FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd vs. Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 08:17
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I do not agree that ELP succeed both ways! They fall squarely into the pre-meditated camp, although with less practice than Yes. The improvs are generally noodly bombastic blusters at best which fit inside a pre-meditated framework.

Well I guess its no surprise I don't agree with this at all. ELP did succeed both ways.. and the improvs which thankfully were bombastic, tho not noodly or blusters... and there is not a band out there who's improvs didn't fit into a pre-meditated framework.  Otherwise it would of been very hard playing arenas with time curfews...   However ELP were better than most at straying from that pre-meditated frame.

THIS IS ELP
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 13:12
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I do not agree that ELP succeed both ways! They fall squarely into the pre-meditated camp, although with less practice than Yes. The improvs are generally noodly bombastic blusters at best which fit inside a pre-meditated framework.

Well I guess its no surprise I don't agree with this at all. ELP did succeed both ways.. and the improvs which thankfully were bombastic, tho not noodly or blusters... and there is not a band out there who's improvs didn't fit into a pre-meditated framework.  Otherwise it would of been very hard playing arenas with time curfews...   However I believe that ELP were better than most at straying from that pre-meditated frame.

They certainly were noodly and blustery - who says that's a criticism?

Just because I disagree with you on some aspects of ELP does not mean I take every opportunity to lay into them - that would be a complete waste of time and so unfair - when there are so many other bands to lay into

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 13:37
Hey, its my job to take care of them... and its a job I take seriously... just in case you haven't noticed...
THIS IS ELP
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 15:46
Wow, I thought this thread was goint to pop into the inactive bin..... guess I was wrong.
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 20:33

Quote Actually PF started as a blues band

Yep, as did many other bands, Earth aka Black Sabbath, Yardbirds, etc. I never bring this up because I assume everyone knows this and we don't have to point it out.

Quote PF were masters at making it sound like a complete psychedelic jam when in fact it wasn't.

Easy mistake to make!

I don't think they were masters at anything back then, but that's okay, you're coming at this from a very fanboy angle, and I respect that.

Quote He/she was claiming that their music was simple pop and was only psychedelic on "Meddle". I was only disagreeing with what is obviously balderdash, and I see no counter arguement!

I don't see it, either! JrKASperov: step up to bat!

Quote I like Pink Floyd a great deal, but that is not where I am coming from at all - the eclecticness is there, and you've just admitted you don't hear it.

I admit nothing; I simply don't acknowledge said fountains of genius -- alleged fountains, I must say.

Quote In The Court Of The Crimson King, not anything by The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Nice, etc.

Why? Because concensus says so?

Nope. I think ITCOTCK speaks for itself.

Quote There is a natural flow to The Wall, although much of the improvised feel is lost in that album. However, there is no doubt in any but the more extreme that it is a prog album as it progresses throughout, develops thematic material and maintains an overall concept. In this alone, a degree of improvisationalism is maintained.

A degree? The Wall is not the result of stream-of-consciousness playing & recording!

Quote I do not agree that ELP succeed both ways!

You're definitely going to be outnumbered!

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 21:39
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 03:59
Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Quote Actually PF started as a blues band

Yep, as did many other bands, Earth aka Black Sabbath, Yardbirds, etc. I never bring this up because I assume everyone knows this and we don't have to point it out.

Assume made an Donkey out of U and ME

Quote PF were masters at making it sound like a complete psychedelic jam when in fact it wasn't.

Easy mistake to make!

I don't think they were masters at anything back then, but that's okay, you're coming at this from a very fanboy angle, and I respect that.

No, I'm not coming at this from a "fanboy" angle, I'm coming at this from my own personal angle. If you want to mis-interpret me, that's up to you, and if you don't think PF were masters of anything back then, you're probably alone. "Piper..." is a brilliant album, and PF practically led the underground scene in London.

Quote He/she was claiming that their music was simple pop and was only psychedelic on "Meddle". I was only disagreeing with what is obviously balderdash, and I see no counter arguement!

I don't see it, either! JrKASperov: step up to bat!

Quote I like Pink Floyd a great deal, but that is not where I am coming from at all - the eclecticness is there, and you've just admitted you don't hear it.

I admit nothing; I simply don't acknowledge said fountains of genius -- alleged fountains, I must say.

You said you don't hear it. Those were your words  No-one said anything about "fountains of genuis", alleged or otherwise - it looks like you're attempting to obfuscate what you are saying to not look stupid.

Quote In The Court Of The Crimson King, not anything by The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, The Nice, etc.

Why? Because concensus says so?

Nope. I think ITCOTCK speaks for itself.

Does it? What does it say?

There is a natural flow to The Wall, although much of the improvised feel is lost in that album. However, there is no doubt in any but the more extreme that it is a prog album as it progresses throughout, develops thematic material and maintains an overall concept. In this alone, a degree of improvisationalism is maintained.

A degree? The Wall is not the result of stream-of-consciousness playing & recording!

Who said that?  A degree of improvisationalism does not mean complete improvisation! What are you talking about, man?

Quote I do not agree that ELP succeed both ways!

You're definitely going to be outnumbered!

So what? I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are entitled to yours

Edited by Certif1ed
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 04:50

Quote If you want to mis-interpret me, that's up to you, and if you don't think PF were masters of anything back then, you're probably alone.

How could they be masters of anything? Were those guys even 25 by that time?

Quote "Piper..." is a brilliant album, and PF practically led the underground scene in London.

If you say so, but I'm only going to give you the benefit of the doubt because I'm beginning to believe you were actually there!

Quote No-one said anything about "fountains of genuis", alleged or otherwise - it looks like you're attempting to obfuscate what you are saying to not look stupid.

Gothdamnit, I am noth an obfuthcator, and I never ever look thtoopid!!!! Don't try to yuthe big words to confuthe me!

Quote What are you talking about, man?

I dunno, mon!? By degree, you meant a relative amount, right?

Edited by dropForge
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 06:51

Quote If you want to mis-interpret me, that's up to you, and if you don't think PF were masters of anything back then, you're probably alone.

How could they be masters of anything? Were those guys even 25 by that time?

Age has how much to do with mastering a musical form?

Quote "Piper..." is a brilliant album, and PF practically led the underground scene in London.

If you say so, but I'm only going to give you the benefit of the doubt because I'm beginning to believe you were actually there!

Check any history of Pink Floyd or psychedelic music!

Quote No-one said anything about "fountains of genuis", alleged or otherwise - it looks like you're attempting to obfuscate what you are saying to not look stupid.

Gothdamnit, I am noth an obfuthcator, and I never ever look thtoopid!!!! Don't try to yuthe big words to confuthe me!

I bet you're into antidisestablishmentarianism, and probably live in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllandysiliogogogoch. Although really I feel there's a little bit of floccinaucinihilipilification going on here... I hope you never get pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis

Quote What are you talking about, man?

I dunno, mon!? By degree, you meant a relative amount, right?

Exactly - but you seemed to think that I meant everything when you started talking about streams of consciousnesses and stuff. I mean, the Wall is not exactly the aural equivalent of Ulysses, but it's certainly more of a concept album than most AC/DC LPs - or is there a flaw in my logic somewhere?

Edited by Certif1ed
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 06:52
...or is that antidithethtablithmentarianithm? 

Edited by Certif1ed
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:35

Yes' best stuff is, IMO, superior to Floyd's.

Their worst stuff, however, is much much worse than Floyd's.  Yes could be brilliant, but also dire.  Floyd always hovered around very good.

"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:42
It's a matter of taste, of course. We latins have a saying: Sobre gustos y colores no han escrito los autores (about tastes and colours, the authors havenīt write). I listened to Yes very much before Pink Floyd, and instintively prefers the first. But then i think about The dark side, or even Pulse, and my felling trends to change...
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 12:25

Quote Age has how much to do with mastering a musical form?

Quite a bit when the usual suspects aren't prodigies!

Quote Check any history of Pink Floyd or psychedelic music!

Nah, I can't spare the time! You were there.

Quote I bet you're into antidisestablishmentarianism

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! (And it's spelled, correctly, too!)

Quote Exactly - but you seemed to think that I meant everything

No, I didn't. You're eggsaturating!

Quote it's certainly more of a concept album than most AC/DC LPs

Highway To Hell is a great concept album!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 12:49

Not really, when the musical form is a) non-complex and b) largely comprised of random experimentation and c) depended on large amounts of LSD.

Syd was a prodigy!

[/QUOTE]

mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 14:10

Not really, when the musical form is a) non-complex and b) largely comprised of random experimentation and c) depended on large amounts of LSD.

Syd was a prodigy!

[/QUOTE] This forum has discussed already the influence of hard drugs on the creativity of musics and composers? Was them so good thanks to or despite of the abuse of drugs?  
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 15:13
Pink Floyd: thanks to
The Grateful Dead: thanks to
Jefferson Airplane: thanks to

some others: thanks to

most people: despite of

On a side note, where do you draw the line for hard drugs? I was quite suprised to find LSD and (dried) mushrooms were both Class A in my country (oops!).
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 16:19

The use of drugs is a different topic, but I have found it can have both advantageous and detrimental effects.

Put it this way, Hawkwind wouldn't be Hawkwind without drugs.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 16:23

The use of drugs is a different topic, but I have found it can have both advantageous and detrimental effects.

Put it this way, Hawkwind wouldn't be Hawkwind without drugs.

Wish they'd dry out then!Evil Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234