Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReligion Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: With which of the following do you idenify yourself?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [21.43%]
13 [10.32%]
2 [1.59%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [1.59%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [1.59%]
2 [1.59%]
71 [56.35%]
7 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion Poll
    Posted: December 29 2004 at 10:55
My father is Catholic and my mother is Jewish, and since my parents got a divorce when i was three I was raised as a Jew. I went to Jewish parochial school from kindergarten to sixth grade, from where I transferred to a different school after my mother and I became dissatisfied with the former school's administration. In roughly eight grade, I began to get a hold of Ayn Rand's literature, and I found that I agreed with her ideas far more than those held in the religious doctrine I had been exposed to. I briefly went through a period of having interest in Buddhist teachings, having read the Dhammapada, but eventually found most satisfaction in Rand's philosophy, Objectivism. So, I'm putting down my vote for atheist, since that best describes it.

I have a fear that this thread has the potential of being riddled with proselytizing and arguing, but I kindly ask all of you to refrain from that. I made this poll more with the intention of seeing what the religious spread is here on the board and hearing other people's stories about how they came to believe what they do.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 11:23

I'm a Humanist I think.

I'm not really an atheist, nor a gnostic, so I think you should have separated the choice possibility.

I was raised Catholic, spent some time learning about Jewism, and other religions. Basicaly I believe in the good parts of bible's torah's and everything, but only as a moral/ethical guide to how one should live their lives in accordance with the people around us. I ignore the things I don't like, or think to be false.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:18

Perhaps you should have separated Atheism and Agnostic - the two have different meanings and very different connotations.

I am an agnostic, in the sense that I feel there is not sufficient evidence to believe either that there is or isn't a god.

Atheists, on the other hand, are confident that there is no god. I think it should be important for people to specify which they belong to, and why.

Oh, and I know little about Humanism. Could someone care to tell me more?

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:22
I was raised Church Of England, but do have approx one quarter Jewish on my mother's side (my wife maintains it is that quarter which controls my wallet, and I've been asked by friends if that means I have a threeskin!).

As I've grown older however, I'd not say that I became dissilusioned with the church, as it was never a great part of my upbringing; however, of the choices above, I would say I'm 75% Humanist, 24% Pagan & 1% Devout Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu/whichever deity can save me in times of danger - let's face it, even the most devout atheist will call on a deity when a 20 ton truck is rolling toward him/her

Good thread, by the way, but I totally agree with your caveat:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

I have a fear that this thread has the potential of being riddled with proselytizing and arguing, but I kindly ask all of you to refrain from that

Let's keep this civil, people

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:46
I´ll probably shock everyone by saying that I´m 99% Atheist and 1 % Humanist 
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 13:08
I follow Jesus, making me none of the above.
Epic.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 13:37
I am a protestant christian.. but I also take what I feel is relevant from the Bible... and leave the rest.  The Bible was written by men, other than the 10 Commandments which was supposedly written by God.. so I try to abide by the 10 big ones... but that one on not coveting someone else's spouse generally gets me into a lot of trouble...
THIS IS ELP
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 13:55

The basic tenet of Christianity seems to be treat others as you would want to be treated yourself; if only everyone were to just abide by that one.....

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:01

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

even the most devout atheist will call on a deity when a 20 ton truck is rolling toward him/her

Good thread, by the way, but I totally agree with your caveat:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

I have a fear that this thread has the potential of being riddled with proselytizing and arguing, but I kindly ask all of you to refrain from that

Let's keep this civil, people

How can you agree with the let's keep this civil tag after making that contentious statement:

even the most devout atheist will call on a deity when a 20 ton truck is rolling toward him/her

That statement sums up religion for me.
I will never, even in my darkest hour, attempt to invoke the mercy of any deity.
I wouldnt shout for Superman, Batman or International Rescue, so why would I shout for God's help?
Confused

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:07
No but he would blame it all on me, that Leed Rover 
aqualung28 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:12

define humanist

"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:17

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

No but he would blame it all on me, that Leed Rover 

No, I'd just use you as a protective shield to save myself!

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:31

Humanism: A philosophy asserting human dignity and man's capacity for fulfillment through reason and scientific method, hereby often rejecting religion. A humanist beliefs in continuous emergent evolution.

Philosophy and science are the keywords for understanding ones behaviour and relation with the world. some quotations from famous humanists.

Humanists recognize that it is only when people feel free to think for themselves, using reason as their guide, that they are best capable of developing values that succeed in satisfying human needs and serving human interests. • ISAAC ASIMOV - scientist, author, and past president of the American Humanist Association.

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. • ALBERT EINSTEIN - scientist, Nobel Prizewinner in physics, originator of the theory of relativity.

When we speak of equality, of women and men, of Blacks and Whites, of all the world's people, we are talking about humanism. • GLORIA STEINEM - founder of Ms.magazine, Humanist Pioneer Awardee.

joyous service for the greater good of all humanity, of application of new ideas of scientific progress for the benefit of all. • LINUS PAULING - scientist, Humanist of the Year in 1961, Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1954, Nobel Peace Prize in 1962.

aqualung28 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 14:33
ok, I think a combo of Humanism, Atheism and Agnosticism describes me pretty well
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 15:05

I was christened a Catholic, but when my Irish mother moved to England she stopped going to mass. Therefore I was not raised a Catholic. My father was Protestant, but seemed uninterested inmworship altogether. He died when I was sixteen so I never had the opportunity to discuss his take on such things.

I was an Athiest, and I'm pretty cynical about organised religion as a whole.

I had thought for sometime that the ten commandments formed the basis of how we conduct ourselves in Christian societies. Regardless of whether we practice a religion or not, all mentally stable people with a conciense know its wrong to kill, steel etc. Now, however, I feel the natural world plays a more significant role in how we organise our societies. All species will, naturally over time, organise their 'kind' in a way most conducive to survival. We have done this, without Gods help. Our aversion to killing - with some obvious exceptions - has come about through our natural evolution as a species; as both our emotional and intellectual intelligence evolved. To credit our values to the 10 commandments is barely touching the surface IMO.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 15:42

Although I am a Christian (essentially Protestant) minister, I reject mainstream, heirarchical, "organized" Christianity (both Catholic and Protestant), since, as JrKASperov infers, the vast majority of it is apostate, if not heretical.  I practice (and preach and teach) what has been referred to as "primitive" Christianity; i.e., Jesus' ministry (the four Gospels) and the first 60 years following (i.e., the remainder of the New Testament).

As an aside to threefates, it is historically incorrect to state that "the Bible was written by men, other than the 10 Commandmnets which were written by God."  You seem to be relying on the movie "The Ten Commandments" rather than scholarly theology.  As any Old or New Testament scholar can tell you, when God "gave the law" to Moses, He did not simply give him the 10 Commandments.  After all, it would not have taken God forty days (which is how long Moses was on Mount Sinai) to do so.  Rather, God "wrote" (actually, had Moses transcribe) the entire "Pentatuch" (Torah) - the first five books of the Bible, including all the laws (moral, dietary, etc.).  This is why Moses was on the mountain for 40 days.  It is also why, when a new Torah is created, every single Hebrew letter must be meticulously hand-written from the Torah before it.  If the scribe "messes up" even one letter, he is required to throw away the entire "page" (actually, sheepskin), and start that page again - even if everything else was correct.  This is why the over 350,000 letters of the Torah have changed less than 2% after almost 4,000 years.

In addition, to state that "the Bible was written by men" negates the fact that, according to Judeo-Christian belief, every man (and, yes, woman) who "contributed" to the Old and New Testaments was "divinely inspired"; i.e., although it might not have been "written by God," it was, nonetheless, "given" by God through "revelation" or otherwise.

This is not meant to be proselytizing or "arguing," but merely informational re the history of the Bible itself.

Peace.

Edited by maani
selling_echoes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 15:57

There was a history class on deism. I'm not sure that exists in English though, so here I am talking out of my ... where the sun doesn't shine.

I believe in a superior force, that we are all part of something that something/someone else created, that everything exists and happens for a reason, that we all have a reason for being alive.

I'm not too sure which one that is, so atheist has my vote.
It's funny, up until the age of 9 my dad had me going to Sunday School every, well, Sunday... learning verses by heart, "Jesus is your friend" -- the moment we moved from Southern US, I threw that out the window.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 15:59
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

This is not meant to be proselytizing or "arguing," but merely informational re the history of the Bible itself.

Peace.

History in the sense that one might plot the history of Batman and his exploits.
One could say that Peter Jackson's interpretation of "The Lord Of The Rings" is far closer to the spirit of Tolkien's books than the New Testament is to the spirit of Christ's life on Earth.
And as relevant....Smile

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 16:13
Far Far closer, half of the new testament was written long after Jesus past away due to prolonged and intimate exposion to a crusifix. the other half was written even after that.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 16:30

As an aside to threefates, it is historically incorrect to state that "the Bible was written by men, other than the 10 Commandmnets which were written by God."  You seem to be relying on the movie "The Ten Commandments" rather than scholarly theology.  As any Old or New Testament scholar can tell you, when God "gave the law" to Moses, He did not simply give him the 10 Commandments.  After all, it would not have taken God forty days (which is how long Moses was on Mount Sinai) to do so.  Rather, God "wrote" (actually, had Moses transcribe) the entire "Pentatuch" (Torah) - the first five books of the Bible, including all the laws (moral, dietary, etc.). 

Uhh.. as someone who worked at the American Bible Society for 14 years and worked with quite a few Biblical scholars (including Barclay Newman) on "The Good News Bible" and the "Contemporary English Version"... where does it say in your Bible that this is indeed true.  This reasoning is speculation, as is half the translation of the Bible from the Greek/Hebrew text for that matter.

In addition, to state that "the Bible was written by men" negates the fact that, according to Judeo-Christian belief, every man (and, yes, woman) who "contributed" to the Old and New Testaments was "divinely inspired"; i.e., although it might not have been "written by God," it was, nonetheless, "given" by God through "revelation" or otherwise.

Yes I remember reading in quite a few spots of the Old Testament where many of the sages or seers would do some of that smokey stuff and start quoting speeches as visions from God...also lots of weird incense being burned in the temples.... I had a lot of friends in the early 70s that smoked some stuff and had conversations with God also... That doesn't mean I have to accept it as Gospel.  Also quite a few books in the Old Testament were written by man... whose's to say truthfully that it all wasn't.

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>