Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKatatonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Katatonia
    Posted: August 29 2006 at 16:48
I'm listening to the latest album "The Great Cold Distance" from a swedish band Katatonia and I wonder why they aren't on Progarchives. It sounds like prog-metal to me...    
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 04:52
A few people seem to feel that Katatonia deserve to be on here, and I can't even remotely see why.  Their early stuff is fairly standard doom metal with slight death/black influences, their more recent material is extremely straightforward metal with a bit of an alt-rock twist, pretty much all of their recent songs stick entirely to simple instrumentation and verse/chorus/verse structure.

Great band, but definitely not prog.

Edited by Bryan - August 30 2006 at 04:53
KeyserSoze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 07:38
Well, you may be right, that was just a feeling. I don't know their older albums but I like this new album. But well, I like many non-progrock bands as well...
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 10:56
I would place them into atmospheric metal in overall but many people think it's post metal/rock
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 10:58
Originally posted by Bryan Bryan wrote:

A few people seem to feel that Katatonia deserve to be on here, and I can't even remotely see why.  Their early stuff is fairly standard doom metal with slight death/black influences, their more recent material is extremely straightforward metal with a bit of an alt-rock twist, pretty much all of their recent songs stick entirely to simple instrumentation and verse/chorus/verse structure.

Well, if Anathema made it to this site, I can't see why Katatonia would not be included here as well, both bands had a similar evolution and a somewhat similar style.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 11:17
We tried to add Katatonia to Prog-Related, as whilst not being prog themselves they are undoubtedly related to the genre, however, two or so members of the Prog-Metal Team are against it and do not wish neither change their opinion, nor to make a compromise.

I believe I typed up my argument _in favour_ of their inclusion in two of such threads, and numerous times on MSN, try doing a search in these forums, if you care enough to read it, but it looks like a frozen addition to me, so do not expect to see them here. Sorry.
sig
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Well, if Anathema made it to this site, I can't see why Katatonia would not be included here as well, both bands had a similar evolution and a somewhat similar style.

Not really, no.

Anathema went from Atmospheric Doom to Pink Floyd-influenced depressing Rock style, Katatonia has pretty much no Prog influences(although it is obvious Blakkheim is Prog-influenced, but that doesn't show on this project), and only sounds like bands of their time(Opeth, Tool and PTree, who are progressive. This is one of the main arguments FOR their inclusion, but Bryan apparently disagrees and doesn't see these influences). In addition, Anathema are often compared to Radiohead and called a heavier version of Rad's music, especially their very last albums.
sig
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 14:42
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Not really, no.

Anathema went from Atmospheric Doom to Pink Floyd-influenced depressing Rock style, Katatonia has pretty much no Prog influences(although it is obvious Blakkheim is Prog-influenced, but that doesn't show on this project), and only sounds like bands of their time(Opeth, Tool and PTree, who are progressive. This is one of the main arguments FOR their inclusion, but Bryan apparently disagrees and doesn't see these influences). In addition, Anathema are often compared to Radiohead and called a heavier version of Rad's music, especially their very last albums.

It's not that I don't SEE those influences, I just don't think sounding like one of those bands but not having their prog influences warrants including a band under prog-related.  You mentioned Radiohead... I could name TONS of Radiohead soundalikes who have absolutely nothing in common with prog.

It's not that I don't like Katatonia either... their new album is one of my favorites of 2006, I love their music... I just don't see it as having a place on a prog site.
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by KeyserSoze KeyserSoze wrote:

. It sounds like prog-metal to me...    

It sounds like gothic / black metal to me...some people here must take a few lessons about what progressive music means
KeyserSoze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 14:57
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

It sounds like gothic / black metal to me...some people here must take a few lessons about what progressive music means

That sounds quite arrogant to me and I won't react in such a way. I'm not much into doom/black/speed/whatever metal music (and prog-metal as well) and I just wanted to hear from people who are experts in this subgenre what they think and wanted to know the reasons why Katatonia isn't in Progarchives. It's a new band to me and I like it. That's all, period.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 15:37

I'm listening to the latest album "The Great Cold Distance" from a swedish band Katatonia and I wonder why they aren't on Progarchives. It sounds like prog-metal to me...    

They were included for a while if I'm not mistaken...
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 16:47

Keep it civil please Philippe.

I know you don't intend it to sound arrogant and insulting, but it comes across that way.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 17:40
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

They were included for a while if I'm not mistaken...

Yeah, i'm pretty sure they were added, then the PA team (or whoever) decided to remove them. I don't know the band, so I can't comment.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 03:27

Their sound is similar to doom, gothic, black metal with strong morbid angel influences...these teenagers read Tintin, watching commercial stupidities as "friends", "the simpsons", "star Wars"...stop being hypocrites, this band has no values to pretend to be attached to the progressive scene (or any progressive way of thinking), they only play a really poor neo metal style.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 03:35

Their sound is similar to doom, gothic, black metal with strong morbid angel influences...these teenagers read Tintin, watching commercial stupidities as "friends", "the simpsons", "star Wars"...stop being hypocrites, this band has no values to pretend to be attached to the progressive scene (or any progressive way of thinking), they only play a really poor neo metal style.

Morbid Angel influence in Katatonia??

At least know what you're talking about if you're going to blindly bash bands.

On a sidenote, am I the only one who laughed out loud at that bit about how they watch Friends, The Simpsons and Star Wars?  I guess that since Max had Homer Simpson as his avatar for quite awhile, your whole membership with this site is a sham.

Edited by Bryan - September 04 2006 at 03:38
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 05:19

I guess that since Max had Homer Simpson as his avatar for quite awhile, your whole membership with this site is a sham.

LOL nice humour
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 05:51

commercial stupidities as ... "the simpsons"

LOL no comment necessary!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 07:44
No matter how senseless Philippe's comments on Katatonia's genre belonging are, Katatonia have actually recorded a brilliant 10-minute long Gothic epic called Scarlet Heavens, which is from Teargas EP or something like that.
sig
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 11:23
Trickster,

Philippe too is entitled to his views.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 11:48
I think it would be rather nice if people refrained from using words such as 'stupid' and 'hypocrite' when posting on these forums. In my very humble opinion, it is possible to express one's point of view without resorting to expressions that might be offensive to others. Even though I have a bit of a temper myself, I always try to avoid crossing the line, as it might lead to unfortunate reactions. Music should be a way to make all of us feel better, not to make us angrier than our jobs or other such problems.

*ranting mode/off*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>