Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBabysteps by Henning Pauly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Babysteps by Henning Pauly
    Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:02
Had this new album for about a week and it is very good.  If you like Frameshift and Chain, this is a no brainer.  James LaBrie sings on about four songs as well as Jody Ashworth and others.

It's a concept album and the different singers sing different parts and it simply rocks.  Prog Metal with plenty of keys and piano to mix it up quite a bit.  This guy is talented and I hope more people discover him.

This is his third solo effort but while his other two bands are on PA, his solo stuff is not, but this is definitely prog.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 20:33
Wow...no one has replied to this yet.

I love Pauly's work in Chain and especially the Frameshift albums.

I am not really familiar with his solo work but this album sounds intriguing,so I will definitely check it out.

Thanks.

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I am not really familiar with his solo work but this album sounds intriguing,so I will definitely check it out.

Thanks.

Thanks Progtologist.  I just want to scream to the heavens how good this guy is but no one on here wants to listen.  Chain.exe is one of my all time favorites. I haven't heard his first two "solo" albums and don't know that they are prog, per se. But he has been working on this one for a good long time and actually cut Labrie's vocals at the same time as the first Frameshift album.

His website is saying he is moving back to Germany from LA and I get the vibe that he is burned out on trying to make it because the sales haven't been there and he had to cut this album down from a double disc to one due to lack of funds.  This was his baby and even though I am disappointed that it isn't a 2cd, it is still a hell of a ride.  I only hope that I will hear more from him down the road.  Progrock records and him have made a go of it but I don't know if either of them have anything left to give.  The music business is dog eat dog and as we all know, the most talented don't always reap the rewards.  I've got five great albums by the man and at least that is something.

p.s. Sebastian Bach is an a##hole.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks Progtologist.  I just want to scream to the heavens how good this guy is but no one on here wants to listen.  Chain.exe is one of my all time favorites. I haven't heard his first two "solo" albums and don't know that they are prog, per se. But he has been working on this one for a good long time and actually cut Labrie's vocals at the same time as the first Frameshift album.His website is saying he is moving back to Germany from LA and I get the vibe that he is burned out on trying to make it because the sales haven't been there and he had to cut this album down from a double disc to one due to lack of funds.  This was his baby and even though I am disappointed that it isn't a 2cd, it is still a hell of a ride.  I only hope that I will hear more from him down the road.  Progrock records and him have made a go of it but I don't know if either of them have anything left to give.  The music business is dog eat dog and as we all know, the most talented don't always reap the rewards.  I've got five great albums by the man and at least that is something.p.s. Sebastian Bach is an a##hole.

Yeah..Pauly has had a hard time of it.

I followed the war of words between him and Bach on both of their message boards and was appalled that Bach was actually calling an Absence of Empathy "his new solo album".

The guy just came in and sang some tunes that were already written,they bent over backwards to try to accomodate him,and he still acted like a jerk.

I think his vocal performance on the 2nd Frameshift album is actually quite good,but his whole attitude after it's release really turned me off.

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 22:25
^Yeah, when you change a few lyrics against the songwriter's will and the only reason they give in is just to get you to shut up so they could get the album done, then you have issues.  The guy was blessed with a great voice but that does not mean he has the type of talent of Pauly or the vast majority of the types of people that we enjoy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 22:28
BTW...If you think Pauly's solo stuff is worthy of inclusion make a thread in Suggest New Bands/Artists and state your case.

If all his solo stuff is as prog metallish as Chain and Frameshift the Prog Metal Team will consider him for inclusion.

Post Reply Post Reply