms about trying to get radio airplay in order to move albums. And they succeeded fairly well, untilmthe turn of the 80's.

Does the fact that they tried for a fairly commercial sound make them any less prog? I don't really think so.

But from POKR onwards it became clear the were just an FM-radio friendly band (which is one of the main characteristic of AOR, this whether your FM rock sound does not get played over the airwaves. >>> then you lose on all countsTongue

Edited by Sean Trane - August 11 2006 at 11:03
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:47
Rock isn't the excuse, it's the reason. If it weren't for Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richad and Jerry Lee Lewis, we wouldn't even have this music (prog) to discuss.

I'm pushing 50 have a BA in Music Composition, am completing my Master's in the same fierld, and teach a History of Rock class at my local University so I have done a LOT of research into how music in all it's forms and specifically into how rock got to all the different places it has, including prog.

Prog is NOT a unique music that dropped out of the air with a specific set of conventions. It most definitely is a sub-genre of rock and roll that evolved, and thankfully, continues to evolve in many different ways. The Mars Volta are just one example of the many types of rock infuence that can be assimilated into Progressive rock music.

Discussions about what bands are progressive or not are more accurately discussions about degrees of complexity and what the preference for complexity is of that particualr listener.

Yesterday I watched a documentary on the brief reunion of The New York Dolls during which Bob Geldorf sl*gged off what he called "ELP and all that prog rock Ruubish". That's a shame for him because "I Don't Like Mondays" was one of the most complex singles ever to hit Pop radio and he wrote it, played the piano and sang it. Our lack of understanding and possibly lack of appropriatley wide musical experience narrows our field of vision proportionately.

When I was 18 or 19 and I was getting into this music I felt the same way as some of the opinions I see here. I thought this music was completely radical and totally unique and that NOTHING like it had ever been done. But as I get older and listen to more and more music of all kinds, my old viewpoint seems a bit quaint, and a bit like believing that babies come from mom swallowing a watermelon seed.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 11:43

Get off your high horse!
I'm afraid the fall might hurt. These Trojan horses are damned tall.
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:04
Originally posted by composer composer wrote:

Prog is NOT a unique music that dropped out of the air with a specific set of conventions. It most definitely is a sub-genre of rock and roll that evolved, and thankfully, continues to evolve in many different ways.

Yes, but it evolved away from specifically the conventions of Rock, whether it be structurally, texturally or compositionally. I don't hear much of, say, Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones or The Eagles in any of the major players of Prog.
Originally posted by composer composer wrote:

I thought this music was completely radical and totally unique and that NOTHING like it had ever been done.
Of course it has a history and a specific timeline, which is why when a band incorporates large elements of pre-Prog conventions in their sound, it must be seen as a retrograde step.

The problem is so many of the fans of AOR-Prog bands seem to know little about music outside the Rock arena, so they don't really notice those elements as being quite prevalent to their sound. These are people who probably look more to Dylan, Springsteen and Blackmore as interesting songwriters than to Burt Bacharach, George Gershwin or Irving Berlin. I would argue that the latter work on a level of sophistication and detail that is much closer - if no more than tangentially related - to the work of the Prog pioneers, who used periods, melodic lines and chord sequences that were at least as far from standard Rock as those composers.

Now, if you like standard Rock tropes, it's obviously not going to bother you that Kansas et.al. traffic extensively in such, but I don't understand the constant need to deny that it's there and that it makes the music markedly and significantly different from the music that defined the genre. Just like Canterbury is a distinct substyle of Prog because of its heavy and easily identifiable Jazz component - something which would obviously bother someone who does not like Jazz - I don't see why there is such opposition to acknowledging that there is a quite clear subset here (certainly far more defined and distinct than "Italian Symphonic").
sm sm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:15
The two main songwriters in Kansas were Steve Walsh and Kerry Livergren.

I have one of Steve Walsh's solo albums, the first one, and have heard his Streets band, both are rock with prog elements.

On the other hand, Livegren's band, Prokow, is very prog.

The reformed Kansas with Livergren, somewhere to nowhere, was prog.

Some Kansas recordings without Livergren, like the one with the dogface on the cover (I forget the title) was prog as well, but Walsh had minor input

Lets just say Kansas is far more a prog band with Livergren is contributing most of the material, or Walsh is staying out of the mix.

Personally, I think his voice is gone, and if he was responsible for Violinist Steinhart leaving, who added a lot of prog elements to Kansas, then it maybe advisable to show Walsh the door and get a keyboardist/vocalist who writes in a progressive style. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:16
Teaflax,You should also have stated "The problem is a few prog elitists seem to know little about the rock arena"
You go out of your way to diss artists like Kansas, Spock´s Beard, TFK, Neil Young, Springsteen etc etc...
What is the point?

Edited by WaywardSon - August 11 2006 at 12:19
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:23
sm sm, you are right, his voice is pretty shot now. They should really think of getting a new vocalist and leaving Walsh on keyboards.
The vocalist for Enchant would make a great replacement.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:23

Teaflax,You should also have stated "The problem is a few prog elitists seem to know little about the rock arena"
You go out of your way to diss artists like Kansas, Spock´s Beard, TFK, Neil Young, Springsteen etc etc...
What is the point?

A few prog elitists? From the opinions expressed in this thread, and via reviews, it seems quite a good deal of the prog fans here find this element in their music. Nobody is saying it reduces the quality of the output, we're just trying to state that the influence is in fact there. Teaflax in particular doesn't like the element, I like it to some degree and do enjoy listening to Kansas, others like yourself enjoy it very much. Nobody is trying to say that because they have an AOR influence, they cannot release material on par with pure prog bands.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:28

What is the point?
That I think they suck, maybe? I'm just guessing here, but I've heard that that could be a factor in such behavior. Either that, or maybe I'm trying to make a point about how the conventions of Rock music have become canonized as unassailable and therefore by extension are accepted as an inevitability as soon as someone picks up an electric guitar. Not so, I say.

As for knowledge of Rock music (or most any form of popular music bar pure chart stuff and House/Techno), I'll put mine up against most people's any day of the week. When I worked as a Rock radio DJ, I was the one the other DJ's turned to for little facts and nuggets of info they could drop about the bands they would play in their sets. So, it's not that I don't know much about it - rather the opposite, I would argue; I've heard way too much of it.

Added: Just as a data point; I really don't like ELP particularly, but would I call them "less Prog" because of that? No. And again; I love It Bites, but I sure don't consider them a pure Prog band.

Edited by Teaflax - August 11 2006 at 12:31
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:30
Equality I agree with you 100%

Thanks for the nuggets of info Teaflax

Edited by WaywardSon - August 11 2006 at 12:32
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:35

Peace, WS. Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Peace, WS. Wink

Peace...er.(clears throat)..Brother
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 13:28
Gershwin, Bacharach, et. al. were / are PURE POP writers and far closer cousins to Springsteen and Dylan than to King Crimnson or Genesis. Their primary if not only concern was getting the music played by folks who could sell it in the millions, if it didn't sell it was "bad". They use(d) more conventional periodic structures and verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus type structures than anyone before or since. It was those Tin Pan Alley Composers who by and large took the blues out of Rock & Roll in the early 60's. They did use more sophisticated chord voicings BUT the progressions themselves were just as simple. I - IV -V -I is still the same when it's done as I7 - IV add 4th - Vb5-I6. The actual progression is still the same.

In that way the progressive bands were more classical than pop and are probably closer in attitude to Stravinsky than to Cole Porter. They, like Stravinsky's use of Jazz in classical music, put embellished blues based scales (Tull, Yes, ELP, Kansas, Gentle Giant, Eloy< Grobschitt, PFM, etc.) together with classical forms and rock band volume, instrumentation and attitude to create a sub-set of rock that was more complex and more musically satisfying to THEM. There was considerably less importance placed on how well it would sell until the end of the 70's when sales became an overwhelming issue and severely limited the amount of progressive music available to us for the next decade or so.

So no, the Tin pan Alley composers you mention are not more closely related to prog than The Stones or The Eagles, the comparison is more or less equal or not to be made at all.

What conventions are we talking about that are NOT pre-Prog? Folk? Jazz? Celtic? Blues? Metal? Part of a definition of prog would state that Prog was/is a symbiotic music fusing different elements from different styles. If that is the case there can be nothing BUT pre-prog conventions. The only difference is in what conventions were chosen and in what ways and to what degrees they are used. I certainly don't deny that they are there and I don't think I have given that impression. My point is that those same conventions are "there" in all the classic prog bands. There are varying degrees to which some of these elements are emphasized in terms of songwriting, and that is the big issue.

It is not whether something is or isn't there. It is. It is the degree to which each listener will tolerate certain pre-prog conventions. The "Degree Of Complexity" factor if you will. Teaflax wants more others are less rigind in that area.

The first three Kansas LPs did not deal extensively in the area of traditional pop song structures. They were quite varied and complex structuarly. They were easliy the equal of The Yes Album, Octopus or Trilogy in that way. After Masques they streamlined their approach and lost some of the magic they had begun with (for me). On those early records Kansas used classical forms (of which the trope is one; a Liturgical chant in the early Catholic Church, not a pop song form. The word I believe you're looking for is strophe which loosley translates to the modern "verse"), to which they added a healthy (or unhealthy as your taste may be) dose of blues based melodic material.

I don't think that the goal of early progressive rock was to break all the rules or abandon all the pre-prog conventions. If that was the goal they failed miserably. I think the goal was to strech and expand the possibilities of rock music by incorporating other ideas from other musical styles. In this respect rock has shown itself to be the most flexible musical style in history. It is unique in its ability to take in other musical elements and still retain its identity as rock.

Complexity is a continuum.and every person finds a different place along its length. Musical complexity can be like any other type of writing. If you have a good idea that is all you need (rock). If you dress it up in different ways it can be made more exciting to some people (prog). If you over-complicate it too much it loses the meaning it had to begin with and no-one understands it. There is no clear-cut point between the last two statements. That's where the continuum lies.

Classical music in the 20th century all but lost its audience completely by over complicating itself. My classical compositions (a few are available on my website below) are sometimes criticized for being too simple, but classical music afficianadoes are fmuch more accepting of higher levels of complexity than most of the music buying public. My efforts in that area are deliberately aimed at broadening the audience base by keeping things simple.

I guess what I don't understand is how we can say that the basic pre-prog rock conventions are NOT present in virtually all prog as well, or how the fact that those elements are there can make one prog band markedly and significantly different. Kansas IS one of the bands that defined the genre.

Edited by composer - August 11 2006 at 13:34
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I actually don't like the track Magnum Opus.It feels like a tacked on prog epic that lacks any real musical flow.Compared to Of Mother Nature Suite I would say its poor.I do like the song 'Dust In The Wind' though.At the end of the day for me though there are many better prog bands than Kansas.If Kansas had stuck at it longer then maybe I'd feel different.
This is due to the fact that Magnum Opus was, in actuality, little more than a group of leftover, unused song parts and ideas tacked together.  It was originally titled "Leftoverture" (and the album was "Magnum Opus"), but they switched the names.

To those who later made comments about Steve Walsh's voice being shot, I think he still sounds great.  His voice is more of an acquired taste now, but he still has great command of it.  And responding to another comment, he's not responsible for Robby Steinhardt's leaving the band.  He was asked to leave because he didn't have the motivation to keep his violin skills up to par, keep his voice in good shape, or remember song lyrics.  Robby wasn't enjoying what he was doing anymore.
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Well, I'm listening to "Journey to Mariabronn" from the "Two for the Show" live album, and if that's not prog, I don't know what is....Unhappy

Amen, sister. Tongue

What a great live album! Clap

Edited by NaturalScience - August 11 2006 at 13:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>