Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeart vs. Portnoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who is technically better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
70 [68.63%]
32 [31.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 13:27
Originally posted by MattiR MattiR wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Peart. After all, Peart is Portnoy's idol (from what i've heard). Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're absolutely rightClap

A lot of young drummers - after they had been watching Neil Peart's performances in various situations - resigned as music drummers --> Peart was fantastic player.

Portnoy didn't give upSmile

And actually got better than Peart!
raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 13:31
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

<<I can understand all the Rush fan boys voting Peart but take it from a drummer, Portnoy is a far better player. He is also more eclectic & capable of adapting to different styles. Just look at his side projects! What has Peart done outside of Rush?>>

Eh, I may be a drummer wannabe, but it's going to take a bit more to convince me that Portnoy's better. Besides, what does the number of side projects have to do with how good you are?

E

A CV is very important in any profession! It shows that Peart wasn't capable of adapting to any other technique other than rock music IMO. He has never done any session work or been invited to guest  by any other artist that I know of. Look at all the great drummers CV's for a comparisons to Pearts, which is blank!
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 14:42
Originally posted by raindance raindance wrote:

A CV is very important in any profession! It shows that Peart wasn't capable of adapting to any other technique other than rock music IMO. He has never done any session work or been invited to guest  by any other artist that I know of. Look at all the great drummers CV's for a comparisons to Pearts, which is blank!

CV in case of N. Peart is simply Rush. That's great CV.

OK, N. Peart has been playing only in Rush, Portnoy has been playing in hundreds bands, music projects.
Maybe Peart doesn't want to play outside of Rush? It would be unwise to think other bands, other musicians don't want to cooperate with PeartSmile
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 16:59
<<A CV is very important in any profession! It shows that Peart wasn't capable of adapting to any other technique other than rock music IMO. He has never done any session work or been invited to guest by any other artist that I know of. Look at all the great drummers CV's for a comparisons to Pearts, which is blank!>>

After the Buddy Rich tribute show, Peart did some big band projects. As far as adapting, to go from Rush to playing with a big band is a pretty big leap, in my opinion. He didn't have a ton of time to rehearse, but still did a friggin' good job. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it.

E
Articuno1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 17:14
Peart. No question.
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 18:00
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Portnoy - I like Transatlantic more than Rush

I also like Transatlantic more, but Peart is clearly Sperior. As Good as Portnoy is, it's hard to outclass Neal.

Perhaps, I do not bother to listen to Rush, if I don't like it that much - my answer for the drummers' poll is in fact Bill Bruford
yet you still have time!
Soupykan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 19:43

I can't say with certainty who is technically better, but I happen to like Peart more.

She ruled the toads of the short forest
And every Newt in Idaho....
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 02:31
Both versatile players, both technically skilled, both fantastic lyricists...a hard choice...
But Portnoy has always impressed me more...maybe because I like Dream Theater more than Rush.

Anyway, they are my #1 and #2 favourite drummers! Great job, folks!
A flower?

MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 09:14

<<A CV is very important in any profession! It shows that Peart wasn't capable of adapting to any other technique other than rock music IMO. He has never done any session work or been invited to guest by any other artist that I know of. Look at all the great drummers CV's for a comparisons to Pearts, which is blank!>>

I know CV is a very important thing nowadays. In case of Peart I repeat Peart has got no blank CV. I've got blank CV, because I'm not a drummer, even - I'm not a musician. But not Peart.

He has been playing only in Rush. And this 'blank' CV was sufficient to consider him as an excellent player. Some musicians need to play in various bands, music projects to be consider as a good musiacians. Peart didn't need wonderful CV to be a big drummer. Conclusion --> Peart is an excellent drummer.

I don't know a lot about Peart's life. I don't know whether Peart is capable of playing in other bands than Rush. But I think playing in other ones isn't a great dream of Peart. Probably Peart wants to play only in Rush. It's enough for him. Portnoy's music life is quite different. OK, Portnoy is a fantastic player with wonderful CV. But Peart is Peart.

What about CV of such men like: Geddy Lee, Chris Squire (OK - "Run With The Fox", XYZ, solo album, Conspiracy - nothing special outside of Yes)? Aren't they great musicians?Wink
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 07:49
Maybe Portnoy does all of these side projects due to hyperactivity. Peart seems to be a more laid back and content sort; whereas, Portnoy has a ton of restless energy. I have a brother like that--always has to try new career ventures (which is why he's been in China for 3 months), and he's always been the hyper one. Doesn't mean he's more talented than me, however. As a matter of fact, I (being the content one) work in the creative field.

E
UnknownFlow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 08:34
Peart and Portnoy are equal in my books. But Phil Collins is my favorite drummer and favorite overall musician for that matter.

Gavin Harrison and Danny Carey should probably given a chance once in a while i feel, they have some pretty serious talent. Gavin Harrison especially has one hell of a CV.
VERS View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 01:06
Peart wins any poll
shanocles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 22:38
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Who is better at the double bass pedal, however?

E

Easy...Danny Carey.

nah donati is the best double pedal kicker. TOTALLY!
if left is wrong i don't wanna be right...
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 07:42
Neil Peart.
Without Neil Peart we would not hear much from Mike Portnoy.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 08:01

CV in case of N. Peart is simply Rush. That's great CV.OK, N. Peart has been playing only in Rush, Portnoy has been playing in hundreds bands, music projects.Maybe Peart doesn't want to play outside of Rush? It would be unwise to think other bands, other musicians don't want to cooperate with Peart

Not true.

Peart masterminded (ie produced,played on and organised) the two "Burning For Buddy" Cds which featured a host of top drummers.

He plays on two tracks on Jeff Berlin & Vox Humana's Champion album from 1985.

Neil appears on the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship Concert, Vol. Three & Four, 1991

He also appears on The Rheostatics' Whale Music, from 1992

and in 2006 Neil is to perform on Vertical Horizon's Next Album

He claims to get most of his musical fulfillment from Rush and dont forget that between 1997 and 2002 he was just getting his life back together. He fills most of his spare non-Rush time travelling and writing books and has his latest one out next week.

Edited by Tony R - September 12 2006 at 08:12
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 08:17
Since we're deciding who is technically better, then I think that honour goes to Portnoy.

I don't like his style at all - I think he's insensitive to the music on the whole, especially when compared to Peart - but in terms of pure technique, he has Peart's licks plus those of many other drummers off pat, and with ana..., sorry, surgical precision.

Since knowing and using more techniques is necessarily better than knowing and using fewer techniques, Portnoy gets this vote.

But, noting that technical prowess does not equal musical prowess, technically, I prefer Peart
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 08:18
Originally posted by shanocles shanocles wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Who is better at the double bass pedal, however?

E

Easy...Danny Carey.

nah donati is the best double pedal kicker. TOTALLY!
Billy Cobham!
oops sorry....I voted Peart!
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 09:10
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

CV in case of N. Peart is simply Rush. That's great CV.OK, N. Peart has been playing only in Rush, Portnoy has been playing in hundreds bands, music projects.Maybe Peart doesn't want to play outside of Rush? It would be unwise to think other bands, other musicians don't want to cooperate with Peart

Not true.

Peart masterminded (ie produced,played on and organised) the two "Burning For Buddy" Cds which featured a host of top drummers.

He plays on two tracks on Jeff Berlin & Vox Humana's Champion album from 1985.

Neil appears on the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship Concert, Vol. Three & Four, 1991

He also appears on The Rheostatics' Whale Music, from 1992

and in 2006 Neil is to perform on Vertical Horizon's Next Album

He claims to get most of his musical fulfillment from Rush and dont forget that between 1997 and 2002 he was just getting his life back together. He fills most of his spare non-Rush time travelling and writing books and has his latest one out next week.

I don't know anything about his 'outside of Rush' life. I admit. Thx for these infosSmile

btw --> I'm right. Peart is better than PortnoyWink
Benjamin_Breeg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 15:12
i think Portnoy's better and i like better DT than Rush (I can't stand too long Geddy Lee's voice)
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 15:32
^And you post that when the clock is 21:12. LOL

No insult or anything, I just thought it was a little ironic. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>