Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe Greeks Dont Want No Freaks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 04:08
interesting article you found there DB... agree with Tony there..  I sure you wouldn't want people thinking you wrote that yourself would you LOLWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 06:54
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Always cite your sources DB, please...Smile

used to do that but stopped didnt seem to matter, thought most knew I was using sources. this thread was started 6 months ago, I have been updated lately by easy livin to use source, understand the liability, no problem.
annexusquam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 06:11
if u want to listen to an unbelievable band from greece search for Purple Overdose (pure psychedelia, completely trippy)
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 06:31
There are a lot of bands missing (which are clealy prog, not borderline) from the more, shall I say, perypheral countries, like Greece, Portugal, or Eastern Europe. Italy had such a problem, before our relentless Italian members stepped in and solved the problem.
Members with an interest in prog should have some notion of their own country's production, and If possible, try and share it with others. 
In my case, I submited 3 portuguese bands early this year. I still haven't got any feedback from the admission team, though...
Bigger on the inside.
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 19:18
Am i delerious, or is/was  there a prog band from Greece called Will O' The Wisp, i've got my hands on 2 of their albums, but can't remember their names at this present time.
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 05:05
Yes, Will o the Wisp is a Greek prog  band..  really good one.

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 22:21
axis(s/t 73), socrates(phos) and akritas(s/t) are a good entry point for classic greek prog! they were very good despite the political climate of the time!  typically superior to most of the eastern euro output in the early to mid 70's.

Edited by DallasBryan - April 27 2007 at 22:22
DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 22:39
Anyone heard about Plj Band from Greece ???Psychedelic prog from 82 i never heard it but i read positive reviews about it.
Ars longa , vita brevis
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 13:01
This is shocking.Socrates didn't get the recognition they deserved but aphrodite's child did.So did vangelis.

Will o the wisp rule and they do a fantastic job.Try Tidal Flood and Purple overdose.

Edited by Angeldust - April 28 2007 at 13:03
DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 22:21
Angeldust,which Purple Overdose album is their best ?
Ars longa , vita brevis
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 13:42
Try the salmon's trip & reborn.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 17:12
Just an addition DB, Anargyros "Silver" Kolouris was a founder of Aphrodite's Child in 1968, the problem is that before the release of their first album (After some recording sessions) he was called tro do Military Service back in Greece and only released back to civil life for the recording of 666 in 1970'.

As you mention, the album was ready in 1970 but no label had the guts to release a red album with a big 666 (Boycott by radical sectors was announced) specially because they wrote "This album was recoded under the influence of Sahlep" all the fundamentalists had a feast they said that Sahlep was a drug and others that it was an ancient Greek demon, but the reality was that it was only a non alcoholic beverage very common in Turkey.

Of course the song Infinity (Symbol) didn't helped, Irene Pappas had a several minutes fake  orgasm in that track in reference to the Babylon Whore mentioned in the Book of Revelations.

Nice list BTW

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 29 2007 at 17:14

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 17:33
^^ Not only in Turkey, apparently in Greece as well Tongue
(you should've quoted me, Ivan, I remember explaining the "non-alcohol" thing to you! Big%20smile Nevertheless, thanks anyway for bringing the subject up and at least mentioning my country LOL)

As for Irene Papas' "fake orgasm" thing: though your explanation also makes sense, the "official" info is a bit different:
"Infinite": Giorgio Gomelsky brought John Forst the Narrator, because Costas Ferris asked him somebody speaking with very heavy British accent, and very cold blooded, to make the contrast with the final hysteria. In the initial book (to be represented as a big circus show) the Narrator was supposed to get into hysteria, and he was supposed to perform "I was, I am, I am to come". But Irene came in, and she did it in this extraordinary improvisation.
The words are: "I was, I am, I am to come".
It is the inversion of "Who was, is, is to come" of the Revelation, attributed to the Good.
Here, the "Bad", (the Beast, 666) turns this phrase inte Ego, (first person), and tries to be born again, or to give birth to another Ego, or to "make love" to is own self and so on. Vicious circle.
The percussion in "infinite", is Vangelis, improvising together with Irene. In fact she started reccording "a capella", and during that they had the idea, Vangelis took in hand some metal things and a shirt, and went in the studio.
The whole recording (before cutting) of  "infinite", was 39 minutes!!!!!

(taken from http://www.engelen.demon.nl/666story.htm) also includes very interesting other trivia about the album (as well as the Sahlep thing LOL)...

anyway, I'm actually here to inquire about Socrates... as far as I can see, it is a heavy rock/ psyche band which eventually turned into prog, apparently by a big hand from the big V... I had superficially listened their self-titled album before, and today I DL'ed other two appreciated albums, including Phos with Vangelis' contribution... Who do you think should deal with this band? I mean, should I appeal to Art-Rock team first, or should I bring it up in my own team's thread?

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 18:33
No Bilek, you only told me it was non alcoholic LOL

But the Sahlep we had in the university days while studying was very loaded with alcohol Wink and we drank it a friends house who's parents were from Turkey.

BTW: The interpretations on 666 are as many as possible explanations you can find about the Book of Revelations.

Iván

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 09:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I was talking exactly about that Wink...
And I heard sahlep could be prepared with alcohol only from you... (including one of your previous posts about an Arabic guy who sold it that way...) people are obviously eager to make new inventions on booze LOL

btw, I forgot last time, but Eirene Papas (the "screamer" on Infinity...) is well known in Turkey for her performance in Moustapha Aqad's groundbreking movie on life of the Islam prophet, The Message! She acted as "Hind", wife of Abou Soufyan, who was Prophet Mohammad's uncle, and both were portrayed as the major villains in the movie! (e.g., Hind was responsible for the slaughter of Hamza, another uncle of Mohammad, and his greatest supporter during his lifetime... The problem is, Mohammad's severer adversaries had not been protrayed in the movie at all... ) More interestingly, both Soufyan and Hind ended up converting to Islam after the conquest of Mecca by Muslims, an interesting event which wasn't included in the movie! Having seen the film at least 20 times (it is aired at least once every Ramadan here!) my first impression about the "Infinity" track was very mixed Wink..
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 11:54
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I was talking exactly about that Wink...
And I heard sahlep could be prepared with alcohol only from you... (including one of your previous posts about an Arabic guy who sold it that way...) people are obviously eager to make new inventions on booze LOL

Yes Bilek, people prepare strange things and add liquorto tea or cofee too, even when they are non alcoholic beveages.

In Perú there's a latge Arab colony, but most of them are catholic Peruvians that keep part of their ancesters inheritance and created a creole culture.

Here you can eat Arab rice, buy Arab bread (ggod for diet) anywhere or have a Sahlep with some booze, this guy told us that's the way his father drank it and I believed him, that's why as soon as you ytold me Sahlep was essentially non alcoholic I corrected it.

But believe me the sahlep with a bit of liquor tastes good and helps you keep awaken in long study sessions.

Iván

cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 12:14
ClapClapClapExcellent!!!!  I was so glad to read this thread.  I must admit that despite living in Greece I am not familiar with all the artists mentioned but I can certainly recommend PELOMA BOKIOU, DIONYSIS SAVVOPOULOS and SOCRATIS DRUNK THE CONIUM.  Check out Savvopoulos's "Mavri Thalassa" on the album "Vromiko Psomi"
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12