Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 282>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 11:16
I've deleted it. There is an obvious copyright issue that could get us in trouble.

Should have pmd the reviewer though..Embarrassed

I'm a bit excited because Man Utd are beating Liverpool 3-0
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 11:13
what kind of crap is this.. that is not a review..  not allowed here is it.. reprinted another review as your own. Credited or not

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=164708
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 16:03
The amazing Zardoz is back, whatever happened to the idea of limiting the number of reviews posted in one day?
It could be one more way to make the front page more appealing.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 11:32
I've asked him to edit them.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhikkhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 09:56
Hey, check this guy's reviews of the Beatles. They are more of a political statement about them being here, than actual reviews.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=164502

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=164501

And progrules is a Prog Reviewer too. Shouldn't we expect more?

Edited by bhikkhu - March 21 2008 at 10:01
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 12:03

No more discussion in this thread please. Improvement suggestions should be made in the "Help us improve the site" section.

Brief posts only here reporting inapproriate reviews. (Other posts will be removed)

(The reason for this is that it keeps this thread alive for longer before it becomes full. We then have to re-point the links to the reviews reporting thread to another new thread)

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 11:48
I preferred the old system as well, I think it was better visually. Anyway, I guess this isn't the right place to be posting this.

Edited by Easy Money - March 18 2008 at 12:55
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuxon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 09:38
I too prefer the old system, all the reviews in one long column, preferable as a whole and not like currently just the first few sentences.

Current system indeed puts the non-collab reviews out of sight, good reviews can't be found with this system.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 08:53
^^^^

Nevertheless Raff, the actual system of two columns make it more difficult to read the reviews. The old layout  (1 column) was best
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 04:08

A question comes unbidden to my mind concerning the 'brushing under the carpet' of non-Collab reviews... Is it really so difficult to click on the words 'read more', or on 'show all reviews'?Confused I always do so when I start reviewing an album, because I am interested in seeing what EVERYONE before me had to say about it.

Mind you, I don't want to defend the current state of affairs, since in the past I spoke against the partial 'disappearance' of non-Collab reviews and the new layout of album pages. However, short, crappy reviews have always existed, and they were to be found even before the new layout was implemented. There are lots of non-Collabs who still bother to write excellent, sometimes extensive reviews, and don't lose sleep about the fact that they (and everyone else) will have to click on 'read more' once they disappear from the front page. The reasons why some people post worthless reviews go way beyond matters of weighting or visibility.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Originally posted by Kobaia Kobaia wrote:

Nobody ever thought the policy of reviews here? It goes like this:

Imagine a random proghead, pops here and wants to rate some records...

1) The site demands you to write a short review to support your rating
2) If you don't write it, the site punishes you with a (even) lesser weight of your rating
3) Your review will be brushed under the carpet anyhow (limited visibility)

This site even encourages to write short, bad reviews. I'd expect more of those.

The site encourages the reviewers to support their ratings with a text accordingly. Our expectations are in the direction that reviewers with time would eventually improve their skills and write even more useful reviews.

Hmmm.... What's behind those expectations?
What's the reward? Why somebody would spent an hour or two by listening the album and writing a proper review of it? It's a lot easier to type some random opinions about the album just to fulfill the wordcount and get higher weighting. Further considering the review is "brushed under the carpet" in any case.
Like myself, the only reason for me to write even decent review is my self-respect (that have failed me a few times Big%20smile ).

Furthermore, the site expresses its trust to a reviewer by denying him to edit (read: improve) his own reviews! Also that's a deed for a review quality? Confused

The site expresses its trust to a reviewer by promoting him/her to the status of Prog-Reviewer and also even for those not yet promoted the Review Moderators are always ready to help editing (improving) if and when needed.

Since my post have woken some weird thoughts (People seem not to comprehend it, I'm even getting curious personal messages), I'd liked to straighten it...
I'm not attacking anybody, not even the site or it's policy. My purpose is only to make a note of few facts and where they may lead when put together.

Again, imagine a random proghead, pops here and wants to rate some records...

He/she has 3 choices:
1. Make a rating without a review
2. Rate with a proper review
3. Rate with a fast, crappy review

Now he knows that the weight of his/her rating will be something ridiculous without a review, and on the other hand, the site strongly encourages him/her to write a review. So, the choice no. 1 is bad. He/she decides to write a review.

Next he/she considers the choice 2. So, he/she can spent few hours with his/her review just to see that in the end it will be "brushed under the carpet", i.e. only few first words will remain visible...

On the other hand, choice 3 would make a same effect on rating but with far less work. Furthermore, it wouldn't piss off so much when the reviews visibility is cut off.

So the choice is been made...

Now, Atkingani suggests that the reward of no 2 is possible promotion to the status of Prog-Reviewer.  I just ask how many of these reviewers really want to be a prog-reviewer? When he/she considers the choice 2, he/she thinks: "Hmm... If I write a couple of hundred really good reviews I might me promoted to a prog-reviewer". Alright, it might happen in 0,1% of cases but the rest in not really realistic.

Edited by Kobaia - March 17 2008 at 17:13
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R o V e R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 15:22
Ya man, I missed PR,..
work work,.. I'll get sometime,. and Post things, Like Megadeth and Machinhead was here in weekend in my city,
I'm not that crazy about this bands , but it was great live performance , :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

this review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=162863

it sounds completely unprofessional. idk you guys make the call but it isn't flattering for the site to host something like this.

Yes. I reported the same review some weeks ago, and it wasn`t deleted!

Also, it is not the only  review for this album that has the word "crap" or something like that.

now that Guigo is back from vacation... maybe he'll do us all a favor and eliminate that travesty of an album review. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guillermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 11:37
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

it sounds completely unprofessional. idk you guys make the call but it isn't flattering for the site to host something like this.

Yes. I reported the same review some weeks ago, and it wasn`t deleted!

Also, it is not the only  review for this album that has the word "crap" or something like that.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 09:25
I never imagine one would interpret "1) The site demands you to write a short review to support your rating" as write short, instead of long reviews, instead of write something, instead of simply rating. Confused

And is "demands" the exact word in the policy?

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 08:50

2) If you don't write it, the site punishes you with a (even) lesser weight of your rating

This site even encourages to write short, bad reviews. I'd expect more of those.

The site encourages the reviewers to support their ratings with a text accordingly. Our expectations are in the direction that reviewers with time would eventually improve their skills and write even more useful reviews.

What's the reward? Why somebody would spent an hour or two by listening the album and writing a proper review of it? It's a lot easier to type some random opinions about the album just to fulfill the wordcount and get higher weighting. Further considering the review is "brushed under the carpet" in any case.
Like myself, the only reason for me to write even decent review is my self-respect (that have failed me a few times Big%20smile ).

Furthermore, the site expresses its trust to a reviewer by denying him to edit (read: improve) his own reviews! Also that's a deed for a review quality? Confused

The site expresses its trust to a reviewer by promoting him/her to the status of Prog-Reviewer and also even for those not yet promoted the Review Moderators are always ready to help editing (improving) if and when needed.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 02:44
the real satisfaction is in a good review, expressing yourself well and helping someone who hasn't heard the album

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 02:39

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJPuffyLemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 23:53

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 17:07

Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 282>